1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Man-crush?] Ron Artest's recent comments about Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2008.

1. stephen94

stephen94 Member

There are two reason why Chuck isn't going to see much playing time...

1). He can't make layups, as everyone said.
    2). His freethrow form and percentage are just downright mediocre. (He does get us a lot of lane violations though. :p )

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I will Agree that Landry was number 2 but Tmac number 1 is just not accurate.

Before Tmac went down the Rockets were a pathetic 12-15. Most people on this board thought the Rockets season was over. While he was out the Rockets went 7-3. Scola played more minutes then Hayes in most of those wins. The Rockets learned to play as a team without TMac and there was a sense that all was not lost and we only needed to trade TMac. When TMac went out The Rockets changed there losing ways. When Tmac came back the team was gelling and only got better. Before Yao was injured the Rockets went 16-1. They lost 1 game when Yao was out with the flu. After Yao was injured they continued to win but struggled against some awful teams to do it. In the end they finished 19-8 without Yao. Definitely better than that 12-15 start but not even close to the 16-0 midseason run with Yao.

The biggest turning point of the season even more than Landry and Scola was the absence of Tmac rather than his return. ALthough I will agree he played better in his return. It was like the rest of the teams passion rubbed off on him. Still he shot as bad as ever last season and still tried to do to much sometimes.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My interpretation is different. I thought there were signs that the team was turning around back in December. But an injury to T-Mac, combined with a tough schedule, put us through a rough stretch. Maybe McGrady's absence was what the team needed. But it's hard to ignore that the Rockets just lost two close games in the 4th quarter prior to T-Mac's return, and just after his return they were beating teams due to his ability to finish games. Clearly that was something they were missing.

Really, I think the key impetus for our streak was having Rafer, T-Mac, and Yao all healthy. And after that, the emergence of Landry.

Also, by my count, Chuck played more minutes than Luis in 4 of the 7 wins. Luis played more minutes than Chuck in all 4 losses. Make of that what you will.

#103 durvasa, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Chuck Hayes' impact on offense is hard to judge.

On the one hand, he is clearly a liability because he cannot make any shot other than layups. His man constantly ignores him and concentrate on help defense. You cannot deny the fact that when I guy can be ignored by the opposing defense, it makes it that much harder for the other four guys to get open.

On the other hand, Hayes is smart. He knows how to get to the spot where he can score. Together with the fact that we have a guy, who according to Morey's analytic machine is the best at finding an open teammate, Hayes has his value even on the offensive end. And we still have not mentioned his offensive rebounding. (But both Scola and Landry are good at hustling on the offensive glass.)

All in all, I think Hayes' offensive value depends a lot on T-Mac's play making ability.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is further evidence of Artest/Hayes Man-Crush.

[​IMG]

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2008-08-26/17393905128.shtml

I don't know how accurately I am representing the actual exchange between Artest and Hayes, since the exchange between Artest and Hayes was translated first into Chinese and then, by me, back into English.

On the other hand, it's clear from the photo that Ron and Chuck met yesterday when Ron came into team facilities for the rally and the press conference.

So, the story apparently is that, after the rally and/or the press conference, Ron ran into Chuck in the hallway. Chuck appeared to have just finished working out and was rather sweaty. Upon seeing the reporters following Ron around, Chuck was trying to slip away from the crowd when Artest spotted and wouldn't let him leave. The two men shared a bear hug.

After the hug, Artest told Chuck (something to the effect that) "I'm here to be your back-up." The crowd laughed. Chuck answered "Man, you are here to make me unemployed, aren't you?"

With Ron's arm around Chuck's shoulder, Chuck told Ron "You coming to Houston is a dream come true." Ron replied "Great, now that I'm here, let us dream together."

6. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

Hopefully Dorsey Can Fill CHuck Wagons Shoes. I know Dorsey can dunk!

7. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn he said that he's glad he's on the same team as Battier instead of battling with him all the time. If I'm not right about that quote, then I know for a fact he said he doesn't think anyone can stop him....not just Battier.

8. jmr123jmr

jmr123jmr Member

To all the fans as myself. Chuck is a great defender. I like the guy. He works hard and gets rebounds. I mean I see tall rebounders and he ends up getting the ball. He is the best in being active and defending. People don't realize that is hard work. I would like him to stay and also for those who doubt he can't scored he can score, he just limited. But u must have seen when T-mac made those nice passes and he had those great hands to just catch n layup. That just in a instant. That is great basketball. Besides everybody has a role. Look at Pistons. Alll them can score the ball but what happen in the playoffs. Hate to say it but celtics had a cobination of role players, shooters, All stars, defenders, rebounders. Which gel togehter and were solid. Now look The Houston Rockets, Same Scenerio. It looks like We are right there. The question is if the pieces we have now can gel together n be solid. But I have faith n good feeling we have the best shot of a Championship.
    [​IMG]

Oh yea made this myself!!

For those who want to copied it can just copy n save but also I have it in photobucket. Profile jmr123jmr n if u like it n have any other ideas let me know. I will design for pleasure and as pride, as fan I am.

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^Nicely done and I hate to bring this up but you misspelled 'excitement'.

10. piggy

piggy Member

Why hello there, new wallpaper.

Also, Sports Illustrated has a long standing rule about not putting the Rockets on the cover (see '94 Championship snub).
    ;)

11. laowan

laowan Member

We are damn deep on the frontcourt,All we need is a backup PG (or a better PG).

12. Albert Einstain

Is he republican or democract? Or no-party candidate?
    The fee for enrollment of presidential compaign is just 0.1 m while chuck gets 2.

13. Dei

Dei Member

I kinda pity Chuck. The guy had a scare last year when we brought over Luis, then drafted Landry. He also thought he was part of the Artest deal.

I hope Chuck never leaves the Rockets.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that Chuck had a scare last summer. Remember, at the time of the 2007 NBA Draft, Chuck was the ONLY power forward on the Rockets' roster (unless you count the undersized Justin Reed, who was really more of a SF). The Rockets brought in Scola and drafted Landry with the mindset that Scola and Hayes would split time at PF and Landry would sit and develop during his rookie year. Fortunately, Carl stepped up his game much earlier than anyone had anticipated.

Even if the Rockets re-sign Landry, I still think they should keep Hayes. With his relatively low salary, he is a valuable asset off the bench as a situational defender with good hands.