1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana stops child's severe seizures

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Miracles Boys33, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Miracles Boys33

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-mar1juana/?hpt=us_c2

Thought i'd share this and nice too see this help her. I still don't know why its illegal

1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

well its a CNS depressant. Alcohol would stop his seizures too considering its a barb and most anti seizure meds are too.

I'm all for legalizing, but if I were a parent I wouldn't rely on weed to stop seizures. Just get the meds, they hamper your performance but its worth not having your child collapse and aspirate on their own spit.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Didn’t you read the parts that Nothing tried worked until this. And the part that the child isn't getting high with its use.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

This is incredible. I can relate to this (as in I get them now for no reason, not as a baby obviously). This is really interesting, great post.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

As the article stated, she has a rare form of epilepsy that is non responsive to medicine.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Can you read the article before commenting?

7. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Its great for nausea too :cool:

8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Old school Mexicans put buds in rubbing alcohol and use it as a topical pain reliever.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Alcohol is not a barbiturate. Also, read the article.

10. treeman

treeman Member

Put me in the "Legalize" camp, too. It is past time to end the ridiculous war on drugs.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to be an @ss, but I would like to make a point, so please don't take this personally - it is just a comment about people in general. People always have a mar1juana story about how great the reefer is that ends with "end the war on drugs". But you know what else is part of the war on drugs? Heroin, Cocaine, Meth, etc.

Nobody ever comes up with a timely smack story that concludes with the idea that we should end the war on drugs.

12. treeman

treeman Member

And I completely understand that. I am very hesitant to advocate full legalization. After thinking about it for decades I am still not convinced that full, total, "anything goes" legalization is the way to go. I know what meth does to people. I know how people act when they're on coke. It's a different league from weed. I put weed in a separate category.

Somewhere around 7% or so of people who get addicted to meth end up kicking the habit. It completely destroys lives, and I can't advocating legalizing it. Coke and crack, while not quite as destructive, are pretty close.

But weed... not in the same league. Yes, I know it's a gateway. So is alcohol. But when someone gets stoned they're more apt to sit on the couch and laugh at a Ren & Stimpy episode while eating pizza than go out and rob a liquor store or jump someone for some cash or whatever.

The nation's prisons and jails are FULL of people with nothing more than a mar1juana charge. I want to see that end. It costs ridiculous amounts of $$ to keep them incarcerated and process their legal cases, and the social cost of someone having BS weed charges on their background are actually quite large - that can be the difference between someone getting a decent job and being banned from decent employment. All of that should stop.

We pass laws that control substances that we put into our bodies. Some of those laws are very well thought out and well reasoned. Some aren't. Some substances we want to restrict, some we are OK with the general public having access to. We have to consider the costs involved in banning such substances, I think. They are not all equal, and we shouldn't treat them as such.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Meth is a drug that exists entirely as a result of the war on drugs. If people could legally purchase the amphetamines that our pilots get every time they fly, meth would be as marginalized and minimized as bathtub gin.

Crack is the same thing, a drug created so that dealers would have a high-potency, easily measured quantity of cocaine that they can sell on the street. Before cocaine was legal, its primary methods of ingestion were Coca-Cola and Vin Mariani, a mixture of cocaine and wine. In a regulated market, we can control how the drugs are sold and thus mitigate the harms that the drugs cause in our society.

The only one you mentioned that I wouldn't sell directly on the market is heroin, but even it isn't the demon that you seem to be scared of. In Switzerland, they have had a prescription heroin program for addicts who don't respond to other treatment modalities. Participants have dramatically lowered their criminality and are able to be productive members of society as a result of the fact that they aren't marginalized. This program has survived for nearly 20 years and nobody over there seems concerned about hordes of roving heroin zombies.

The war on drugs is a failure. There are better ways to deal with the issues of drug use and abuse in our society.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=63243

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not to pile on, but christ, read the ****ing article first.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Completely agree. Except for the gateway part. Don't think weed is that (smoking and alcohol would be more of a gateway than weed) . A study in 1999 and ever since pretty much concluded it isn't.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Gateway to [insert other drug here] is just some dumb **** parents and anti-drug members make up to scare people; its a scare tactic I'm pretty sure the Tobacco industry has a hand in it to. The day weed becomes legal is the day that the Tobacco industry will take a massive hit, no pun intended.

17. treeman

treeman Member

To clarify, I think it's a gateway simply because it is illegal, not because of any quality inherent to the substance itself. It's illegality forces it into the subculture where other drugs are popular. Legalize it and it can be separated from that.

18. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent post, as is GladiatoRowdy's (who's "new" moniker I can never remember how to spell without looking). Differently agree with both of you.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member