1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning interested in Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I would demand something similar to the Palmer trade, if not two 1st rounders outright. That would be an absolute coup if Manning was healthy and reasonably priced.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

is it me, or has the ability to trade players for good draft picks increased significantly over the past couple years? i feel like we'd be talking about getting a 3rd for schaub if this were 3 years ago.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

agreed man that would hard for any team to try and stop and don't forget about foster.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

IF he is good to go medically, IF his arm is back, oh yeah, you just have to do it. Schaub gets traded, he had his chances, you move on to several SB rings. McNair is likely too conservative to take such a big risk, but I would, in a heartbeat. Can you imagine how unstoppable this team would be with a healthy Peyton at the helm. That team beats up on everybody in the league.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

First make the throws , THEN AND ONLY THEN we can talk.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't believe that he's not broken, or at least overly fragile. I don't care what his doctors are saying right now.

do not want.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

keep schaub and the chemistry

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know. It took two 2nd round picks to get him from the Falcons. That was like 6 years ago, right? He was younger then, but he was also more unproven.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Way back zing!

10. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

So what is everyone's view on Matt Schaub? Reading everyone's opinion on him within just the past year has been interesting. It went from generally happy with him, but probably under-appreciated, then when he got hurt and Yates played fairly well for a rookie (before the Ravens games), it was "let's trade Schaub now and roll with Yates," and now Schaub is going to lead us to become Superbowl champions apparently, so there is really no reason to even consider Peyton.

My take on Schaub is that he is a good quarterback, and we might be fine with him for the next few years, but I do not consider him a great, or an elite quarterback. Considering that he himself is coming off a pretty serious foot injury, I just don't agree with the notion that with a healthy Schaub we should be considered favorites to win the Superbowl. If I'm not mistaken, Schaub hasn't played a playoff game before, and although it is possible he would thrive in playoff pressure, it is also possible he would play poorly in the playoffs.

I see Schaub as a top 12-15 quarterback in the league, which is not bad at all. However, pre- a very serious neck injury, Peyton was a top 3 quarterback on the planet. And I am sure he worked pretty hard to get to that level, so he might have the will and the work ethic and drive to get back to that level post- very serious neck injury. Honestly, if I was him, I would call it a HoF career, and be very happy with what I accomplished. But if the dude wants to keep on playing, then count me in the group that would rather have a 75% Peyton over a 100% Schaub.

And then add in the fact that Reggie Wayne could very well follow Peyton here, and possibly at a slight discount to play with Peyton and what is possibly a Superbowl-contending team for the next 2-3 years. Then we flip Schaub for some high 1st or 2nd draft picks, and our future doesn't take a hit either, in fact it would not only possibly help us in the short-term, but would have long-term benefits as well. For this to even be remotely possible, Manning would have to take a pretty big pay cut to come here, if winning is really that important to him.

The main problem I have is that I have no confidence in our medical staff, so it would be hard for me to trust their judgment on if he truly is healthy. And I would only consider this if he is truly healthy and we are fairly confident that he can be at least 75% of what he was in his prime.

Please note that I've been using the words "potentially" or "possibly" a lot, because at the end of the day no one really know, it's all our projections and hopes at this point. If we stay with Schaub, which is probable, then I certainly hope that he proves me wrong and helps lead the Texans to become Superbowl Champions, I will be excited as heck as a Texans fans. This move is definitely very risky and bold, but I believe the risk associated with trusting Schaub at the helm of a potentially Superbowl-contending team is either being discounted or completely ignored by the majority.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Just imagine looking in the Gameday program at Reliant next season, and seeing this... ;)

[​IMG]

I see there are quite a few folks here that want to bring in Peyton, (I'm not one BTW) this is for you. :grin:

[​IMG]

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Schaub to the Redskins. Man, I can't get that out of my head. It seems like a perfect fit.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think you're letting a fairly vocal and whimsical minority influence your view of everyone. I don't think there was ever a point where more than 10% of Texans fans (if that many) were ready to anoint TJ as the long-term starter. There were a few loudmouths here and there (the same ones who give the QB 100% of the blame for every loss, 100% of credit for every win), but the vast majority of fans were even-keeled about it. Yates fared better than most expected, but Schaub has been a top 10 QB for four years now and TJ just isn't near that level. Not even in the first Cincinnati game.

Schaub is what he is - a very good but not great QB that is more than capable of leading a team as good as this one to the Super Bowl. I think most everyone understands that. Would a healthy Peyton Manning be an upgrade? Of course, and I think Rick Smith knows that. But I don't think it's worth worrying about now because it's out of the Texans' hands. The risk is simply too great if Peyton wants to go on a free-agent tour come March 13 and sign with the highest bidder.

If Peyton wants to be considered by the Texans, he can be. But it's up to him on whether he'll wait until he can make all the throws. The ball is in his court.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I know. I would ask for their first and second round picks this year and give them Schaub and a 4th or 5th. We would have two 1st rounders (take Blackmon with the 6th) and two 2nd rounders plus the rest of our picks. Use our original 1st for a Mario replacement.

Madden off-season mode: INITIATED

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And even Dan Snyder would laugh in your face at that proposal.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

A 1st and a 2nd for Schaub and a 4th or 5th? Carson went for way more then that, albeit he was out of shape and an interception machine and not Lisfranc'ed.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I highly doubt that.

The Redskins are desperate for a QB.

Kubiak-Schaub have tons of pull and connection with the Shannahans.

A 1st and a 2nd is a very reasonable offer, especially getting a 4th or 5th in return.

There's also no reason to think Schaub can't recover from his injury, and the marketplace for QBs is quite lucrative (Palmer trade, initial Schaub trade, Culter trade...)

Hell, compare Schaub and Palmer straight up over the last 4 years. Schaub blows him away.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

count me in the not "most everyone" minority who likes to see their QB make it to the playoffs and win a playoff game once in their career before i consider them "more than capable of leading (any) team to the Super Bowl".

once again, i like schaub. bottom line is, and objectively speaking, he has done nothing to be worthy of that praise. you can respond saying this is the first great D he has had to play with, and I will respond to that with Tom Brady having a garbage D, including the worst D in the league this year, and still routinely getting to the playoffs, and Peyton Manning having one of the worst D's in the league recently and doing the same.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You know where I stand on that. I don't believe there's anything inherently different about winning in the playoffs than in the regular season. It's random and depends on matchups and if your team peaks at the right time. I think most folks would consider Schaub superior to Joe Flacco, and Flacco was a dropped TD and missed chip shot from possibly sending his team to the Super Bowl.

That's why he's not as good as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (if healthy). No one is saying he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.