1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Mannix} Rockets interested in Ty Lawson despite DUI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Garner

Garner Member

As per grabtland, Denver was shopping Lawson for a lotto pick or two late firsts and heard crickets. His market value is horrid for a guy so talented.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Except that he was averaging 16.5 points, 10 rebounds and 1.6 blocks a game in the 11 games he started after coming back from his nerve injury and prior to his collapsed lung.

Oh and in his collapsed lung game he had 10 points on 4 of 5 shooting and 2 rebounds in only 8 minutes. Yeah your right, the collapsed lung clearly had no effect on his performance the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

3. YaoMayne

YaoMayne Member

So has he virtually become a salary dump?

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Which makes me think Denver may look to hold on to him to see if he can't rehab his image. His value certainly can't get any lower. Only caveat would be if Denver feels they just need to rid the team of the 'cancer.'

And without his 2nd DUI, I would have said that #18, #32, and TJ for Ty, despite his major defensive flaws, would have been a trade where everybody wins, and it doesn't sound like Houston was interested at even that price. Can't imagine us offering much now.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hadn't thought of that. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I felt that Denver was starting to get desperate to move him.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Yea, sounds like that is the type of offer Denver is groveling for.

Check out this interview between Zach Lowe and Denver HC Mike Malone:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/q...2010-playoffs-and-the-art-of-managing-boogie/

Have you talked to Ty Lawson since his recent arrest on suspicion of DUI?

Yeah. I’ve reached out, but there hasn’t been a lot of contact. He has a lot going on right now. We’re gonna see how this whole process shakes out.

Do you expect him to play at the start of the season?

Of course. If that changes, you go from there. But as of now, Ty Lawson is part of the Denver Nugget family.

Does that sound like anyone in the business of rehabbing an image?

7. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Even if they offered both Clarkson, and Randle, that only adds up to $3,977,299, way off from Lawson's salary, I don't know how they can get up to his salary, they are over the cap now, and there new FA signees can't be traded until December of this year.

They could deal Nick Young, but there goes Kobe's backup.

As for Draft picks. From BasketballInsiders.com

Pick Swaps

2016 — Owe first-rounder (top-three protected through 2017, unprotected in 2018) to Philadelphia 76ers (Steve Nash, Brandon Knight).

2018 — Owe first-rounder (top-five protected, unprotected in 2019) to Orlando Magic (Dwight Howard). If a first-rounder not sent to Philadelphia by 2017, pick to Orlando converts to 2017 and 2018 second-rounders.

2019 — Owe second-rounder to Indiana Pacers (Roy Hibbert).

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I really didn't think Ty would end up in LA now with what you posted I'm pretty confident that won't happen.

P.S
    Same AB from the 49erswebzone?

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd love to somehow squeeze Clarkson out of LA in a 3 way trade. Kid has athleticsm, can finish at the rim, and will develop into a decent shooter.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I happen to take care of people with pneumothorax, it has virtually no lasting effects. So roll your eyes and pretend to be an expert, but you're not.

His lines in the 5 preceding games:

3/12 7/11 DEN
    6-13, 17/12 POR
    4-9 11/10 UTA
    7/14 16/12 LAC (Blake's return game)
    3/6 10/2 ORL

5 games on return:

6/10 16/7 SAC
    3/6 7/5 DAL
    2/5 6/3 OKC
    1/3 2/0 SAS
    5/9 14/6 SAS

could his performance be related to opposing defenses? Maybe conditioning? (Didn't seem to affect him vs Sacto). All possible.

Related to his pneumothorax, something that often heals within 24-48 hours?

No.

In fact I posted a more detailed explanation in the thread detailing this injury.

So thanks for your dismissive comment when you don't understand the recovery process from a pneumothorax.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If we go for Lawson, it's gonna be a wait, for sure. Right now he's going into rehab and there's lots of "he's our family, we're behind our family" speeches from the Nuggets.

12. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Tjones can't rebound for **** yo, he never boxin out his man, got out rebounded by Harrison Barnes the entire series.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Lawson is criminally underrated on this message board.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I see what you did there.....

1 person likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed. i think the nuggets are of the opinion that it wouldn't look good to give up on a guy when he's down and out. this is a similar reason as to why the lakers kept nash on their roster. showing loyalty will make them more appealing to free agents.

waiting for him to return to the court (and clean up his image) will also raise his trade value. any lawson trade will be during the season, closer to the deadline when they can get a few teams into a bidding war.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not true, he is not as good from the post as DMo but can create shots by dribble penetration relatively well for a PF.

He would start no question if we got that kind of production from him all season. Don't see why no one thinks he can.

17. rocketseagles07

T Jones has a consistency issue not a skills issue.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I think he and the Nuggets will come to a mutual agreement for a buyout after his rehab.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's quite amazing. He's not a Top 10 PG or anything but would be just what we need.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, Jones can try...and sometimes it won't end badly, but that's not really the same as saying he can create his own shot. For the most part, Jones is a guy who scores in transition and when someone else sets him up with an open look.