1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number! Countdown to the PLAYOFFS..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Memphis 37 24 .607 8 ½
    Houston 35 26 .574 10 ½
    Denver 33 29 .532 13
    Utah 31 31 .500 15
    Portland 29 32 .475 16 ½

61 games down, 21 to go.

MAGIC NUMBER = 16

- 1 for each Rockets victory!
    - 1 for each loss by the 9th place team in the West!

2. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Last year when someone started this thread, Suns took the 8th spot the next day...

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Well, that's not happening this year!

4. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

The Rockets can beat Minny in a best of 7 series.

They might have a chance against the Lakers/Spurs to get out of the West.

If they get out of the West, I bet that they can beat the girls (whoever) from the East.:)

Unfortunately the girls from the East are all ugly.

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm just getting excited that the Rox are finally gonna go to the playoffs.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there is not that big a diffrence between 21 and 16.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Small asterisk though! We have to win the final game against Utah to win the tiebreaker if we end up with identical records.

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

After checking out the schedules of Utah and Portland (which IMO are the ONLY 2 teams that can push Rox out of the Playoffs right now), i have concluded that the ROX WILL make the Playoffs cuz their schedule is much easier than those 2 teams. Utah and Portland got some brutal tough TOUGH schedules. Seattle is 8 or 9 games behind Rox...so forget about them, they're done! But Rox still needs to take one game at a time and need to be careful and stay humble, cuz they have shown they still lose to some pathetic teams before...so who knows. But their schedule are much easier than those 2 teams...which means they will be in the Playoffs if they win games they're supposed to win.

Now i am hoping they hang on to either 7 or 6 spots cuz Minnesota or Lakers are going to take one of those 2 spots and will face ROX. That's my predictions!!!

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

In other words, if the Rockets finish out the year with a mediocre 11-10 record, Utah would have to go 16-4 or Portland would have to go 17-4 just to TIE us.

In other words, barring a total meltdown by the Rox COMBINED with a blistering finish by the Jazz/Blazers, we're in.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Well, what if I put it this way:

if the Rockets play less than .500 and win 10 of the remaining 21 games

then

Utah would have to go 15 and 5 for the rest of the season.

I don't think Utah is capable of playing .750 ball for the rest of the season. More importantly, I think we can play better than .500 ball.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Wow, you beat me to it!

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Utah lost tonight..

15?

edit: nevermind you had it right. we should sticky this thread, Go Rockets!!

#12 LongTimeFan, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  13. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be honest, I'm worrying more about not dropping to the 8th spot more than anything else. I mean, is getting swept by Sacramento any more plesant than the lottery? I want to actually have at least a little hope of getting out of the first round. In which case, I'd want SA or Minnesota.

14. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

great entry.. it will be fun to start counting down to the playoffs.. is there any number where we automatically clinch?

J

15. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I believe I was the one that started the magic number thread last year :confused: .

However, WE JUST BEAT MINNESOTA ON THE FREAKING ROAD.. HAVE SOME FAITH!!!

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Most like Minny will take the 2nd, and Lakers will take either 4th or 5th. With Kobe injured again, I don't see Lakers get into top three seeds. Either Spurs or Mavs will take 3rd. We are better off playing Minny. So 7th seed is the position we should target on.

17. boathouse

boathouse Member

As long as we don't have to play the Kings, we have a chance. If we play the Kings, we are done. I saw them play the other day with Webber back and they are scary.

18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Aren't the Utah Jazz just 4 1/2 games behind?

And isn't the Rockets' division record 5 -11 while the Utah Jazz have a 7 - 10 division record?

It's too early to count out the Jazz, or even Portland.

And is it true, that in the win against Minnesota, the Rockets just had two points?

A win is a win, yes, but can we win ten or twelve more?

19. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

reread this

20. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

IMO the only teams we have NO CHANCE of beating in a playoff series are the Mavs and the Spurs. we've proven time-and-again that we can beat the Lakers and the Wolves. the Kings are definitely the best team out there, but i think they're beatable. the Texas teams have us beat before tip-off of every game we play against them. they're in our heads, period. once again: IMO. thanks,d.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.