1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson's role on Espn/ABC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pocket Rockets, May 10, 2009.

1. Pocket Rockets

I realize magic was on TNT quite a few times prior to joining ESPN/ABC and always questioned why he was on if they showed a Lakers game on TNT. Now he is on ABC with the crew of jon barry, stu scott and mike wilbon.

The reason I question it is because he has a vested interest in the Lakers organization, therefore everyone, and i mean everyone, knows there will be some sort of biased opinions coming from him.

And sure enough he did it again after our game 4 win. He completely spoke on behalf of the laker organization (seemed like it at least) on a supposed nuetral national television post game show and spoke only on the subject of the Lakers. I wonder if he would say the same thing for the Cavs if the Lakers were without kobe and beat down the Cavs in a finals game? Personally, I find this hurts the integrity of ESPN and ABC. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4156830&categoryid=2378529

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Since when did ESPN have integrity? I personally don't think ESPN cares if Magic makes them look biased.

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

c'mon give the old man a break. he's got AIDS. let him say anything he wants to say...

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He was good today made some solid points about the Lakers and why the Rockets dominated them -- I thought he did a good job.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

1) He does not have AIDS. He is HIV Positive. (At least last time I checked)

2) Even if he did, it would not give him a license to say anything he wants to.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Magic being pro Lakers on ESPN. Like someone said, it's not like ESPN has too much integrity to begin with. Most folks who take sports seriously consider ESPN as entertainment only and get their real meal somewhere else. ESPN is for casual people who want to keep in touch with what's going on in sports. Unfortunately, ESPN gets even that wrong and that's why we have a lot of people walking around pretending to know a lot about sports based on crap that ESPN feeds. ESPN selective editing for the win!

6. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

I'd rather have HIV/AIDS and have the business empire he has :D

ESPN never has been "fair" they're always picking sides particularly with their NBA experts who get it wrong time and time again.

I remember them picking the Lakers to win the Finals, Portland defeating us, Lakers sweeping us, don't you have to get it right to be an "EXPERT"?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

oh stop it

TNT has two former rockets on their broadcast crew

the laker fans whine about them all the time and those fans look just as silly

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

But those 2 former rocket players are not showing respect to their former teams. ( except in teh last 2 weeks ).

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Umm...didn't Kenny pick us to win the title at the beginning of the year? And he's been praising us throughout the playoffs.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

with ifs and buts...

he did pick the trailblazers in the first round.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

absolutely but neither Kenny or Charles are a minority owner of a NBA team

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think KNOWING that Magic is a Lakers fan/former career long player/current minority owner is fine. I mean, it's a lot better than having so-called analysts who are pretending to be unbiased fake their basketball knowledge and just jock the favorites.

Everybody knows Magic is a Laker lover so as long as he's not trying to sound like an impartial observer, it's okay. Honesty and transparency my friends. That's what is most important.

1 person likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think its a big deal. JVG is obviously rooting for the Rockets, and I like him just fine.

14. Ashes

Ashes Member

I think the bigger question at hand is his butchering of the word "supposed."

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Totally. He may be the best player ever, but eloquent would not be even close to describe him at the round table. And like what was said, he works for the Lakers and occasionally stops by.
    People we should be worried about are those that get their paycheck for being LA homers: Doug Collins.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

jon barry had already covered the rockets part, and magic johnson went on to look at it from more of a lakers' perspective, and he said "we" put up a lousy effort and it was an embarrassment and all that (paraphrasing..).
    i think it made sense, or else it would be redundant. i like how they organized the analysis. jon barry talked about the rockets, and magic talked about the lakers.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, inevitably we have to bring honesty and authenticity into a discussion about ESPN analysts.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with it. Yes, Magic is pro-Lakers, but it's not a secret. Everyone knows Magic is a Laker.

But why do these analysts need to be completely objective, exactly? They are all giving opinions with different points of view. JVG obviously loves the Rockets.

19. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

It's one thing to have a former coach or player from a team that isn't on the payroll anymore, compared to someone who has a vested interest in a team as a minority owner.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude,

Kenny
    50% of clutchfans today do not know that he played on the Rockets

Chares
    90% of clutchfans do not know that he played on the Rockets or believed that he did