1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol to Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I have been told that some front office's are not fond of dealing with Danny Ainge because he wastes their time and deals never get done. I get holding onto assets and accumulating them, but at this point a lot of his assets are starting to rot on the vine.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Greg Monroe/2nd rd pick to the Nets for cash considerations.

Vivi likes this.
  3. what

what Member

Somebody said on our board that the grizzlies trade of Marc to Toronto was a favor to Marc from Robert Pera. Wow.

hakeem94, Vivi and malakas like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

well isn't he worth it?
    It's not like the Grizzlies would be able to get a good first or a premium asset.
    They owe it to Gasol to at least send him to a good team.

5. what

what Member

I guess. And I do understand. Pera and Gasol are tight like Chandler and Cuban. He and marc are best buds.

malakas likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Memphis got back Vala in the end...i mean, i'm not a great fan but he's a good player, still 26...if they can keep him on a decent deal, it's better than getting a protected crappy 1st imo. Vala and Jaren are a pretty good front court on paper.

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  7. what

what Member

It's okay, but I personally want rabb next to jaren.

8. mig0s

mig0s Member

Serious question, at this point of their careers, is Gasol that much better than Valenciunas?

9. what

what Member

He is certainly better, but I'm not mad that we traded Marc, marc was weighing our team down. I just didn't want another marc on the team and especially the established player in the deal. I want the grizzlies to move away from these slow euro centers.

Also, marc is a clutch player. He can make a shot when the pressure is on, Jonas can make a PLAY maybe when the pressure is on, you aren't going to give him the ball and expect him to win a game for you. You can do that with marc.

If marc and toronto can shut up the warriors then that will be the greatest part of this trade, in my opinion.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

He'll still get his minutes i guess, and if he's that good you can always trade Vala if he's on a good deal.

11. malakas

malakas Member

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think Gasol fits in better than Valanciunas, who had been relegated to only 18mpg. JV can't make plays, he's a finisher and rebounder but a defensive liability. Gasol has reliable range and is a better defender and passer. At 34, he's no longer a building block but still have valuable skills for a team that wants to make the finals.

malakas likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Very true

14. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Good pickup for them. I didnt see any way they could defend Giannis or Embiid come playoff time and this move changes that

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Love this trade for the Raptors! So excited for the Eastern conference playoffs (havent said that in forever lol). For those wondering if a 34 year old Gasol will make any difference... definitely not if he was relied on to be the best, 2nd best or even 3rd best player on the team. But with this Raptors team, Gasol just needs to be the 4th or 5th best player, contributing 22 to 28 minutes a game... while providing better defense, passing, playmaking and shooting than Val.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I still think Marc and Pau are gonna at least play together before they retire

hakeem94 and CK Johnson like this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

None of these teams are better than the Heatles nor a healthy version of the Cavs with Kyrie and Love. They would only have arguments to last year's Cavs when it was just LeBron.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Dont worry you stil have jb bickerstaff!

malakas and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Memphis pulled off a heist. Nobody was gonna give them a star big man JV for over the hill Gasol. But in some ways Toronto had to make a trade, though whether Gasol will really move the needle is to be seen.

If Kawhi stays though.. then all bets off the table. Its a A+++ for Toronto no matter what happens.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Well LeBron couldn't have beaten himself couldn't he?