1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malice at the Palace (Grantland Article)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VBG, Feb 29, 2012.

1. VBG

VBG Member

It's a oral history of what happened at the Palace on that day. Probably one of the best articles I've read in a while. Really makes you think.

My respect for Jermaine O'Neal increased and Ron Artest decreased. An event that truly changed the NBA.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7612311/view/full/an-oral-history-malice-palace

It is a long, serious read but I do recommend it.

That's basically the intro.

I do agree with this -
    I do agree with this. Because know a lotta people in Jermaine O'Neal's position who would do the exact same thing for their teammates. The fans don't get nearly as much blame for what happened.

And it reminded me about how much of a clueless idiot Ron Artest is.

2 people like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The best part of that night that everyone seems to miss is Fred Jackson disappearing... then he comes out of the locker room with a shovel. You barely get to see it on TV, its just a blip, but its priceless.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I blame the entire thing on Ben Wallace and the Detroit fans

The foul wasn't even that hard to be honest, there's no reason for Wallace to act the way he did. Artest backed off when confronted and laid on the scorer's table to calm himself, Wallace repeated tried to charge the huddle to start more shet with Artest even though Artest didn't even retaliate the initial push.

4. gah

gah Member

Thanks for sharing. Did you get an advance copy? How the hell did you read it in less than a whole day?

5. VBG

VBG Member

I legitimately have almost nothing to do at work today. :p

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yep.

The Bill Laimbeer part made me LOL.

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Could be in the GARM too :p:

Apparently the fan JO nearly killed was looking to get paid.

JO and Stephen Jackson come across good in this, IMO.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Wasn't it Jamaal Tinsley with a dustpan thing? 8:25-8:46 mark.

NBA removes all instances of this video from YouTube, but it is available on Google Video.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-169695640295285298&hl=en&fs=true style=width:500px;height:408px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

9. VBG

VBG Member

Especially JO at the end. He seems so genuine about it (one of the reasons I wouldn't mind getting him if it meant giving up an 09er.)

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

To this day, I still have no problem with what any of the Pacers did. They should have had police assistance in beating all that unruly Detroit scum ass.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As bad as that whole episode was, and what might be considered the encapsulation of the post-Jordan era flameout... it was pretty tame compared to a soccer or hockey riot, which I'm glad for.

#11 DonnyMost, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This article is a work of art.

I'm still reading it.

BTW, this part about that fan messing with Yao got me a bit heated
    Here's a better quality video

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/c22_1269743628"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/c22_1269743628" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bingo. Tinsley with the Dustpan -- its like playing a game of Clue! And I said Fred Jackson when I meant Fred Jones, and even then I'd be wrong.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

IMO, this brawl is why the Pistons won the championship and the Pacers lost.

Pacers had a really good team that year, and looking at how much of an anomaly that season was, it's not a stretch to say that if Artest isn't gone, they could go all the way.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Angel: The only time I felt I was about to get hurt was when a policeman popped his pepper spray container and started shaking it up. Reggie Miller was pleading with him, "Please don't. My suit costs x-hundred dollars."

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Pistons were defending Champions when this happened.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Pacers could have won it all, that team was pretty deep.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, Did Spurs win that year? They played Pistons in the Finals I think.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They did, and the Spurs won in 7 games.

Pacers had what it took to match up against the Spurs. Ron Artest won DPOY just a season before, he would have been troublesome for Ginobl and O'Neal would match up against Duncan.

That was Reggie's last and one of the best chances for him to win a ring.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, it was so randomly thrown in there, too. Though I think his strategy made sense giving the situation. It wasn't like a bomb counting down. There were no guns being fired. Chill out, relax, don't get involved, and you'll be fine. I like it! :cool: