1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Posturing About Keeping Dwight Howard Until Feb. 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Go away. Dwight fan.

2. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

To be fair I have this name because I thought we were gonna get Dwight,but im a Rockets fan first before Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Carl. It was a reasonable opinion that can easily be supported by stats and advanced stats.

4. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Lol, Chuck Hayes has more wins than Dirk...

5. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I'd rather not. First, if we take on more bad contracts but keep our young talent, we can always package a Royce White or a Terrence Jones with one of them for an expiring if we NEED to clear the space, because most of their 'bad' contracts aren't franchise-killers. Second, if everything goes to hell and Dwight bails on us, we just have to spend the next season or two digesting their bad contracts. We can still be players on the trade market if we have most of our young assets.

Finally, cap space is really overrated. Unless you are in a destination city that players really want to get to, it doesn't do you much good. Even assuming a star you want chooses not to sign the bigger contract with the team that holds his Bird rights (unlikely) you've still got to beat out all the other suitors to get him.

6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I'm good either way ... But I do wonder if Hakeem had a conversation w/ him yet ... I don't buy that Dwight wouldn't want to play here because of the pressure of Hakeems success, when Dwight was more than willing to pay for Hakeem to train him ... :/ But that's a conversation of its own

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

He has a lot more options than you think when he becomes a FA. Stop being a homer and blinded by ignoring teams with cap (Mavs) and teams with cap (nets, lakers) can unload players to teams without.

Don't forget Lakers still have their amnesty!

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I was responding to a previous comment, referring to a scenario where Dwight agrees to resign before we trade for him.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

^^ correction

10. BriBri07

BriBri07 Member

It really doesn't matter who has cap, well be in the driver seat because we can pay him 30 more million period.
    Right now we have no chance of signing howard , but if we trade for him our chances increase dramatically, although its not even remotely close to a sure thing id put our percentage at 60%.
    I just hope we do end this saga with him becoming a rocket because iam confident morey will be able to convince him to stay, weather it be by making more moves, or using yao or hakeem to convince him this is the right place for him to continue his career.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

LOL. They're not just a little over the cap - they're so far and beyond that they can't even see being $20 million under the cap. Tell me, in the Nets/Lakers case, what precedent is there for dumping about $40 million in contracts for nothing?

12. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

13. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

via 3 way trade with Cavs*

14. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Landry Fields at 9.2? GTFO ah here.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I have no idea Lakers need to dump 40 millions of cap to retain D12 as a FA. Is that what you are saying??

If D12 becomes a FA, Bynum will be off the book. Thats 16.5 mils. If they amnesty 1) Gasol 19 millions or 2) Matte World War 7.7 mils. That's plenty of room for DH.

Again, do not underestimate the desire for DH not wanting to play in Houston.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can't find a current Rocket on the list.:(

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

No. Not nearly enough. They'd have to either dump Gasol and World Peace at minimum in order to do that( and who's going to do that, since the Lakers don't really have any picks as they were sent to Phoenix for Nash and they have no good prospects) or amnesty Kobe. I actually think the Lakers could get under if they amnestied Kobe, but that's not going to happen for obvious reasons.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You might want to actually look at their cap situation:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm