1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make the playoffs, don't tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Mar 22, 2012.

1. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

If we make the playoffs, we don't get our pick for this draf(nets get it, top 14 protected for us). I'm really torn, because on the one hand I'd love to see some playoff games for the Rockets, but i really want to get 3 picks in the upcoming draft.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yes we won our division but had the worst record among div. winners. the lakers won 62 games that year and it was a huge upset when we got past them. obviously not as good an example as 1981.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Tanking should not even be an issue at this point, it's clear that the Rockets are not going to tank. Also, it would be really hard to tank when you have players on the court like Dragic, Parsons, Scola and Lee. Those guys give 100% any time they are on the floor.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which is, I think, a big reason why McHale is in no rush for Kevin Martin to return to the floor. He wants guys who're gonna kick a** out there.

Granted, Lee and Dragic are also playing for contracts, but if that helps them hustle even more, it's fun to watch.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

again, there was nothing mediocre about that 1986 team..that team had a legit HOF'er who was in his second season and around whom the team paired a previous #1 pick and a lot of great parts to build around. if we were mediocre with that kind of future staring us in the face today jackasses like me wouldn't be complaining. :)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen.

DD

7. thegary

it did yake us 8 years after that to reach the promised land.
    anywho, go rox.

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

you're missing the point of the thread. under no circumstances can we tank to get a high pick because it does nothing for our team. we will be perennial losers with no hope of recovery.

and this year was the worst year to do it. it is a short season with a deep draft. all the fans in houston would lose their interest in the rockets going after a name that is said over and over again in the national spotlight. I fear this type of thinking.

its better that we make the playoffs and bruise the heel of OKC to show that, by golly, we have heart.[​IMG]

9. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Still haven't seen any kind of plan from the pro-tankers, other than whining about mediocrity. I would love to see a detailed roadmap to first get this team to tank with the current personnel, then how you would rebuild from there.

You're gonna have to trade most of them including firing McHale, he won't stand for that.

I'm actually interested to see one, shouldn't be that hard with half this forum in favor of tanking. No more whining, put up or shutup.

10. MadMax

because Sampson broke down and Wiggins and Lloyd threw their careers away. that team throttled the Showtime Lakers and stood their ground in the Finals against arguably the greatest single season team of all time.

11. MadMax

start by trading veterans and never signing Dalembert. that's a good place to start.

12. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

You obviously didn't see Rasheed play with the Blazers.

13. thegary

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If you ask nicely I'll tell you. Otherwise no more whining, nutup or shutup

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't forget that Lucas also sniffed the white stuff.

We lost the 3 best guards on that team in a few months, that spelled disaster.

Sweet Lou was amazing.

DD

16. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Here was the plan:

Starting line up:
    Thabeet
    Hill
    Budinger
    TWill
    Flynn

These 2009 draftee need to play a lot more minutes before they were unloaded...Morey would be a very happy GM talking about his assets..

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the Pistons teams went to the Eastern Conference Finals 6 years in a row as oppose to 4 mentioned above

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I agree completely with the first two posts of this thread.

... However it IS a little weaksauce that missing the playoffs means we don't get ANY 1st round pick (other than the Knicks' and possibly Mavs' pick that we traded for).

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

anything can happen in a lockout shortened season. the Rockets are one seed out of the 4th seed while a Utah win tonight vs denver puts them in a three way tie for 7th, leaving one team out looking in.

I'd rather be the team competing in May

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think the OPs point is that:

the Clippers have two players on his list.
    the Knicks have two borderlines.
    We had one.
    And NJ has one.

Where are those four going?

oh, and you really should include the defending champions in your list of teams to compare to...Dallas traded down to get Nowitzki at the 9th, so maybe trading up to the 9th can produce same results?

This discussion is always predicated on Championships. If you look at the 2nd best team in the league throughout the years (which was often the WCF loser rather than the NBA Finals loser), there are plenty examples of teams who didn't tank. If you count all SERIOUS CONTENDERS, I think us Rockets fans would be sad and maybe angry to lose a Finals, but we would all admit that if Morey got us to the Finals or even WCFs then his plan worked as well as tanking.

#40 heypartner, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012