1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Mannix} Rockets interested in Ty Lawson despite DUI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Chamillionaire

Great point. Pun not intended.

We still need another PG. Nick Johnson is gonna have to surprise a lot of people just to get burn. We literally don't have a true PG. Bev is 3 & D, Harden is a SG doing all the ball handling and most of the scoring.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Maybe we shouldn't get Lawson after all LOL

3. MistaK

MistaK Member

I'm assuming that your thinking is, that if you were surrounded by party goers/drunks, that you would end up just like them too and that associating with them would negatively affect your work. Well just cause you might be too weak to resist temptation, doesn't mean that others are.

Lawson's DUIs are inexcusable, BUT it is not like his drinking/partying or whatever the case may be has negatively affected his on court performance. He is definitely not washed up as a player. As a basketball player, he is one of the better PGs and comes with a reasonable contract. Definitely good enough to keep the other elite PGs in the West on their heels.

Harden is still only 25. So what if he likes to go out? In OKC and for the past 3 years as a Rocket, there haven't been any reports about Harden not putting in the necessary work, partying too hard or showing up for games drunk. The only such ''reports'' were manufactured by certain posters on this board. Now this has pretty much taken on a life of its own and suddenly Harden is on the verge of losing his basketball career because of excessive partying. Thats what some of the posts on here sound like. :rolleyes:

Also, maybe a change of scenery, playing for a contender alongside some seasoned vets will be good for Lawson.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

with Rafer Alston both DUI buddies

5. malakas

malakas Member

Just a correction ..it DID affect his on court perfomance. He failed to show up for the training in Denver after the ASW because he was too drunk from all the partying and the coach had to cancel early morning practices becaues the players were too busy partying. Now I have never heard anything else about other Denver players, so you know for who he did it.
    These instances are not in a vacuum by coincidence DUIs. He has been in a downward spiral that's obvious.
    The question is what he can do to help himself.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. I just don't trust his character. Maybe having a chance at winning a championship will help him focus. Maybe not.

7. MistaK

MistaK Member

Yeah I remember that, he missed his flight from Vegas or smthg. But it's not like this happens on a regular basis. Again, I'm not saying that his off-court actions should be condoned or that one cannot be concerned about them..but overall his on-court performance hasn't really declined and to say that he is washed up, in my opinion anyway, is incorrect. Production wise he has been pretty consistent over the course of his career.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe Morey's interest is an offer to Denver to give Lawson the MLE if they reach a buyout with Lawson? I.e. like the Dallas DWill deal.

9. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

One head band for another. The dynasty continues!

10. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Maybe not, but the Rockets aren't in a position where they can play it safe. They have to take the chance.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol you mean next to a hobo stomper?

12. malakas

malakas Member

oh no he's not washed up AT ALL. I totally agree here. He's one of the elite point guards.
    But his personal issues can't completely be isolated either from his profesional career. Because they have affected his work, in the way that he hasn't put the preparation and training needed and he has failed to show up for his professional apointment.
    It is vital whatever he does next that he takes step to rehab and get some phychological help. These can't be pulled under the rug and dismissed.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Wow who CAres

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Now Morey almost has to do this. He has very few options left at PG because he sat on Smith and McDaniels for 2 weeks. He can't trade Jones anymore because he lost Smith. And no other quality PG is currently on the market unless it's not being reported.

The only question is how do the Rockets trade for Lawson(assuming Denver doesn't cut him)? Do they have the salaries to match up if they don't include Jones?

15. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I know, what a stupid comment.

"Who cares?" is right...smartest thing I've ever seen you post.

So sick of the "TMZ / Us Weekly Harden bashing" BS around here.

16. rocketseagles07

Why you guys repeatedly mention harden's partying I'll never know. He just had the best season of his career and finished 2nd in the MVP race. He partied the whole year and everyone around him always says he has great work ethic. Why do you care? He's a single dude w/ no kids. After he puts in work on the court he can do what the hell he wants

1 person likes this.
  17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Not going to happen and if we bank on Ty and Harden to bring that throphy home, we are in trouble.

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

If we get Ty Lawson and nothing else happens, this offseason would be a major win.

19. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

$24 MM remaining for a troubled guard that is a sieve on defense? I would think twice about even moving TJ, who may actually get the deal done.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Have you guys been paying attention this off season?

$24m over 2 years is a bargain if this works out.