1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana Re-Shapes Brains of Users

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FYI I'm for legalization of mar1juana including recreational use. I didn't mean to post this as reefer madness but think it's an interesting study and wanted to hear what other's thought.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except there is a reason why we have panic and fear as it is helps to motivate us and also keeps us from doing a lot of stupid things. While we shouldn't let panic and fear run our lives it isn't a good idea to seriously impair those either.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Ahhhh I'm so high, employed and motivated!!

Someone help me I'm losing controllll!

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

Right but the point is they aren't widely adopted [yet]. I guess it's somewhat "encouraging" the the major cig companies are finally investing in e-cigs rather than trying to fight it.

I'd be thrilled if every smoker switched to e-cigs, but that's unrealistic. Still, it's probably worth advocating for "making the switch" over "quitting" so long as it doesn't result in mass dual-use of electronic and combustible.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Which you can put the weed in.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not surprised.

One interesting aspect of modern society is we think we can alter our brain with whatever (alcohol, meds, lack of sleep) and don't expect long term effects.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not surprised, at least folks can know what they are choosing to do to their brains.

DD

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think the reasons for it is a bit outdated by said 200,000 years if not more. We need v2 of it.

9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Once again. This study was supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (Grants 14118, 026002, 026104, and 027804 to
    H.C.B. and Grant 034093 to J.M.G.), the Office of National Drug Control Policy, Counterdrug Technology Assessment
    Center
    (Grants DABK39-03-0098 and DABK39-03-C-0098)"

*Pending confirmation in other cohorts of mar1juana
    users, the present findings suggest that further study of mar1juana
    effects are needed to help inform discussion about the legalization
    of mar1juana.

Without going into this research with the premiss of uncovering problems and showing how you will do so, it would never have been funded. Its not compelling data.

10. supdudes

supdudes Member

Instead of studies like this, why not invest more money in elucidating the potential therapeutic value of cannabinoids?

Several studies have already shown anti-cancer and anti-epileptic values. Smoking the plant is only one delivery route. One can juice, or make hemp oil.

Why such antagonism against one of nature's best plants? WHY? It boggle's the brain.

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

It's hard to because of FDA and DEAs stance on keeping it a schedule I. Theres some push right now to make it Schedule II... I think if Colorado and Washington's model works well and doesnt **** things up, then we could potentially see more and more movement lol

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

Most wont understand what you mean, as you're not being very precise... or, just flat out take your statement out of context... but... amen...

Humanity desperately needs to make as big a leap emotionally/psychologically... as it has technologically... Thus far, the former is FAR behind the latter...

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw a long line of stoners lined up at the ER today wanting to get MRIs to see what shape their brain had become. One said a Cheeto. Another said a bud with red hairs.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not quite. Even though we live in a modern and largely safe society there are still situations where we need fear to keep us from doing stupid things.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As you note there are studies done showing the positives of the mar1juana. To be truly informed though people should know both the positives and negatives. I mean would you want drug companies just to research the positive aspects of their drugs?

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

11 doobies a week? Who the hell smokes that much?

17. supdudes

supdudes Member

rocketsjudoka,

Yes, your reasoning is sound. But there is a difference between long-term effects and negative effects. Alot of drugs induce long term synaptic change. Alchohol, SSRI's, cigs...The list goes on.

Cannabis has NO right to be classified as Schedule 1. NONE based on the grouping criteria. Scientifically it is one of the tamest substances known to man. Alcohol kills millions, and many drugs have debilitating side effects. I don't know anyone that has died from a weed overdose, or killed someone while just on mar1juana alone. In history, there are so many documentations about the benefit of this plant.

It needs more attention. We are potentially looking at a huge medical break through here.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Perhaps most interesting is that there seems to be no mention of genetic pre-disposition to the brain permanently changing. This is unlike other drugs, where your genetics increase or decrease the likelihood that the brain will change or not change with use, or that you become addicted or not addicted. This report indicated permanent brain changes for everyone. If that's true, then truly it's even more disturbing as a drug that leads to brain disease as genetics are a non-factor.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

it's hard when you smoke 2 joints before you smoke 2 joints, and then you smoke 2 more.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Should be a schedule II or lower if you ask me

There is some medical use for it (which sched II states it does) so it doesnt make sense to keep it a schedule 1. The only few problems I see with it is for young users... and the issue of age. What age are we going to allow the medical use of mj since it can affect younger people more adversely? On top of that, the issue of plant consistency ; some mj grow more potent than others so how do we ensure every patient is receiving similar based strengths to standardize treatment and regulation? Because I don't see the FDA/DEA allowing it being dispensed without some sort of standardized dose.