1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoustonForever

Malone expects to talk to Spurs
    Web Posted: 09/09/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
    Express-News Staff Writer

After two full months of rehabilitation on his surgically repaired right knee, free-agent forward Karl Malone said he is confident he will regain 100 percent effectiveness on the basketball court and has made a decision about whether he will continue his career in the NBA, and with whom.

He's just not ready to share his decision with anyone, including the Spurs.

The Spurs have told Malone they have a spot on their roster for him if, and when, he determines he would like it. They can offer Malone only the veterans' minimum contract of $1.1 million, but Malone already has shown he is motivated more by a winning situation than money.

"I know what I want to do," Malone said. "I'm just not ready to say yet."

That may be because the Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to enter the bidding for his services. According to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale, coach Flip Saunders and star forward Kevin Garnett will visit Malone this week at his home near Newport Beach, Calif., in attempt to convince him to sign with the Wolves.

The Los Angeles Lakers, for whom Malone played last season, and the Miami Heat also have expressed interest in Malone.

Before he left for Europe with the U.S. Olympic team, Spurs executive vice president and coach Gregg Popovich said he would speak with Malone after his return. Popovich is vacationing and has yet to talk with Malone.

Malone said Wednesday that he understands that Popovich needed to "get away from everything" after the U.S. team's disappointing showing in Athens. They will talk just as soon as Popovich feels the time is right.

"I realize what coach Pop is going through," Malone said. "He stepped back and let me do my thing, and I'm going to do the same with him. When the time is appropriate, we will talk. I don't want anyone to think I'm stringing anyone along.

"If coach Pop calls today and says, 'We need to know something today,' out of respect for them I'll give them a decision. But I don't think they'd do it like that."

Meanwhile, Malone continues to work out, to the point where he now feels very confident about his right knee.

"I feel pretty good right now," Malone said. "I'm not rushing it, not in any hurry, but it's gone really well. I'm getting close (to 100 percent) and I know I'm going to be able to get back to 100 percent. Not 95 percent, but 100 percent. That's encouraging."

Malone stressed his need to be a real contributor for any team, not a "hired gun" for a team looking for a final piece of a championship puzzle. He watched the Spurs improve their roster over the summer by re-signing Manu Ginobili and signing free-agent shooting guard Brent Barry. They also signed free-agent power forwards Tony Massenburg and Sean Marks and small forward Linton Johnson III.

Those moves, Malone said, made the Spurs a strong title contender, with or without him.

"They told me everything they were going to do," he said, "and then they went out and did it. That's how they do business, and that's how I like to do business.

"It is one thing when a team calls that wants you to bring veteran leadership and be that final piece. It is another thing when a team that can win it all without Karl Malone — and the Spurs are that — calls you and says they still want you. That means a lot."

What remains a mystery is how Malone's family feels about relocating from the Los Angeles area, where some of his closest friends say his family has gotten comfortable since Malone signed with the Lakers last summer.

But what no longer appears to be an unknown is that Malone will, indeed, play a 20th NBA season. Some of those same friends are convinced he wants to end his brilliant career on his own terms.

Said one longtime associate, "In his mind, going out on his own terms doesn't mean going out on an injury."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...es/MYSA090904.1C.BKNspursmonroe.643b3185.html

With the exception of Yao Ming, Jimmy Jackson, Bostian Nachbar, Maurice Taylor and one of two other guys, this summer has essentially been a house-cleaning operation. T-Mac. Ward. Sura. Gaines. Lue. Howard. Mutombo. Why not offer the starting spot to the greatest power forward ever to play the game?

I don't see him coming back to the Lakers even though he's good friends with Kobe.

Miami? Definitely possible, the Shaq Factor.

L.A.? With two of the 4 gone, Malone probably won't want to risk lottery contention.

Minnesota? Hmmm. Might work.

San Antonio? A high probability.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see Malone in a Rockets uniform. I know a lot of Rockets fans dislike Karl Malone magnitudinously; but he's always been one of my favorite players; a durable, rugged power forward with wits, strength, power. Just imagine the kinds of screens he could set for Tracy and Yao.

#32 Malone as a Rocket. Sounds sweet.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

there are so many things wrong with the statements above.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, what are you smoking? This team has been finalized for the season. Even CD says he's done. Why in the blue hell we would want Malone? That f**ker would be crucified if he came to Houston and I would kick his ass if he ever donned red and white.

YOU NEED TO BE BANNED!

#3 Rockets34Legend, Sep 9, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

No, no, no, no. Please no. In addition to all of the bad blood, I'd honestly take Mo Taylor and Juwan Howard over Malone anyway.

5. HoustonForever

You shouldn't be so hateful towards Malone. He's a human being. Be grateful if he ever gave Rocket fans the privilege
    to see him in the red and silver.

And I don't need to smoke anything. I don't waste time or money putting poisons into my system.

For all the wheeling and dealing that's been done, why not sign up Malone?

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What the heck is your problem, man? I think that is grounds for a permanent ban.

You're just asking to get flamed when you suggest something like this.

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

NEVER!

i retire as a rocket fan

NO TITLE FOR THE KARKA!

8. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Malone ? The b@stard is selling cheaper by day

:eek:

9. steddinotayto

you should change your name to Houstonpost-1997 because you obviously don't know jack about the history b/t the Houston Rockets, their fans, and this city and Utah/Malone.

10. HoustonForever

Well everyone has a right to his or her opinion. I'm simply a Rockets fan who admires Karl Malone. Nothing wrong with that.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh there is so much wrong with that, you have no idea. :mad:

12. steddinotayto

Please save us the trouble and just tell us that you're hear just to start crap. This thread and that comment about wanting Pippen back are two things that Rockets fans--REAL Rockets fans anyway--would never want to see happen in their lives and in their children lives. Just simply say 'hey i'm just here to cause trouble' and we'll try to understand.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Malone will forever be ridiculed as the epitome of a filthy Jazz. Now he wants yet another team to carry his has-been ass to another title just like he carried Clyde Drexler away from Stockton.

That aside, it's a decent bet that Malone's healthy days are behind him. Did he even play half a season last year? I know the guy has a reputation for being an iron horse, but even the Mona Lisa is faliing apart. Is he really going to back up Duncan or Garnett? Is he supposed to play center?

None of that matters, though. The guy's just a prick who layup-dropkicks people in the balls. I'd sooner sign Eddie Griffin.

14. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

Um do you realize what you just said.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Karl Malone is a flaming douchebag.

16. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

and you get a mother ****ing one star

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think Malone could be the character in the movie "The Bronx Tale" called the Muush. He could be a jinx for the team he goes to, how many cracks at the title has he had in his career and always fallen short. Let the Spurs or Timberwolves get him, Ill take my chances with the Howard and Taylor.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, stop posting and causing trouble. When that b*stard is mentioned, it just causes hell to break loose. Read up on your Rockets history.

19. HoustonForever

Originally posted by steddinotayto:

you should change your name to Houstonpost-1997 because you obviously don't know jack about the history b/t the Houston Rockets, their fans, and this city and Utah/Malone.

I understand and respect more about the Houston Rocket franchise than you may realize? I also can appreciate the greatness of opponents of the Rockets.

Even though I didn't like the Lakers demolishing us in our last two playoff apperances, I still admire Shaquille O'Neal.

I was incensed and deeply hurt by us losing to Seattle in '87, '89, '93 and especially '96 when we were swept. That day was Sunday, May 12, 1996.

I used to strongly dislike Jordan because of the disrespect the Rockets and Drexler received (i.e. we only won titles because Jordan retired).

I am still confident that we were the only team in the NBA who would have demolished the Chicago Bulls in a championship series; we simply matched up better with them than Seattle or Utah. But Michael Jordan finally earned my respect when he made his second return; let bygones be bygones.

I was terribly depressed when the Rockets lost to Utah in 1997 and 1998; I felt this was our chance to show the world and Michael Jordan who the real champions were, but it didn't happen. So what? You move on.

I wanted Houston to put together a string of 8 to 10 titles. Didn't happen. So what? Move on.

Karl Malone is a great player. Live with it. He would be a tremendous asset to our team.

20. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

whatever, next.

see this is where you're wrong. It's not because Shaq "demolished" us. We don't hate shaq because he beat us. I think everyone here admires shaq, and some/many like him too. Malone? no. It's his attitude. His character.

Someone play the Pharrell song, Front'n

Keep the song on repeat.

Are you still talking about Karl Malone?

See, you're making the same mistakes again. Noone said he wasn't a great player. We just don't like him. Seriously, noone likes him. Again, it's his character and the way he presents himself on the court. Nothing about talent.

All in all, this is not my fight to fight because I know there are way more people here who have a longer history with this issue, but i just wanted to chip into your bull ****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.