1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Managed Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Nov 9, 2013.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OP sounds mature and reasonable. Definitely in the minority around here. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Personally, I find cruising the "McFail"/Lin threads and filling up my "ignore" list has been more effective than swimming against the flood. The supply of posters attacking the Rockets is amazingly endless.

2. steady

steady Member

The young exciting Rockets of last year had to grow up quickly this year with all the burdens that come with championship aspirations. They have had to deal too with new natural internal conflicts and competitions, and the difficult transition period, that any serious roster change brings. They will be fine. The chemistry issues and the slow start are nothing different from what any young team in this situation could expect to go through.

The struggles will probably continue for a little while before it gets better. But then it will get better. Because at end of the day Rockets still have all the possibility we saw in the preseason. They will mature into what they can be. They will figure things out.

3. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We are not CONTENDER that we think we are.
    So lower your expectations.

4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

If it took a team of LeBron, Wade, and Bosh two years to win a title I think we should have some patience with our team of young players. Howard was a huge pickup and a position of need for us, but chemistry still takes time to build. As we all know, Morey is not done tinkering with the roster either. Give this group a lil time to figure things out.

I hate seeing all these threads about the coach, the PGs, Howard, and who should we trade and all of that after only 7 games. its crazy and makes it difficult to come on here and have a logical discussion about the game or the team. They want to win the title RIGHT NOW or its a failure. I guess that's today's 'instant gratification' society. They want everything right now regardless if they have earned it or not. Titles are earned, not just given because you want one or think you deserve one.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Thanks OP. Great thread and great point. Our team is filled with talented, yet flawed, players (just like every other team in the league). The team that finds its groove and manages to accentuate its best features and minimize the impact of its flaws will have a successful season. Very few teams find instant success from the moment they are assembled. It is reasonable to expect some growing pains this season, and that will result in some losses early on. If the team is still struggling to find an identity at the end of the year, then I will be concerned.

1 person likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We will never be a contender as long as we have a flawed incompetent coach in McHale. Come crunch time, you need to execute a plan on both ends of the floor and actually run plays. You need some X's and O's and McHale is incapable of anything other than ISO or P n R

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fantastic post. Thank you

8. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

We are not contenders with Mch as the head coach. We got all the talent in the world we know it and everyone knows it. Look at the RA team last night. RA has less talent then us but he got all his boys in check up there in MIN and buying into a system with structure. They put up a 47 spot in one qtr on the Fakers.
    MCH's free flow into iso lack of structure is not going to do it for this squad no matter how much talent we have.
    Hell yeah I have expectations don't you?

9. cw3k

cw3k Member

If ISO don't work for Melo, it will not works for Harden. ISO is a show stopper. Why do anyone here think ISO is better than team basketball is beyond me.

When Harden ISO, there is no offensive movement. Everyone just camp at the perimeter, like the 3 will be open and it will be an automatic three if Harden don't score and draw a foul.

It ISO works, then LBJ would be scoring 50 a night. Not, he get everyone in the team involve and that is why the Heats won 2 championships. Until Harden learn how to share, this team will never get out or round 1.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The OP made an excellent post, and this one ain't bad, either! ;-)-

If we could somehow harness the energy expended by the knee-jerking around here, we could probably lower our oil imports a lot.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This thread is not about ISOs.

12. conquistador#11

"Know what can change and what will never change. It will make you a better poster, it will make you less angry, and it will help you enjoy the game more."

sometimes you just have to look in the mirror. ;)

that goes for me too.

13. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

It seems that many posters around here (more so the new posters) need to just enjoy the game and get off the computer before, during and after game-time.

Them boys don't know just how good we have it these days.

A couple seasons ago, we had the chuckwagon start all 82 games for us; we were glad to have it, at the time.

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I don't think I will ever stop being angry to see random dude keeps penetrating Harden without any resistance or Dwight shooting 5/16 from the line causing us games.

It doesn't matter if they are expected to happen or not.