1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Man-crush?] Ron Artest's recent comments about Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

This is why there is noway we should even consider him as a trade filler. sure if it's a big piece, then ok, but to trade away one of the best defensive backup PF's in the game is silly. the way he reads the plays on defense is a thing of beauty. watch the way he anticipates what other teasms are gonna do. he's a step ahead of he's opponents most of the time.

2. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Yeah, I think he was very polite when he said you may have learning problems. Congrats on figuring out how to sign up.

Anyway, I don't see Chuck missing all that many layups. He did miss a lot of them in his first and second season (just like he picked up a lot of fouls) but he has improved dramatically since then. And hardly are his layups 'wide-open'. A lot of times he has to go under the basket or rush the shot to avoid a block. I'd say Yao and Scola are as dependable on layups as Hayes but because their offense consists of more than that, people seem to overlook that. I'm not saying Chuck is not a bad offensive player, I just don't agree on him being bad on layups.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

PG Artest
    SG Battier
    F Hayes
    F Dorsey
    C Mutombo

Try to score against that :cool:

4. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

Try to score with that! :cool:

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Haha yeah you got a point there :D.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

As long as Hayes is coming off the bench behind Scola AND in limited minutes, I am good.

7. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

I'm not a huge fan of Chuck, although I must admit that I love his hard work and efforts on defense. However, I completely agree with durvasa on this one. I too have been incredibly frustrated with the number of layups Chuck has missed, but, as durvasa pointed out, Chuck is usually throwing it up in a hurry to avoid getting blocked. I'll bet that some (don't read "all" here, but some) of his missed open layups is out of habit of rushing it when defenders are around.

And if you're all being honest, you absolutely HAVE TO COMPLAIN about the number of layups that Scola misses as well. I can't believe the value we stole out of San Antonio in Scola, but seriously, the guy has made me MORE frustrated than Chuck in his layup issues, especially when I consider him a MUCH more apt offsenive player. Very frustrating.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's always nice to see other people saying the things I do about Chuck. I would liken him to a gnat for the people he guards. He's always hustling, doesn't take a play off defensively and is too strong for them to brow beat down in the post.

Plus if you bring the ball down around him he's going to swat at it or get a hand in the passing lane when you try to get rid of it.

I've said it before, Chuck would have likely been part of a trade we made at the deadline. He may still be. But Morey isn't foolish enough to just give him away. He's an asset.

Those who are frustrated at his missed "wide open" layups... I can pretty much guarantee that he's 20x more frustrated at them than you are.

Until Dorsey proves he's capable of taking Chuck's minutes or Landry is signed and healthy, Chuck's not going anywhere I would suspect.

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You've mistaken him for Scola. :D Seems like Luis misses more layups than Hayes...but that could be just b/c he gets more PT.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Just curious with all the Hayes hating but what is his conversion rate within say 5 feet of the rim compared to Deke and Scola? From the 70 or so games I watched last season he was just as good if not better than finishing at the rim than either of those guys.

11. Hayesfan

You can go here... http://www.nba.com/hotspots/ and see them.

Chuck 55.2% 107-194
    Scola 57.0% 236-414
    Deke 61.5% 40-65
    Edit: To add Yao 60.1% 255-424

It seems like Scola missed a lot, because he did 178. But still he shot at a higher rate than Chuck.

Deke just dunks that close most of the time... but he only missed 25 shots in there. So that's good.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

very true. However sad it is.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Another thing to consider is Chuck Hayes is cheap labor. He is costing us basically nothing and can take big minutes.

Something battier and Artest cannot do.

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

The thing is, Hayes is usually almost wide open when misses those reverse layups. Scola is usually trying to make those layups in traffic. There is no doubt that Scola would finish most of the layups that Hayes misses.

15. foo82

foo82 Member

Quite a stupid statement. Why would you do a reverse layup if you were WIDE OPEN. Wide Open implies no defenders around in which its not even necessary to do a reverse layup. Hayes usually rushes up a shot the instant he catches before the defender rotates to him, thats hardly the same thing as a breakaway fast break open layup.

16. FR0497

FR0497 Member

I think Chuck just loves to play D and doesn't really give a damn about offense. Maybe he just gets too nervous when it comes to game time and he has to shoot the ball, but has anyone ever watched him warm up before the game? The dude nails the short jumpers all day. He knows his role on the team and thats to play big time D.

17. jcmoon

A couple things I might add:

First, not only does Chuck Hayes miss a lot of layups, he clogs the paint, which cuts off driving lanes and makes it easier for the opposing teams power forward to double Yao Ming.

Secondly, you can't play pick and roll with chuck Hayes, since he can't shoot nor does he roll well.

Simply having him in there makes life harder for TMAC and Yao. So not only does he miss open layups, he limits what our stars can do.

When the opposing team has a 3 or a 4 whom Landry or Scola simply cannot hold, we need Chuck Hayes on the floor. His lateral quickness, strength, and long arms enable him to play position defense as well as any power forward in the NBA. He keeps his man in front of him, preventing the others from getting deep position, while also making it difficult to drive on him. So although he may be shorter than Scola and Landry, he at least makes ppl shoot over him if they can.

So when the situation arises, his liabilites on offense are outweighed by his ability to man-up someone on defense without the need for a double team. We can always find other ways to score. But sometimes he is the only Rocket who can effectively guard a player on the other team.

18. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Anyone remember seeing Chuck in the college slam dunk contest? If remember correct he tried to do a simple off the glass slam and he missed. Score...?

6/60

19. jcmoon

I think that's why i said ALMOST wide open. If you are able to take a dribble and one step before you make a layup, you should finish it. He has enough space and the angle to make the shot. But he misses. But you're right, i'm stupid. I've never played nor watched basketball.

20. Hayesfan

The only reason Chuck was invited to the dunk contest was respect. They wanted him to be included in the festivities and they surely couldn't have him shooting 3 pointers.

Even he was suprised they invited him.