1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maliek Collins (DT) traded to 49’ers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Did we make the right choice here?

#1 Mr. Dominant, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    mikol13 likes this.
  2. Mr. Dominant

Does this mean Arik is coming to Houston?

3. Mr. Dominant

4. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

5. Mr. Dominant

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is what I think.
    DD

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe so......plus drafting a DT in the first 4 rounds

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We just need to sit tight because it's clear something is in motion to get a better player.

raining threes likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Nah, imma knee-jerk again until he does something.

vince, ROCKSS, desihooper and 2 others like this.
  11. today

today Contributing Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

• The 49ers are sending a seventh-round pick, No. 232, to the Houston Texans as part of Wednesday’s trade for Collins. A day earlier, it seemed as if the 49ers and Texans had a player-for-player deal in place — Armstead for Collins — but it fell apart after the Texans agreed to terms with edge rusher Danielle Hunter, per a source briefed on the situation. The 49ers instead cut Armstead on Wednesday. Armstead’s suitors are expected to include the Texans, Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans.

League observers don’t think Collins, a third-round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2016, is quite the player Armstead is. But he’s two years younger (28), is roughly $10 million cheaper than what Armstead was going to cost and ought to hit the ground running in San Francisco considering he played in a similar system last year under Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans.

The 49ers like defensive linemen who get off the line of scrimmage quickly. Back in 2016, a 311-pound Collins ran his 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in 5.02 seconds. The only 300-plus-pounder with a better time there was Hargrave at 4.93 seconds.

today likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I believe we're up against the cap and Hunter put us over. Acquiring a DT like Armstead will require making space via structure or cuts. I believe we have spent the Surplus everyone seemed to think was unlimited. And it might be the overall CAP, not the 51 CAP.

vince likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t know about over the cap, but it could definitely be something with money. I believe they got their pass rushing DT with Autry and are now looking for a run stuffer. I think they definitely will draft DT in the top 4 rounds.

15. vince

vince Member

My gut tells me that the trade was all but set, player for player; but since Hunter took the deal, the money pool tabbed for Armstead was allocated elsewhere. Which tells me that Hunter was even a surprise signing to the Texans themselves. I think they were kicking the tires on perhaps nabbing him in FA, but the 30 million a season ticket was a bit too rich. However when he came down to 25 million a season for two season, the Texans nixed the 49’er trade return and just requested a 7th round pick.

I think the Texans did right by the 49’ers and didn’t burn any bridges. I think the Texans had moved on from Malik Collin’s and are looking for someone in particular. Obviously the Texans have their eyes on DT that can fit in their financial scope, it’s just a matter of whom it is now.