1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Posturing About Keeping Dwight Howard Until Feb. 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 23, 2012.

1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I love our off season so far.Im one that wants to keep our picks and tank.Im worried that we look so good for the future and it will all be thrown away.That being said if Dwight comes here and signs a extension i will hit the tip jar with fifty.Im a rook so im not sure how to do that but mark it down if he comes to Htown and sign an extension i will be more than happy to get it down there.

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I think the sooner the Rockets acquire Dwight, the greater the chances we have at resigning him. If he comes at the trade deadline, chances are he will just live in a hotel for two months and leave for good when the season is over. On the other hand, if we get him before training camp starts, he will have developed a relationship with the organization, players and fans\city, which will help the rockets sign him long-term. Hannigan probably knows this and is trying to leverage it against Morey.

1 person likes this.
  3. spankz141

spankz141 Member

If Brossard is reporting this...it can only mean he is being used as pawn to increase what's being offered...in exchange Brossard gets exclusive on the trade when it happens!

The longer the magic wait...the lower his trade value gets. No team outside of Brooklyn would want to risk a bunch of picks and young players for 3 or 4 months of Howard.

call the bluff.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

That's what I thought sometimes.
    Maybe he wants to come to Houston but he is saying he doesn't want to so Orlando doesn't try to get more from us.

Do you think it would be to Orlando's advantage if he said he wanted to be in Houston?

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

In which Morey counters and says "Welp... you can wait until the deadline. I heard Anderson Varejao's name was being shopped around."

This situation is just one big crapshoot. It's entertaining due to the fact that we finally get some recognition after years of mediocrity and a year where Trevor Ariza was one of our go-to players. I just can't wait for it to be over.

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

There is no such thing as blacklist. An agent will do what is best for his player. Plen and simple. If he gets his player the best possible deal, he gets a percentage of it. A million/year more could mean 100K to him. This is business!

There aren't many "Dolans" in the league who see this as a kiddie game!

As long as Magic FO gets what's best for their franchise, they couldnt care less where Howard will end up. If Bobcats offer the best deal, DH would be dealt away. No doubt about it! At this time, it's not up to DH to decide where he wants to play. But after the expiration of his current contract and without signing an extension, only then can a FA DH decide where.

1 person likes this.
  7. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While I would understand with the history of the rockets why people would hate this idea but sign Greg Oden to a short term and health based contract showcase him and use him in the trade for Howard or Bynum

1 person likes this.
  8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Orlando should hold on to Howard. But they will have no idea if Howard will re-sign or not until he is a free agent, when he can maximize his pay day. So the option is not expiring vs. re-sign.

I see two scenarios for Orlando: 1) Howard's value at the deadline versus Howard's value now. 2) The gamble of re-signing Howard/watching him walk versus working out a sign and trade.

I think they should call Howard's bluff. See how much he likes that money versus how much he wants to leave.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

That is too much thinking and scheming for Dwight. Its obvious he is unable to formulate thoughts beyond "trade me to brooklyn"

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I knew it!!

Go a head Orlando keep your depreciating asset. We'll just end up getting Dwight on a discount on the trade deadline!

Orlando is playing with fire and about to get burned! :grin:

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

It's plain and simple. If they hold on to him until the trade deadline they ain't getting •••t!!!
    Atleast they will be lottery bound with that cast of clowns they have right now.

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah, teams make desperate moves with their superstars all the time at the All-Star break. :rolleyes:

You guys are fooling yourselves to think that they can't get a better offer between now and February. The desperation move would be to take the Rockets offer right now.

1 person likes this.
  13. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Yawn.

1 person likes this.
  14. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

teams not offering much for 40 game rentals...

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You my friend need to re-read what you just posted and ask yourself did I just post that?

So you are saying teams will be willing to give up more at the trade deadline where they will only be able to have Dwight for a few months as apposed to a whole year of him?

16. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

So ORL wants to wait till his value becomes almost like making him walk,
    bc by then he'll be worth an expiring and a throw in

17. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Which is.....NOTHING magic are bluffing and EsPN is begging for hi in their
    LA location!

18. conquistador#11

lol so true...it always comes back to brooklyn with these media biotches.

19. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Man, I ALREADY bought a Howard Rockets jersey!!

20. wolvdog316

wolvdog316 Member

I can't believe we are still talking about a player that can't hit his free throws, threw a tantrum to get his coach fired, to get traded, all so he could sign a one year, so he could THEN whine about not going to Brooklyn.

I guess I'm the minority. I don't see Dwight as a Superstar. Then again, this league only has about 5 superstars anyways.

The man, Dwight, has NO idea what he wants, NO idea where he wants to go, and NO clue how to be mature. What we SHOULD be talking about is how is his back? Is it fine? How's the rehabbing going?

Instead, the GM of Orlando, has created just enough of a circus that nobody is asking that. All we have heard of about the back was one report from the Nets where they were ok with it. Woopti Doo.

Frankly, I don't want him. I'll stick with the guys we have and top picks. These new guys can be molded, somewhat, in the image we want (Rockets). Dwight is not growing up anytime soon.

2 people like this.