1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man found dead in bed after 2 years, His bill still being paid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dennis2112, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Wow, what a story...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...858&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

Man lay dead in bed for two years
    Condo fees and bills were still being paid
    Body finally found in mummified state

WINNIPEG—His telephone number was still listed in the telephone directory and his condominium fees and bills were automatically being withdrawn from his bank account.

No one knew Jim Sulkers had died in his bed almost two years ago.

Neighbour Sam Shuster said residents in the complex often wondered where the man they knew only as Jim had gone, but were told his condominium fees were still being paid.

"How can that happen, for God's sake. Two years!" Shuster said yesterday of the man who had been a resident in the building since the mid-1980s.

"I used to ask the president of the board of directors where in the hell is he? She said all she knew was the bank gets the monthly money so we don't worry about it."

Sulkers' remains were discovered Wednesday. Manitoba's chief medical examiner, Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra, determined he had died of natural causes.

Sulkers, believed to be in his 50s, had multiple sclerosis. Balachandra said there were no signs of trauma and he was able to quickly rule out homicide, suicide or accident as a cause of death. But because the body was in a mummified state, he could not determine an exact cause.

He said a newspaper dated Nov. 21, 2002, was found in the man's apartment and a wall calendar was opened to November 2002 — evidence the man died nearly two years ago.

A cousin, Kim Dyck of Winnipeg, said she lost contact with the man after his mother died about 10 years ago, but relatives had attempted to make contact with Sulkers last summer when they were in the city for a wedding.

"They knocked on his door and he didn't answer," she said. "You assume he isn't home. You certainly don't assume he's dead."

She said the man's bills must have been covered by a pension cheque automatically deposited into his bank account.

Neighbours said Sulkers' mailbox had become full several times and was always emptied by a letter carrier.

Canada Post spokesman Brian Garagan said letter carriers are required to clear full mailboxes and inform a supervisor, who calls the condo owner. He said the corporation was trying to determine if that policy was followed.

He said Sulkers' mail delivery was halted at some point but he wasn't sure when. He said he would be talking to the letter carrier on the route.

Marcel Baril, executive director of the Family Centre in Winnipeg, called the situation bizarre and sad. "It's odd that we live in a society where technology can take care of our affairs like that, even if we passed away two years ago, and nobody's noticed."

A spokeswoman for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada said the disease itself was not fatal but complications could be.

Canadian Press

2. Summer Song Giver

This is what happens when you go through life with out making any friends

/in line for lonely old man status

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems entirely plausible to me given today's technology and people's mobility. I could see it happening to lots of people. The Mailman is usually the one who frist notices things like this.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thats a sad story, he went 2 years and no1 even knew....

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

hard to believe there wouldn't be an odor that the neighbors would notice. guess that's a pretty good condo.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Now here's an appealing fellow....

There a-peeling him off the bed as we speak.

7. synergy

synergy Member

man, i need to find a place like that where no one bothers you. where i live someone is pestering me one way or another every hour.

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I thought this was another Bagwell thread.

9. synergy

synergy Member

LOL, how dare you challenge almighty bagwell!

:eek:

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I died two years ago as well, but my computer has a mind of its own. If you don't like my posts, blame AI.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Hey, somebody should check the front office of the rockets, seriously.

12. Isabel

Isabel Member

How sad that no one missed him. That just goes to show what's wrong with our society. It's scary to know that any of us could end up anonymous and lost like that.

:(

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

LOL! My first belly laugh of the day.

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

I thought your posts had gotten a little better over the last couple of years. :)

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's a sad story, but I love the name Kim Dyck. Is that pronounced like the body part or like the oceanic land feature?

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Sloth.

Six more victims will be found.

"What's in the box?!"

"He already told you."

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've seen your fantasy football and basketball picks - faulty AI is about the only excuse, pal.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, I feel bad for the people on his will. All that money gone to bills.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good point.