1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic to match Dallas' offer to Gortat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this guy is gonna be untradable for 4 years. whats the infatuation with him?

2. Asian Sensation

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

It's a luxury to have a skilled big man that can play the 5 especially when you lack depth at the position. More importantly it's a necessity for the Magic since they're contending for a Championship.

Cavs- Shaq and Big Z
    Lakers- Gasol and Bynum
    Celtics- Perkins, KG, Wallace
    Blazers- Oden and Pryz
    Spurs- Duncan and Mcdyess
    Magic- Howard and Gortat is much better than Howard and Battie or Howard and Foyle.

3. Asian Sensation

A mobile 6'11 big body with good footwork, can finish around the rim, grabs rebounds and plays decent man defense. Plus he's only 25. What's not to like? He could start for a lot of teams.

4. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. You can exceed the cap beyond a certain amount by resigning your own players and not have to pay luxury tax. I think you don't start paying luxury tax next season until you are over ~$70M.

5. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

11/13/2.4b in 36 minutes on 57% shooting? I believe he has a little range too.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. I still think they should have never let Turkoglu go, but keeping Gortat and adding Vince Carter and Brandon Bass... They ought to be very competitive again next season. My only concern is can Dwight Howard lead that team or is Vince Carter going to try to pull the seniority card? Because I have no faith in a Vince Carter lead team to go anywhere.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

hahaha. I didn't even think about that. Good call.

8. Asian Sensation

I think they will feed off of each other nicely. I don't think Carter has any desire to be the man and run the show unless he's needed in a particular situation to step up and fill that role. All I know is he's a helluva upgrade in comparison to JJ Reddick and Courtney Lee. And he's just as clutch as Hedo and can take over games as well as a legit go-to-guy when the games on the line.

Oh and to those that say he's to injury prone and misses games. He's missed only 11 games over the last 4 seasons.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

How soon can we trade Battier for Gortat?

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm also surprised by this - I think Gortat's worth it. He's no stiff, he's probably as good a backup center as you'd find in the league and better than a handful of the starting ones.

What's amazing is how much money Orlando is throwing around. They've been in money trouble forever, constantly hearing rumblings about their viability. This puts them roughly $10M over the tax line, if my math is right - which equates to $23M in total "loss"

Good for them making an all out push for a title - I suppose they're banking that a championship pays the mortgage.

And yeah, no tears over Dallas is getting screwed a little.

11. RocketsFan#1

RocketsFan#1 Member

Hey at least Dallas didn't get him. I really believe that the Rockets didn't really want him, but to hide that they were really trying to get Trevor Ariza. :D

12. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

hey word is the magic are looking to sign and trade gortat expect morey to make a move.... :D ........ Magic Match Gortat

The Orlando Magic
    matched the Dallas Mavericks' offer sheet to center Marcin Gortat today, a move the Gortat camp was hoping wouldn't go down. Gortat very much wanted to be a Maverick after a fantastic meeting with the Mavs' brass and Jason Kidd - even Dirk Nowitzki got on the phone to express how much he liked the idea of having Gortat on the team. Now it's back to the drawing board for the Mavs while Gortat's camp waits to find out where he'll play next season. It's widely believed the Magic will sign-and-trade Gortat, as GM Otis Smith has said repeatedly the Mavs' offer was far too much to pay a back-up center, which is what he would be in Orlando.

We're following this story closely, expecting more news this evening . . .

13. Asian Sensation

I asked if Gortat can be signed and traded on an offer match sheet and there were replys saying that he can't be signed and traded this offseason. He will be a Magic no?

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Where did you get this info because it's totally inaccurate. A sign and trade is no longer a possibility. Once Gortat signed the offer sheet from the Mavs, there was only two ways it could play out. Either the magic match and Gortat goes back to orlando, or don't match and he goes to dallas.

Since it's being reported that the Magic have matched the offer, the Magic will have to keep him until at least Dec 15th, when recently signed free agents can officially be moved. And they can't trade him to the Mavs for at least a year, which is another stipulation of a matched offer sheet.

Edit: I should have known. The above article was from h00psworld. When will people learn that the h00psworld rocket guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This was probably already mentioned, but its a good thing that the Rockets did not pursue Gortat more aggressively. Imagine if we had upped our offer, gotten him to sign the offer sheet, and then in the end we don't get him. We'd probably have missed out on Ariza too.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It might have been mentioned. But not mentioned enough. Morey strikes again! ;)

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

hahahahahaha, Cuban deserves it.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

sorry, but none of that is worth 5 years 34 million