1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Making playoffs might hurt Rockets more than help

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

There is one ultimate goal in professional basketball: to win the finals. Getting into the playoffs gets you closer to that goal than drafting @13.

If these guys learn how to lose or even for one minute thought that they were coached to lose by Rudy, then they would think that they're just wasting their time out there. Do you want Steve Francis thinking that he's wasting his time w/ the Rockets?

The lottery race is fun, when it is inevitable. The Rockets have a chance right now at the larger prize. They've beaten NYK twice, they've split w/ Miami and Philly. Dream's playing better than any Center in the East. Francis can't be guarded by the Knicks, Heat or Philly.

They just have to get there. The upcoming games against POR and UT will be very telling.

------------------
    Good night everyone, Canadian or American. Just remember that we're all bound together by basketball, the internet and the mullet.

(My attempts at trying to sooth over an international incident).

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If the Rockets can beat Minnessota and Portland in upcoming games, I have a feeling that all the analysts will be changing their tunes a bit. Keep in mind that last year's Rocket team lost the first two to Portland, and won the next two. And I don't think Minnessota is good enough to keep beating the Rockets. If the Rockets can beat these two teams, its playoffs here we come. Just remember that anything can happen in the playoffs, especially when Hakeem is playing at a high level.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

What would be really delightful to watch is if the Rockets make the playoffs then upset everyone to get to the finals. I extremely doubt it, but I would love to hear Marv Albert's reaction to the Rockets coming in 8th and winding up World Champions. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    The best is yet to come.
    Go Rockets!

[This message has been edited by finalsbound (edited February 19, 2001).]

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

YES! And it counts!

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

You can't weigh the importance of a higher pick against the importance of making the playoffs. Its impossible. The only way to judge would be to see who the rockets drafted with their pick.

I gaurantee you that if griffin or wallace slipped and we got them, all of you would be happy that we didnt make the playoffs.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

6. Horry25

Horry25 Member

Ratliff is the next Hakeem Olajuwon!

------------------
    WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOOOOO-ING!

7. wink3

wink3 Member

Don't forget that we get Milwaukee's 1st rounder if they make the playoffs(which they will).

------------------
    WHAT ARE YOU DO-ING!?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<h3>News Flash</h3>

Horry25 is a troll, ignore him please, or respond to him only in his thread.

9. Valio!

Valio! Member

This guy is full of illogical drivel...His so-called opinion piece is peppered with argument fallacies.

Example: "If you're a .500 team in February, there's a good chance you'll be one in April."

He factors in nothing (like schedule, trades, injuries, etc). Just assumes that because something is at one level, it will continue to be so...

Also, the Rockets rebuilding program is in jeopardy if they make the playoffs? All because they'd get bumped down a few draft picks?? Is this guy really trying to make some sort of point or is there just that much vacant space on the pages of the Austin American Statesman that needs to be filled?

------------------
    "Weathermen are simply con-artists with radar equipment. A 50 percent chance of rain? That's the same as saying 'maybe, maybe not.' I could tell you that!" - P. Mesku

10. rock

rock Member

The Rockets should still play their hearts out every night to win. We didn't keep them in this city for nothing. Look how many people in the draft ended up being busts. So screw the draft. I hope they make it even if they are number 8.

------------------

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kirk Bohls is the biggist idiot in all of Austin. I've lived in Austin 10 years and I don't recall one good article.

Draft picks don't mean anything unless you are drafting top 3 or 4. After 3 or 4, it is a crap shoot. You may get a Mobley or Rashad in the second round or you could get a Pryzbilla in the first. Forget tanking, lets get to the playoffs.

------------------

12. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I have to agree with the notion that the Rockets need to make the playoffs.

1) They need the experience.
    2) I think Webber would notice, and it would be something else to entice him.
    3) Draft picks are important, but not as important as the playoffs.

If the Rockets did make the playoffs, they would lose their darft pick this year, but the Rockets get one from Milwaukee and a couple of second-rounders from the Bulls (where CD and Rudy always have a knack for finding talent).

------------------

13. wink3

wink3 Member

We pretty much were forced to tank last year (due to injuries and being undermanned), and we ended up with 2 softies. A center who is more hurt than healthy and a skinnier Matt Bullard who airballs half of his shot attempts.

------------------
    Don't look at the feet

14. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I'm sorry but the playoffs are FAR more important then getting a higher pick. Heres the reasons as already mentioned.

1. We get to the playoffs without a frontcourt, then WE ACE CHRIS WEBBER, period.

2. Respect - We have none. We need it.

3. Taste of Blood - Franchise needs to hoodwink some cats and feel the pressure of the playoffs so he can play with more vengenace.

4. Playoffs mean Rudy T will stay in Houston for the rest of his life.

peace

ps: tanking is for wusses

------------------
    -jbond77

15. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I dont know how or why a team would tank it. How can a team try to lose? It's moronic.You should know nobody on this team is a quitter. Last year the rocks could have tanked it and gotten a higher pick but they went on a roll at the end of the season. Yea, I've heard all this talk about next years draft being great, but I dont buy it. People were saying that the 99' draft was supposed to be relatively weak, and now people are saying that is could be one of the best draft classes ever. I would rather make the 8th seed and have a chance at webber, than tank the season and pray the ping pong balls bounce our way.

------------------

16. Toast

Toast Member

Making the playoffs never hurts.

I think if we make the playoffs, we'll be that sleeper team no one wants to play. Watch out for Houston.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club