1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning interested in Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I doubt he gets near the contract he had. His injury makes him a risky signing, which will lower his value.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's up to Manning and he just got paid 20 million to don nothing last season. He has earned more than $100 million dollars in his career so I don't think money is his concern. He did say he would sign a contract based on incentives also.

If you asked Andre, Foster, Daniels or any other Texan if they would take a small pay cut to play along (a healthy) Manning they would all jump on it. At least I would think they would.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Manning Roundup:

Haven't seen many writers that think Peyton is a good move for Texans
    http://www.sbnation.com/2012/2/14/2797113/peyton-manning-houston-texans

....Or the Cowboys
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...k_but_not_with_boys/srvc=sports&position=also

Folks assessing the most likely landing spots generally all agree on Cards, Skins, Fins
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...3/peyton-manning-2012-destinations/53085918/1
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/9/2786781/peyton-manning-rumors-free-agency-indianapolis-colts
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34782386
    ....and there is a report that the Cardinals have hired Peyton's former QB coach.

Reports continue to say his arm is not NFL level, let alone Peyton level
    http://www.sbnation.com/2012/2/8/2785700/peyton-manning-noodle-arm-quote-bob-kravitz/in/1952903
    http://www.indystar.com/interactive...uke-University-?odyssey=mod|dnmiss|umbrella|1
    ...and full circle, Bob Allen's scoop has even come under some scrutiny:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-what-i-heard/2012/02/14/gIQAA9MWDR_blog.html

My thoughts on the matter:

-I wonder if this is another Peyton camp political leak. They seem to be interested in putting Irsay under public fire and making sure that if he cuts Peyton (and that $28M that he will never see again as a lump sum), he'll bleed for it. Act 1 - undermine Irsay's health excuse. Act 2 - threaten to join a division rival to rile up the fans?

-Unless he's offering to come for a $1M deal, he guarantees the loss of Mario, and endangers the retention of Foster and Myers. Add to that the fact that other teams will have the cap room and willingness to offer quite a bit more. Incentives count 100% against the cap, whether or not they are earned.

-Despite Cat's outcry, it's not wrong to point out that Peyton has always been a pure pocket passer, if not a statue, and that doesn't mesh with the Kubiak boot system. Do you blow up your offense for in-his-prime-Peyton? Sure thing. Do you do it for can-he-ever-play-again-Peyton? When you're already knocking on the door of the elite? Not in my opinion.

-Wherever Manning goes, it will be with the understanding that he is the ironclad starter. He's not a guy chasing one last shot at a ring, and he expects to dictate all terms. He will not be a backup or enter competition for the job. He will start, and he will very likely dictate the way the offense will be run. This is not like adding him to your Madden 2013 roster.

-Related, adding Manning means (with certainty) that Schaub will want to be traded or released. Immediately. See again about Madden versus Reality. Guys like Kolb, Grossman, or Henne might except being bumped back in the depth chart,but not established starters. If Manning flops, you'll be left with Yates (I have to believe Leinart is a cap casualty no matter what). You simply do not blow up a team because Peyton Manning, two years ago, was better than Schaub is today.

-It's a broken record, especially since certain folks are determined to ignore things they don't want to hear, but about Manning's nerve "regeneration":
    Dead nerves are dead. They don't "regenerate."
    Existing nerves can strengthen, grow (branch), and help compensate for lost ones.
    Manning's full neural recovery is absolutely, 100%, NOT an eventuality but a possibility. That he is 3 surgeries and so far removed from initial problems is a bad sign for his chances of ever getting back to "Peyton" level.

3 people like this.
  4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Agree to disagree. To me, the bootleg can be (and is, here) a system for a pocket passer. I don't think the system would need to be blown up, at all.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Peyton Manning running a bootleg would be possibly the ugliest play in the NFL, but dude's a pro, he could handle it.

6. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Give me an 80 percent Manning and Reggie Wayne to pair alongside AJ, and it is game over.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Slightly off topic, but in case anyone needed any more evidence that John McClain is a complete idiot (and not to be taken seriously)... he ranked the Texans behind 9-9 Denver in his final NFL power poll.

1 person likes this.
  8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Uh...wow. Guess he's a Tebow fan (I mean, he's an idiot of course...).

9. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

the only way i would want this to happen is if manning takes a contract that is incentive laden. Also let him earn the starting job. First priority is paying Arian and make sure Arian knows that.

10. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Signing Manning, even to an incentive-laden deal, would mean saying goodbye to Schaub, Mario, Myers and Brisiel and would seriously inhibit the team from signing a WR/CB and could possibly affect a potential long-term deal for Foster.

If Manning were guaranteed to be 100%, then I think you would have to consider it, but there's a real chance he won't ever play a down in the league again.

PASS

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Peyton should just learn to throw left-handed.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Good ole' McClain Texans breakfast

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what I'm thinking. Like he doesnt know division rival and former PRO BOWL TEAMMATE Matt Schaub is already on the team. (Though if Manning is trying to come back back fully knowing he has a DEAD arm, not sure how much he's really "respecting" anything.)

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7575951&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

LOL - took one day of "Peyton going to the Texans" threat and now the owner is tucking tail.

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

not happening

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ideal scenario? Peyton wants to come to the Texans and does so signing a very cap friendly deal since he just got all of that guaranteed money from the Colts who are now in cap hell with TONS of dead money on the books.

Texans then trade Matt Schaub to the Skins or Fins for a Carson Palmer type deal.

Texans than go on to destroy the league armed with the best QB, RB, WR, and D as well as multiple first round picks coming aboard.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you're the Texans, would you want any additional success to be attributed all to Manning, after all these years? Because that's exactly what would happen. I know Kubiak doesn't want that. Not sure why fans would want it either. I could maybe understand it if they weren't so close already.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Schaub to the Redskins is an idea that might have merit.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

For a first and a second? I would do something like that in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.