1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man leaves his children and lady during 'Dark Night' shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Jul 23, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not so much your kid seeing violence or hearing it - traveling anywhere with a 4 month old is like carrying a ticking time bomb, with a blast radius of about any room you are in . The grocery store, a restaurant, whatever.

The bomb has a much greater chance of going off after dark when it logs the majority of its 13-16 or so daily hours of sleep, particularly at a midnight showing of batman or a Metallica concert. It's horrible for everyone, the parents, the kids, the audience.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I united with team B-Bob and Sam Fisher in expressing disgust that there were apparently quite a few children in this MIDNIGHT showing of a Batman that were aged between 3 months and 5 years old.

Are you kidding me?

I thought when I heard about the first infant that got shot that it was just a fluke, but now it turns out there were multiple children in that theater aged in the "months" not years? That is incredibly disrespectful to everyone else in the theater. What if little kid wakes up and craps itself? Starts screaming? You've ruined the experience for everyone else. The 4 and 5 year olds is pretty bad too.

I saw Avengers at night and there was a 4 year old that screamed at the top of her lungs everytime Hulk was on the screen.

I know it sucks, but if you can't afford or have no access to a babysitter, you are limited in your going out options when you have kids. It's one of the sacrifices you have to make. Midnight movies is something you have to kiss goodbye when you have a 3 month old if you can't get a babysitter.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup. Both of the recent Batmans had major parts ruined due to screaming kids. The thought of taking my daughter to the movies hasn't crossed my mind once, but the thoughts of others do cross my mind, unlike too many people these days.

4. Major

Major Member

I think a lot of this depends on the particular parents and kids. Some 5 yr olds are really well-behaved and would be engaged watching the movie; others are not. Some babies have an established schedule and will sleep through anything and don't cry much in general. If the parents sit right next to the door and step out as soon as there is any hint of the baby coming awake, that's very different then just ignoring him or her during the movie.

1 person likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

To clarify, this is probably a fairly rare situation, so I'm not saying it's a good idea in general. But I also don't think you can lump all parents together like that. And the midnight showing part seems irrelevant - a crying baby/kid is going to cause just as many problems at a mid-afternoon showing as they will at midnight.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What a scum bag.

onthat note... who brings a kid to a movie like that at that hour?

7. SamFisher

True enough, but anytime after normal bedtime you've got a lot bigger chance at a Fukushima Dome meltdown due to overtiredness etc.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah but people don't want to hear the baby cry when the movie gets loud. It kills it. So it's inconsiderate of the parents in the first place. Also, babies need a ton of sleep. You need them to be inside where they belong, near a bed. On top of that, hire a sitter if you want to go out. If you can't afford a baby sitter then you should save your money rather than spend it on annoying everyone else at the theater.:mad:

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

on top of that it is astounding there are people who see this and think it's OK. Just because other stupid parents do it, doesn't mean it's smart and there is a logic to doing it. There is none and it's rude! No matter what time of day, don't bring a child to an ADULT rated movie where it is going to likely bother the people who paid to view it in quiet. It's already bad enough dealing with loud teens who think their clever with loud reference humor.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can't answer everyone jumping on me, so I'll just answer this one. My children are people and have as much right to be out and about as everyone else. If you have a problem with them, I have a problem with you. Annoyed by crying babies in movie theaters? I'm annoyed by people who talk to movie characters on-screen, people who applaud at the end, vapid girls who have to ask their boyfriends why a character said what he said, folks who feel compelled to text on the sly, people who take up chairs with their coats, people who spill their food and drink on the floor, and people who throw smoke bombs and riddle patrons with bullets. But, I'm not asking those people to stay home (well, except that last one). Part of going to the movies or eating at a restaurant or flying on a plane or living in society generally is having to deal with the palpable existence of others.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah.
    Parents that bring their young kids to the theaters are annoying as hell.
    Especially the ones that don't bolt out the door when their kid starts yelling/crying and instead just sit there and ignore it.

I was watching spiderman and this little brat kept crying and screaming the entire movie. I was so close to yelling "shut the **** up" in the theater but I thought better of it.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Very Costanza-esque.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Juan I understand what you mean. Your kids have rights, sure. But if you want to bring a possibly unbehaved child to the movies where he/she starts screaming/yelling/crying? Prepare for the consequences of someone losing their cool and taking out their anger (verbally) on you and your kid.

It just depends on the kid, you're right. But most kids under six are usually rowdy and self-centered. Bad combination.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why bring a baby to a movie theater??? if that baby cries it ruins the movie for everyone. This isn't a flight to grandma's.

If seeing midnight showings is that important and you can't find someone you trust to watch your baby you shouldn't be having babies.

15. SamFisher

See, planes I don't mind. There's not really any alternative, so if you have to drag a hyperactive kid on a plane cross-country to see grandma, then that's what you do, and **** anybody who objects. It's hard on fellow passengers, but it's even harder on the bedraggled parents. Even restaurants - yeah you could eat at home, but let's face it, most kid-friendly restaurants are loud anyway and you know what you're getting into.

Movies are totally different. There's this thing called "netflix" which allows you to view the movie in the comfort of your own home (or you could go to a theater that has those "mommy and kid friendly" screenings) - both of which probably provides an optimal experience for parents, other audience members, and kids as well, as opposed to midnight opening of batman.

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i have taken infants to the movies, my 3 year old to the midnight premiere of transformers 2, i have taken my kids to multiple movies at an age that you seem to disagree with, and im sorry that you are blaming the parents instead of the shooter, but you know what, you never knew i did any of that because i nor my children were shot during the times we were watching the movies

indeed my children belong on this earth and have every right to be where i want them to be, if you want to focus on your morality of parenthood over the morality of humanity then make it about that, but dont blame parents for the actions of a psychotic

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Sounds predictably ego-syntonic and in line with the selfish, childish mentality taking over America. You're defending your own problem-making behavior with other people's problem-making behavior instead of minimizing being an annoyance to others. Once your children are a bit more grown, you will go back to complaining about other people's stupidity for bringing their infants to movies.

Your children are people, but ffs their brains are going through a lot of complex developmental stages and taking them to a loud, chaotic movie theater is crap parenting.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Sadly, this same attitude is also reflected in some other posts JuanValdez makes.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

ego-syntonic

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

So effing disgusting that you have no problem whatsoever with ruining the enjoyment of a movie for hundreds of other people. Ironic that you staunchly put your own desires far ahead those of anybody else in the world, given the original subject of the thread.

Hope your kids don't grow up to be the same inconsiderate filth as their daddy. I sincerely hope that this is your only demonstration of awful parenting, but I have my doubts.