1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic to match Dallas' offer to Gortat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

Gortat can't be S&T.

Even if the Magic were to trade Gortat after Dec 15 who could the Rockets offer in return?

Magic still need to take back at least $4.6832M worth of salary. If they're paying that anyway why would they want some combination of Cook, Hayes, Barry, or Dorsey over Gortat?

2. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

yea one source is hoopsworld but i have another one from thedreamshake.com .......... ESPN is reporting that the Magic have matched the offer Cuban and the Mavericks have made to Orlando Center Marcin Gortat.

This is GREAT news for Houston and for Daryl Morey, who will probably have another turn at trying to aquire Gortat. It looks like a good idea by Orlando as well, realizing Gortat's value and opting to resign him probably in order to sign and trade.
    Editor's Note: Morey wasn't going to make a move until this situation was resolved. Now that Orlando has retained Gortat, I think Morey can take another shot at him. Honestly, I haven't looked much into a possible deal at all, but Battier's name is the one that I keep hearing. I'll do some more research on it and come up with a feasible plan. -- Tom

3. worzel gummidge

thedreamshake.com are mostly fan posts but in blog format. It's not a reliable source.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the Magic just saved the Mavs from making a mistake. Gortat isn't that good, which is why Morey wouldn't offer him the full MLE.

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

Gortat really won't be able to earn his keep in Orlando because of Howard, he'll be limited to 15 mpg. Orlando made a mistake in keeping him, they'll get less out of him than Dallas potentially would.

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I think they would rather trade him post-December than lose him for nothing.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He isn't,but on a team with so many weapons like Dallas he could run the floor,dunk and play some defense. Cuban doesn't care about money all that much anyway.

8. worzel gummidge

They just took away another contending team's starting center.

9. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

well most the stuff they post is good info. you have to remember almost every basketball website is just based on rumors all of them besides espn... all im saying is dont be surprised if a trade happens i honestly hope we dont go after gortat we should be trading for marcus camby rumors say he's on the trading block... im pretty sure morey is gonna get something done cause were not gonna go into the season with chuck hayes starting at center...

10. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

The contending team in question was Dallas, not the Cavs or Celtics, or even in their conference, and not the Lakers either. I don't think this was a motivating factor.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Depends on how you look at it. He averaged 4/4 in 13 mpg in 63 games last season and everyone says he's ready for the big time. I think Gortat is best suited for 15-20 mpg at the most. I don't think he will do well as a full-time starting C over an 82 game season, plus playoffs. Scrub minutes made him look better than he is.

12. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

Clippers' Camby a hot commodity
    By Chris Tomasson

Marcus Camby might not be getting any airtime from John Walsh, but he's still one of America's most wanted men.

The Los Angeles Clippers center recently met with Mike Dunleavy, the team's coach and general manager. He found out how much he's coveted around the NBA.

"A lot of teams have been calling. He was up front with me," said Camby, in Las Vegas to watch his team at the NBA Summer League. "A lot of teams are calling and asking for my services. ... A lot of contenders are looking for different pieces to add to their team, especially the way the economy is going and with the salary cap."

In fact, shortly before Camby spoke, one team executive pointed to Camby and said, "That's the guy we'd like."

Camby, 35, would be an ideal acquisition since he has one-year left on a contract with a salary-cap figure of $9.15 million, meaning he could help a team clear room for the coveted 2010 free-agent class. And, oh, did we mention that Camby, who averaged 10.3 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.13 blocks, can still play a bit?

But Camby, with the Clippers having recently somehow been able to move Zach Randolph's huge contract to Memphis, doesn't believe he will be dealt.

"I actually talked to Mike a few days ago, and he asked me about free agents," Camby said. "It looks like I'll still be there. ... I don't want to put words in his mouth, but he made it seem like I was still going to be around."

Camby, who was devastated at being traded last summer from Denver to the Clippers, said he would have no problem remaining in Los Angeles. But, if a trade to a contender were to surface, he wouldn't be too torn up about it.

"I definitely wouldn't mind," said Camby, who made it to the NBA Finals with New York in 1999 but hasn't been on the winning end in a playoff series since 2000. "But I also feel comfortable with the situation (in Los Angeles). Last year, we were hit by the injury bug and lost a lot of key players. But with Blake (Griffin, the NBA's top draft pick) coming in and Baron (Davis) coming back healthy and the talent we have, we should definitely be a whole lot better than we were last year."

One thing is for sure. If the Clippers do look to trade to deal Camby, there will be no shortage of suitors. .....

do you guys think we can do a sign and trade with von wafer going to the clippers??

brooks
    t-mac
    ariza
    scola
    camby

your thoughts cluthfans..... :D

13. worzel gummidge

the magic signed bass and acquired rayan adersen through trade. all they need now is a backup pg.

i guess if morey has something planned with the magic he'll sign a pg as lowry's substitute. if he signs two pgs it probably means he definately has something in the works.

14. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

A backup center putting up 4/4 in 13 mpg (or say we increase that to 6/5 or so) is worth the full MLE for 5 years?

I'd think with the full MLE one would expect a 9/8 type player for 20-25 mpg, like a Joel Przybilla (who is on an MLE contract). Orlando isn't going to get that kind of production out of Gortat unless Howard gets injured.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

BS, if he starts and puts up double double like he is projected to in 36 minutes, he'd be worth more than way more than MLE. Of course now it is moot because he is not gonna start for the Magic.

16. worzel gummidge

17. robby_33

robby_33 Member

Heh.. isn't ESPN the most LIKELY to be based off rumors?? :D

Yeah, i don't think Gortat will be coming to houston, I'm sure Morey will have another center on the roster by the time training camp comes around. Isn't it exciting trying to figure out who the heelll it's going to be?!?

18. Garner

Garner Member

Finally! some entertaining news!

Now if it would only have 'Rockets' in the article title...

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No he isn't. Like I said, the Magic saved the Mavs from making a mistake and they are definitely overpaying for a backup C who won't get much time.

But maybe a big rotation of Howard, Bass and Gortat could work for one season as the Magic gear for another championship run.

20. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

yea this is very exciting as a fan of the rockets and because everyone is saying were a lottery team with no hope... in all honesty we have a lot of players on this team that are hungry to win some fiesty players... i think the rockets are targeting camby.. the thing is who do we trade to get him?? if we could somehow trade cook, barry, lowry, and use our trade exception ... idk if salaries would match but hey if the clippers bite im all for it.... it would be a huge steal kinda like gasol to the lakers.... if we dont trade for a center i think morey will settle for drew gooden who can post, shoot the mid-range, and rebound... whatever happens i know one thing is certain the rockets are gonna go out everyday and play to win... we have a talented roster and rick adelman is a great coach look for the rockets to play this season like the kings back in the day when that offense was fun to watch..... and hey who knows t-mac might return and play like his old self or we trade him in the trade deadline.... possible line-ups

brooks/conroy... thats if lowry gets traded
    ariza/taylor
    battier/budinger... white isn't gonna make the roster
    scola/landry
    camby/dorsey

hopefully t-mac can make a comeback.....

other line-up

brooks/lowry
    ariza/taylor
    battier/budinger
    scola/landry
    gooden/hayes/dorsey expect dorsey to get some pt so he can get his feet wet and have a full nba season under his belt....

in morey we trust... now i aint no gm but he has something up his sleeve.... we will find out soon i just hope we make a push for camby....