1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Bargnani for Boozer trade being discussed

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Feb 7, 2013.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8927362/chicago-bulls-toronto-raptors-talking-carlos-boozer-andrea-bargnani-swap-sources-say

2. Anxiety Trooper

Interesting. If I'm Toronto I'd just let Bargini play out his contract rather than take back boozer and his. If I'm Chicago I do this deal and roll the dice. You already know boozer ain't good enough and he'll only get worse.

3. MrJason

MrJason Member

Toronto trolling hard right now.

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Makes the Raptors even more mediocre. I don't really get this for Chicago though. Why mess with something that's working so well?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Barg brings some more offense to a def team

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Noah will continue to have a hard time on defense with Bargnani.
    I don't see a real upgrade on offense, for Chicago.Their rebounding may get weaker too.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The thing with Boozer is he's stubborn despite a good motor. Barkley often did the static stretching post exertions and tried to get his body prepared best he could for the next game or practice. Boozer had a great standing reach and defensive presence but is being slowed down from improper or laziness in preparation aka slow down by nagging soreness.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

If a kind and loving God exists, He will let Bargs and Thibs end up on the same team.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Told Bulls initiated. And unlikely. RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/espnsteinline">espnsteinline</a>: Sources say Bulls, Raptors have had talks on trade featuring Boozer, Bargnani.</p>&mdash; K.C Johnson (@KCJHoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/299662098991022081">February 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

This is why I hate it when clutchfans wants Houston to trade for Millsap, Jefferson, Granger etc

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think the Rox's Lithuanian can be better than Bargs. Just my opinion though.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Taj Gibson has proven he's more than capable of stepping in at the PF spot if Boozer were to depart. He can defend rebound and hit the mid range shot at almost half the salary Boozer is at.

Bargnani would come off the bench if this were to go down. I like it for the Bulls, not so much for the Raptors.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's really just a salary move in the end.

Boozer's salary numbers are 15m 15.3m 16.8m
    Bargnani's numbers are 10m 11m 12m

Next season Taj Gibson has a $5m increase, which can be offset by not taking the option on Hamilton's $5m contract.

It would get Chicago under the tax-line this season without them giving up a pick to dump Hamilton's contract. And they'd be able to avoid the taxline next season by moving the expiring contract of Hinrich (assuming they replace him via the draft or a minimum contract free agent).

Could be worse from Toronto's point of view as well couldn't it?? They won't be in lux-tax land next season either, and would have a 'solid' all around lineup and a very good shot at the playoffs in the East.
    Sure, it doesn't make them a contender, but given that Toronto is an unpopular destination anyway, why not at least try and build some sort of winning culture in the short term?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...oronto-raptors-trade-20130207,0,1586359.story

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There you go!

Bulls looking to sneak JLIII as part of the deal = backup PG next season AND freedom to dump Hinrich's salary next year to get under the lux tax line.

Deal is all about ca$h for Chicago. They feel Gibson can give them enough at the PF spot, and so will just 'downgrade' the amount of money they owe to the other PF.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lowry-DeRozan-Gay-Boozer-Gray = CHAMPIONSHIP?

[​IMG]

lol

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Exactly! Other teams will be talking about Lin, Asik, Parsons, Patterson in a few years and Beverley, Motiejunas, White, Jones, etc down the line. If they keep developing at this pace and learning team basketball. They will be above average starters or a the key vet a bench needs. Excellent trade values for future high projected lotto picks and still have some of the current rookies stepping up

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A couple cap notes (as far as I can tell):

1. This trade needs a few minor pieces thrown in to make the salary work, but with the right throw-ins, the deal can help the Bulls get out of luxury tax territory this season and next season.

2. The trade-off is that Bargnani's contract, unlike Boozer's, cannot be amnestied by the Bulls. Amnestying Boozer (coupled with the fact that Luol Deng's contract expires in 2014) would have most likely given the Bulls max cap room in summer 2014. Having Bargnani's $11.5M salary (an option on his part) on the books means they are unlikely to have meaningful cap room for summer 2014.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I like the Bulls a lot. I strongly dislike Carlos Boozer. Would love for them to dump the guy even though it might weaken their team some. Count me a huge skeptic of Bargnani, but he might be a good 6th man for the Bulls. In the 4th quarter, being a 3rd option after Rose and Deng might work for him.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hopefully, Thibs lights a fire under Bargnani's ass.

Might as well do this for Chicago, this is a lost season and Bargs is cheaper (never thought I'd say that).

for toronto, it's all about selling tickets, being perennial 8th seeders, and most of all, keeping colangelo's job.