1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Man-crush?] Ron Artest's recent comments about Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

of course.. he's not the focal point of the offense when compared to Scola and Yao.. so he's not getting as many looks as they are.. the frustrating part of it is that he's wide open most of the time he's blowing these layups..

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

word! I believe curse is lifted :)
    and yes

[​IMG]

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Cool. Thanks.

I wonder what Deke's conversion rate would be like if it included all of the easy passes he dropped or all the times he was stripped while taking 45 minutes to gather himself before a dunk.

Still, I am surprised that Hayes was last among those three. I guess the other two convert better than I thought.

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

no that's rebounding.. offense is when the ball goes thru the hoop

5. abita

abita Member

and it has to go thru from top not other way around :p

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

exactly. if only he didnt blow layups or get blocked by the rim. so frustrating sometimes..

7. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I think Kenny Thomas is the odd man out. He'll be productive somehwere, but I see Taylor starting for the first half of the season, and moving to the bench to make room for EG around the all start break. Then, Taylor becomes your offensive sparkplug off the bench.

RIP EG

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

and that, is the genius of Morey.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

You guys are underrating Chuck's offense. :eek:

Chuck doesn't shoot a lot. Durvasa said in his earlier post, he averages around 2 shots. So for a player that plays GREAT defense, and only shoots 2 shots, what more can you ask for?

Reverse lay-ups aren't easy at all. Especially when you are in a rush with the double team from Yao comes straight to Chuck. His wide open layups are not that open. Again, double team from Yao comes straight to Chuck. Chuck has to either force a layup or get blocked in a matter of seconds. Can Chuck dunk? Yes he can, but... I think (I'm not sure about this, just making an observation) he can't dunk just standing. He needs a running start. Same goes to Scola.

Chuck can't do the pick and roll as well as Landry and Scola, but he is far a better passer than both of them. I was disappointed, that all the power forwards did on offense (besides the pick an roll) was just to go up to the perimeter and pass it to a nearby guard. I was expecting a lot more high post offense.

Chuck is a hard worker. He will only improve. He has all the strength he needs for defense. Now he just needs to practice his offense. He'll get there. His playing time depends on our opponent and if Landry is signed.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Acutally, Scola missed a lot of makable layups. Instead of going straight up and strong, he'll try to use finesse and up and under moves resulting in wild shots. Essentially making the shot harder than in normally would be. He missed his share of open layups too.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is one of the worst offensive players in the league. Just because Artest complimented his defense doesn't change that. Everytime he is on the floor the other team plays 5 on 4 on defense. You cannot take that out of the equation. It is exactly for this reason that he does not start and isn't even a first guy off the bench player. There is no denying his handslapping defense is the best since Karl Malone but he is undersized and over long periods can and has been beaten by bigger bigs. There are situations he is needed but Scola and Landry pushed him to the end of the bench for a reason. In the end I would say Artest can do almost everything Chuck can do on Defense is a more physical specimen, and is light years better on offense.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well if you look how the Celtics use Big Baby, that's how we should use Hayes... very limited minutes.

13. blender

blender Member

Given how open the opponents leave him, Hayes not shooting much is not a good thing.

You have to love his intensity, work ethic and defensive skills, but you have to also admit that he has significant limitations as well.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

when you are that bad on offense, it does not matter you are not even attempting shoot as
    1) the opposite team can double team any player
    2) its a 4 vs 5 everytime they come down the court, less ball movement.
    3) the only place where hayes can contribute is to go for the offensive rebound, meaning somewhere near the paint, which basically brings more defenders to yao AND taking the lane out of tmac.

Hayes is a good player, but a situational player that plays for no more than 5 minute a month. Basically the last possession for the end of each quarter.

If a better player that will play significant minutes can be gain by losing him, you got to do the trade every single time.

15. Rowdy Drummer

Rowdy Drummer Member

i know... tooo many layups!

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Maybe if Ron respects Chuck so much he can teach Chuck how to shoot. Chuck's ability to make shots around the rim is actually pretty good. It seems like he misses alot of layups but if you actually pay attention he does make some pretty rediculous looking shots around the rim. Like someone else said, Chuck misses as many layups as Yao or Tmac did last year.

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Its not simply the fact that averages two shots, its that he just Fs up the whole offense, simply put. He has to stay around the rim. His man doubles off of him, doubling Yao Ming and cuts off the driving lane....and then if TMAC passes it to him after they cut his lane off, he can't finish it most of the time. There's a reason why landry and scola get the lion's share of the minutes in lieu of Chuck's great defense.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you're suggesting that a player's abilities corresponds to the proportion of minutes he gets in the rotation, I don't agree. Landry peaked at the right time during the season, and Chuck was the odd man out. . After Landry returned to earth at the end of the season and a spot in the rotation was freed up with Yao's injury, there were no qualms about playing Chuck significant minutes. He got the same number of minutes as Landry, in fact, during the playoffs. And while I understand that Chuck can be a real burden on the offense at times, I think on the whole he helps our defense much more than he hurts the offense. In particular, if we have a number of potent scoring options on the floor alongside him, his offensive deficiencies can be masked. If we're missing one of our stars, or if Rafer is struggling from the perimeter, then that's not as easy.

I happen to like all three of our PFs quite a lot, and I think the Rockets front office and coaches do as well.

19. juju14

juju14 Member

Hayes sucks and he is short of his position.He a liabilty on defense because of his size.If laundry signs hayes is probably never gettingi n the gms.oh yea **** u.

20. juju14

juju14 Member

Most of hayes shots are wide open while scola can create his own shots.