1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make your final 3 cuts (Sura excluded)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Oct 25, 2007.

?

I want to cut... (choose 3)

Poll closed Oct 29, 2007.
  1. John Lucas III

94.8%
  2. Carl Landry

4.5%
  3. Steve Novak

44.4%
  4. Kirk Snyder

23.1%
  5. Justin Reed

87.5%
  6. Jackie Butler

41.8%
  7. Other (please list)

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Wait, I wanna change my vote!

Reed/Butler/Snyder

2. Nero

Nero Member

I definitely do not envy the Rox brass on these cuts.

So many issues can affect all this: money, depth, talent, 'fit'.

Start with Reed. Never got much of a chance to see him play, but even he looked decent out there last night.

Heck, even Lucas has some talent.

The thing I hate, that I suspect we all hate, is the idea that we will let the 'wrong' guy go, and he will blossom into a guy we will regret letting him go.

It seems like all of these guys could bite us in this way, except for Butler. I get no kind of 'feel-good' vibes from him at all.

And even at that, there's the depth factor - do we dare go into the season with only Yao and Deke, and nobody behind them? Would Butler even offer anything worthwhile, if some injury happened and he was forced into duty?

And then Novak. I think Novak stays. He needs some time to develop, and when he does, he will fit in this system like a glove. I think Morey and Adelman see this, and realize that he is a guy worth hanging onto, because the risk/reward factor is worth it.

And Snyder. I have really been pulling for this guy, because he could really be a monster out there, kind of like a miniature version of Shawn Kemp. I would hate o see him finally develop into that monster playing for another team, but he just doesn't seem to fit here.

So I guess, if it were me having to make these decisions, I would cut the following guys:

Lucas - he's got some talent, and maybe he can find a permanent hom on a team somewhere, but it just isn't going to be here.

Butler - has showed nothing at all, as far as I can tell, and the mere value of 'big-man depth' does not seem to be enough, especially in Adelman's system, where guys like Scola and Hayes can man the 5 anyway. Plus, we're only on the hook for his salary for one year, if I am not mistaken. Maybe they can trade him, for that reason. SOME team ought to covet a young big man with only a year left, shouldn't they?

Snyder - this is the one that gives me the most sorrow, because he just seems, at least in the telecast context, to be a decent kid, with his heart and effort in the right place. He just doesn't seem to be able to integrate into the 'flow' of what this team needs, and I don't have a lot of confidence that he will ever be able to, especially with the extremely limited minutes he would get here if he were to stay. Good luck, Kirk.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

For starters he's long (which Snyder is not) which helps his potential as a lock-down defender in spot minutes, and it would be just about impossible to make more stupid plays than Snyder does. I'd rather have that than a guy who can't dribble, makes bad passes, can't get his own shot off effectively, can't make shots in the first place, and looks lost at times.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

John Lucas III - Cut him. Redundant position.
    Carl Landry - After what he did against the Grizz, and the fact that we need a 3rd PF, I think we'll keep him
    Steve Novak - Hasn't shown anything in the pros at all. At least Ryan Bowen flew around with energy
    Kirk Snyder - More trade value than any of the other guys so we'll keep him
    Justin Reed - Haven't seen this guy play much, I guess that means he's not that good
    Jackie Butler - Sucks

It's going to be JLIII, Novak, and the contract of either Reed or Butler that's the best $ value for the team.

5. Trip

Trip Member

Does anyone have any idea of what weight Francis is playing at? In his best years in Houston he was between 190 to 195 pounds. What is he now? 210?

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Another way to look at this via our depth chart*:

1: Rafer Alston, Mike James, Steve Francis, Aaron Brooks, Luther Head
    2: Tracy MacGrady, Bonzi Wells, Luther Head, Steve Francis, Mike James, Kirk Snyder
    3: Tracy MacGrady, Shane Battier, Bonzi Wells, Kirk Snyder
    4: Luis Scola, Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Shane Battier
    5: Yao Ming, Jackie Butler, Dikembe Mutombo, Luis Scola

assuming the following are gone: John Lucas III, Steve Novack, Justin Reed (which are who I voted off the island)

On the Snyder vs. Reed comparison, neither player gets off the end of the bench. Whoever we release, we may be doing a favor.

* we could quibble about the ordering, especially about the 1 and the 2, but the quibbling would be over players who are locks to make the team and not the bubble player at the end of the lists

#26 No Worries, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Snyder's comingf off a brioken wrist which kills your shot and finishing at the hoop...two strengths of our Kirk's game.Yes,for those who didn't know in addition to the athleticism which helps him play D and run the break,Snyder is like a career 36 % shooter from 3.(or something close to it)With a healthy wrist and the kind of wide open looks he'll get here expect 38 -40 from downtown...Sure he could gealso get dealt but noway do I see him as a cut.There's upside and trade value....filler at the very least.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If we had a poll about the player most likely to be traded, Synder would get my vote.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

Lucas, Reed, Butler
    I'd like to keep Novak... I know all he can do is shoot right now, but I think that's a highly undervalued skill, esp at the end of games.

Considering none of the above will likely get any real minutes, I'd rather have someone who can flat out shoot.

10. redao

redao Member

Lucas: obvious

Butler: If you want to develop a young backup center, you need to cut this guy to avoid wasting your time. Find someone else who is at least willing to play baksetball.

Novak: has no game.

11. redao

redao Member

AT the end of a close game, I'd still choose Battier and Scola's defense,shooting, flopping, intangibles over Novak's streaky shooting.

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

If Harris left isn't it logical that Kirk is staying?!
    Carl Landry or Steve Novak,that's the question,I'll be suprised if Reed stays.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

But now if I were More I would definetly choose Snyder.

I only hope he won't show his shootin' skills anymore. I wanna his agressivness :rolleyes:

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think you've got it right. If we are not able to make a trade, we are going to cut expirings and bite the bullet with the other contracts. Butler, and Reed are expirings next year that we can use to swing a deal with, possibly at the trade deadline. Morey ain't gonna cut guys with another year left on their deal and be stuck with dead money on the cap.

15. MrMatt

MrMatt Member

i have not been impressed at all with snyder. everytime i see him with the ball it seems like he just jacks up a long shot brick. id rather keep novak over snyder.

16. bjshot

bjshot Member

The easiest two are JLIII and Butler. Butler has the size but don't have the attitude. It's no potential. Reed can make shot in pre-s, but his record in regular-s against him. Novak have potentials to survive in the league but how long it will take to realize the potential?

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Lucas, Reed, and Fancy.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

If Novak had that shoots that Snyder has taken from the outside he would probably be the best 3-point shooter on the team

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The guys that make the most fiscal sense, assuming these will be actual cuts and not a 3-1 trade: Landry, JL3, Novak.

Butler and Reed are both on the books next year, and cuts do not release teams of salary cap/lux tax obligations. To cut them would in essence make next year's lux tax $4 million tougher on us, and we're already have $60+ million committed to 10 guys in '08-'09.

Snyder's a RFA this summer, so that makes him a little easier pill to swallow. The only reason I'd hesitate dropping him to clear a roster spot, aside from leaving his $2.3 on the books, is that he and Bonzi are the only two "pure" SGs on the roster with reasonable size. It'd be nice insurance to avoid situations where we're depending on Steve or James to hold the fort at the 2 when they give up 3 to 4 inches on everyone.

Personally, I still think Morey needs to burn the phone lines and get a trade to happen that clears some of the deck. Ideally, this would be the way to drop Reed and the others.

If I had to make cuts as a last resort, I cut Snyder, Novak, and JL3. None of them look like they can contribute on the squad, and all are final year contracts. If we were in a world without cap rules, I'd drop Reed before Snyder.

Evan

20. Rocket_Man_2.0

Going
    John Lucas
    Novak...too one dimensional..no d..can't rebound
    Reed...has a good face up jumper..not very athletic..Rockets have Landry

Staying
    Snyder..too much value
    Butler...future back up center
    Landry...cost us future 2nd pick + money