1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man robs bank to pay for daughter's chemo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Aug 27, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I went here.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oak...-union-to-pay-for-daughters-cancer-treatments

SOUTH LYON, Mich. (WXYZ) - The family of 23-year-old Brian Randolph says the only reason the Oakland County man robbed a bank was to pay for his young daughter's chemo treatments.

Now, he's being held on $500,000 bond.

"He just asked me, when am I gonna get out of here. I said you may not get out of here," says Karri Mitchell, Randolph's attorney.

Randolph was arrested August 14th, two days after police say he robbed a Vibe Credit Union in South Lyon.

His one year old daughter's insurance was abruptly canceled, and with no money, his family says the desperate father tried robbing a bank.

His girlfriend tells 7 Action News, "I'm not sure what he was thinking at that point, but at the end of the day the only thing I can think about is him trying to take care of his child."

Brailynn Randolph goes to chemo every four weeks, as she battles retinoblastoma, a form of eye cancer.

Police say surveillance photos show Randolph giving the teller a note, also indicating he had a gun on August 12th, but never showed one.

His aunt tells us, "The only thing he kept telling me is I want to be the man I'm supposed to be. I want to provide for my child."

Brailynn's mother told 7 Action News this afternoon that the insurance company finally called her back. She was told the insurance was canceled because she didn't renew the policy once Brailynn turned one.

She claims she wasn't aware that was necessary. She says she's still working on getting back coverage for Brailynn.

Randolph is expected back in court Wednesday morning for a preliminary hearing.

Brailynn's mother started a GoFundMe page last year after the diagnosis.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Didn't Denzel do something like this in John Q?

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Looks he went out and bought some Gucci bags.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Obamacare

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Torn - On one hand I feel terrible for this guy dealing with this issue for his daughter - the stress has got to be destroying him.

On the other hand, he did a really really stupid thing worthy of serious punishment. I hope he gets a good lawyer and a sympathetic judge.

Here is his daughters GoFundMe account:

http://www.gofundme.com/f41itg

At least the publicity is helping the account - Its had over 150 new donations in the last 24 hours

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Maybe if stories like this continue to shed light on how godawful it is to have a non single payer system the U.S. will pull its head out of its ass and get it done.

Between our healthcare and our gun control issues this country is on its way to becoming a global embarrassment.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Cancer treatment isn't just an issue of insurance.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...-he-robbed-bank-pay-daughters-chemo/32425189/

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Did you read the article? Their insurance was abruptly canceled because the policy wasn't on auto renewal. This problem is entirely based on insurance.

In any other civilized nation this wouldn't be an issue.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jan/24/news/mn-1260

Read this article where a toddler was allowed to die because she was transported to a hospital where her HMO was not accepted and thus they refused treatment. Further insult to injury? This was a blatant violation of EMTALA and the jury awarded over a million dollars. However California's tort caps reduced it to $250,000! You know tort expens is what the GOP constantly cites as the reason for why healthcare is so expensive.....

This country is as I said becoming a global joke clinging to failed systems and policies.

10. Remii

Remii Member

So if the mother renewed the insurance the child wouldn't have been dropped...?

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Appears that way at first blush. Obviously the mother has responsibility and made a damaging mistake.

That said its not something Americans should have to be concerned with. Only under our failed healthcare system do we have to constantly be vigilant lest we be caught without coverage.

12. Classic

Classic Member

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

WTF, I thought O-care solved this ****?

Then why did we death panel grandma?

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Therefore the kid should die. Spoken lie a true conservative Republican.

15. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Something doesn't smell right here. It seems like the guy could have raised plenty of money online through one of those sites if the details in this story are really correct. A one-year old with eye cancer being dropped from insurance? That's the type of story that gets people donating.

Instead, he robs a bank and goes on a shopping spree. I need more details before I believe any of this.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How do we know he didn't own this bag before the robbery?

Anyways, I have zero sympathy for the bank or the authorities in this case. Banking executives buy much more expensive bags with lots more stolen money than this guy could even fit in a car. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's more morally acceptable to everyone.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there isn't something quite right here.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

it does seem odd that he couldn't reinstate the insurance, or qualify for medicare.....

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nope, the precedent of threatening violence to siphon off of other peoples' capital investment, payroll or savings plans is more reprehensible and would cause more damage wide-scale than whatever hypothetical interest rate or foreclosure scenarios you're alluding to.