1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Posturing About Keeping Dwight Howard Until Feb. 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 23, 2012.

1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Then who do you see signing him to his desired max deal in free agency?

2. ClKent

ClKent Member

Sorry guys. Didnt think it was rude honestly. I really thought it was a funny subject by now. Like tongue in cheek.

Like you know. (We are never gonna get Howard HAHAHAHA!) type stuff by now. Apologies if you are still so serious about getting him.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I sincerely hope that ORL keeps him and he gets hurt.

It really has gone on too long and disgustingly.

Jeremy Lamb, Jeremy Lin, Royce White, Terrence Jones, DMO, Parsons. 6 guys, I seriously think that 1-3 will end up being impact building blocks. We have a great thing going here as long as we dedicate one year to developing our youth.

If we slip into the playoffs, then obviously the young guys are playing great. If we win 30 games, then obviously they played decently and we still get a lottery pick. If they win 20 games, then we get the high value asset that is needed to tie all of this together. IMO I don't bet on Toronto making the playoffs. So I think we will have two lottery picks. I don't think Lowry/Fields will be enough to get them in the playoffs. Even with their two highly touted rookies.

The only two things we can do to really screw up are 1. To trade for D12 and have him walk away. OR 2. Cash in all of our assets for two Semi Stars (IE Igualdola, Josh Smith, Granger, Gasol)

4. htown1984

htown1984 Member

What happen to the Dwight will be traded by the end of the week...
    Already Thursday and not even one significant rumor of a Dwight Trade...
    This is getting ridiculously insane...

Maybe thats why Adrian Woj.. just decided to stay quiet... Nothing from him for a long time...

does anyone know when Morey gets back from the Olympics?

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Quiet is what happens usually before a big trade. I like the non-chatter actually. Let's just get this crap over with.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's gone on too long here and in the media (i.e. Twitterverse). But I doubt Morey is as frustrated as everyone here. He has made a pitch he is comfortable with and is waiting for Orlando to exhaust their options. All of the nonsense you read about on here is not representative of how it's playing out behind the scenes.

7. moreyball

moreyball Member

fu**in dou**bag muthafu**in prick fennigan better trade duwight soon, i'm getting fu**in bored

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry, but it wont happen till a certain deadline is set. The deadline is the start of training camp. I would say October 15th should be the date we mark on our calenders. If you are sitting around waiting, you are going to end up like Moreyball here on Clutchfans typing endless profanities.

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

as fans, I wish we had longer memories so these divas cannot get their reputations back when they stupidly crap on it.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The problem is one always comes along that makes the last one not look as bad, at least IMO. Kobe > Lebron > Dwight. Until Anthony Davis turns into a complete dick or something.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

They get big heads... virtually unavoidable.

12. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would compare this more to the Deron Williams and Carmelo situations than Kobe and Lebron. Do you remember how many Carmelo threads there were here....

13. moreyball

moreyball Member

We need to trade for another all-star BEFORE getting Dwight. Take away some of the pieces Orlando would receive from us. Gotta let ORL know we aren't gonna wait around for the prick to make a move.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

^ i like that..don't wanna wait with that p***y DH12.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

No, we don't. That plays right into the Magic's hands. A move to trade for an all star let's them know we want to win now. Rather than being able to walk away from the table and say "well, we'll keep our young guys and rebuild then".

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

i think it happens sooner rather than later... the longer this thing drags the worser the packages get.

17. jacoby

jacoby Member

That's about as bad a thing as we can do. We don't want to trade away our talented young assets to bring in a Rudy Gay type player, only to strike out on Dwight and be stuck with him.

If we don't get Bynum or Howard, we have to stay young. 2 lotto picks plus 5 or 6 young talented players with potential is not a bad thing to fall back on.

18. moreyball

moreyball Member

When I say bring in an All-Star I don't mean Rudy Gay (I don't even think the muthafu**in prick a$$hole even made the All-Star team?). I mean more like Iggy

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Can someone explain to me why the Rockets would be interested in trading for Howard if the Magic did indeed keep him until February? What would be the incentive?

If we are trading for him, that is a WIN NOW move. There is a decent chance that the Rockets could be in position for a high lottery pick by that point...

So how exactly would the organization be able to convince Dwight to stay after the team misses the playoffs, has no draft picks or young talent, AND is strapped with Orlando's bad contracts?!

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're making WAY too many assumptions there. Yes, IF the asking price is ALL of Houston's draft picks/young talent AND the Rockets are in position for a high lottery pick, it would be illogical to trade for Howard. Fairly certain Morey understands this, too. He's not an idiot.

That said, what if it's like last year? What if the Rockets "overachieve" (I personally don't think it'll take much overachieving, but the expectations here are out of control) and have a .500-ish team without Howard, potentially placing them in borderline contention with him? What if the package doesn't require ALL of your draft picks/young talent? The Rockets believed they had a deal done for Howard in March (if not for the opt-in), and they didn't have a fraction of the young assets they have today.

The reality comes back to the "it depends" cliche. If your worst-case scenario plays out, then no, it doesn't make sense to go after Howard, and the team won't. If the scenario I painted (and what happened last year) plays out, I expect the Rockets would still go after him at the deadline, much like they did in March. It sounds like you expect an easy answer, and there won't be until these variables play out.

All that said, I think this is exactly why the Magic get a deal done before the year. If they want to go the draft picks/young assets route and not the Bynum/Lopez route, it's too risky for them to drag this out into the season.