1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein/ESPN] Rockets philosophically opposed to buyouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jan 10, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why would Morey do that? So T-Mac can go potentially help another western conference team and hurt the Rockets chances of making the playoffs?

Unless T-Mac's leaving A LOT OF money on the buyout table, no way Morey even think about it. T-Mac already left the team. So the Rockets don't even need to worry about locker room problems.

2. VBG

VBG Member

I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mac leaves money if a buyout becomes an option.

He cares more about his rep than money (completely baseless statement)

3. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I don't know how he could be a part of an NBA team's long-term plans since we've seen that his body can't hold up well through the grind of the league's 82-game schedule within the past four seasons.

He'll be lucky if he even gets a one-year deal for next season at an MLE or over half of it IMO.

4. realmustang

realmustang Member

Why would they worry about him going to a competitor when they think he's washed up? He'll eventually go, if not this year then next year.

5. battousai

battousai Member

regardless with or without insurance pay. Tmac buyout is as dumb as Isash thomas still the knicks GM.

why would we want to buy him out? Why? unless tmac is willing to take on a pay cut, i mean a real pay cut.

other than that, why should be pay him and let him benfit other teams?

If he doesn't get traded, I think Tmac would take a big paycut. for one, this is his contract year. If he can't showcase his still got game, no one would even ask for him in the summer. so the ballis in our court. We either trade him or he take a big paycut.

6. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

We should wait until a few days before the deadline and then just accept the best offer we'll have at the time.

7. realmustang

realmustang Member

Did you not see the video where Keath Jones, the Rockets trainer, says that they were aware that T-Mac needed Microfracture Surgery before the season even started but they decided to try another type of surgery first because Microfracture Surgery could have been a career ending surgery. You guys really have to stop saying that T-Mac did not need to have that surgery because even the Rockets medical staff admits that he did. :mad:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they can't find a trade they like, then I suspect they negotiate a buyout.

But it would be expensive for TMac, as they would want him to take about $4 million off his salary to get under the Lux tax line.

So, if he really wants to, I guess he could...but it would be a LOT $$$$ to leave.

DD™

9. number22

number22 Member

Thats not entirely true, they didn't find any change in the knee from the initial mri, which showed that microfracture was indeed needed.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

We should also break T-Mac's knees so he never plays again, how dare he messes with the city of Houston and all its wonderful people. We never deserved any of this T-Mac. Sigh, he has put us through so much words do no justice...
    [​IMG]

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Can't S&T a guy you bought out. That simple.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Rehashing the past really gets old, but:
    It did not show it was needed. Microfracture was always an extreme OPTION. Shane mentioned having a similar option with his ankle, but he choose to work through it.

Tracy needed some 5 or 6 opinions before he got one willing to cut.

13. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

This whole Tracy mcgrady thing is really becoming annoying I wish they trade play or buy the man out already. How much longer are these people going to talk about this

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Probably until something happens, I mean this is a fan site, it is sort of what it is for, you know.

DD™

15. number22

number22 Member

I don't wanna derail the thread, it was always an option. mri showed articular cartilage damage which is different from the commonly referred cartilage damage

Which is menisci cartilage damage. Articular cartilage damage usually requires micro fracture ie kenyon martin, amare stoudemire

16. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, I did not see that video and given that T-Mac threw Jones under the bus when he had his microfracture I'm highly skeptical. Do you have an actual link?

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It was an option that Tom Clanton didn't think was necessary. McGrady had to go shopping for doctors in NY/NJ to find one who was willing to recommend microfracture as a treatment.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Bluff. Morey doesn't want any team to think they don't have to offer a trade because they could get McGrady off of waivers. If Morey wants people to think he's philosophically opposed to buy-outs, he has to establish a track record of avoiding them, which he hasn't done.

A buy-out makes too much sense to not do. We need to shave a couple million off the payroll to avoid the luxury tax. Trading T-Mac should get that done. If it doesn't and the deadline has past, our only remaining option to avoid the tax is a reduced-salary buy-out.

And McGrady will go along and sacrifice the necessary money to be bought out. Then, he can go to a team that will let him play and audition for the offseason. If he doesn't, he could stand to lose even more money in next year's salary than he'd sacrifice in the buy-out.

I don't know if ruling buy-outs out gives us a better bargaining position at the trade table though. If the trade partner genuinely thought Morey absolutely would not do a buy-out, then he'd know that Morey must make a trade. Otherwise, he'll hit the luxury tax. So, a partner may offer less to trade for McGrady.

I seriously doubt insurance is paying any of McGrady's salary anymore. He's healthy now and has played in games. The insurance company is off the hook now and the Rockets are on the hook.

19. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

the dang Mustang only goes where it wants to. It won't take you where you want to go. The mustang is really concerned about it's own future and is in a contract year.

I'm done with this metaphor.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they are so scared he will help an opponent - why don't the Rockets just play him?