1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson: "We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I hate being that forum guy who says "I dont see the big deal". I HATE "that guy".

But if thats the entirety of their comments, I dont see how Jordan or Magic "crapped all over" the LeBosh Wade thing. Looks to me like they said they just woulda never thought of doing it cuz that wasnt their makeup.

I'd think Larry Bird would give a bigger demonstrative "Thats STUPID what they're doing" comment.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Not bashing anything. It's the most realistic assessment of the east. I think ur really overrating the Magic if you think they can beat Denver, Portland or Dallas in a series. Dwight Howard would need to average 25 & 12 which is definatley not going to happen. Vince Carter would need to be consistent which wont happen, and Jameer Nelson would need to dominate Billups, Kidd or Roy. That's a big NOT GONNA HAPPEN. The east sux. Anytime ur can be under 500. and make the playoffs ur conference is weak. Lebron got lucky making it to the finals.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

Or he can just....you know, not comment.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

refer to your sig ;)

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he was in a situation like lebron already, so what else was there for him to do.

i just think a lot of people are being really jealous and overly critical of lebron (partially b/c he was able to bring all this attention TO HIMSELF). i mean 10 million people did watch his stupid decision show that would last 5 seconds at most.

all lebron has to do is win. it's up to him to write his legacy, not anybody else.

6. npz

npz Member

5 non-playoff seasons in the last SIXTY. Recognize.

7. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

A former star having something critical to say about a current player?

SHOCKING

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Somehow I don't see deciding when to come out of college to calculate where you end up in the NBA the same as bolting from a pro team (that's near your hometown) that drafted you and invested so much in you and you were trying to win a ring for the past 6 years as apples to apples. That's just me though. I'm sure the general angle of trying to be on the most talent laden team is applicable, but at the end of the day Magic stayed with one pro team.

And legacy can be skewed with opinions from others, especially legendary peers. It's why the Rockets somehow have those stupid asterisks on their titles from certain circles because "Jordan was out" (even though on the 2nd one Jordan got ousted by the Magic in the playoffs).

So just how great Lebron's future legacy is going to be weighted against someone like Jordan, his comments, and his own legacy.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so lebron didn't invest much in the cavs? he gave them some of the most historic seasons in the history of the L and brought cleveland back on the map literally by himself. both sides benefited from each other.

again, it's up to lebron to write his own legacy. if he wants to be mentioned with the best, he will continue to play like the best, and start winning.

playing with wade shouldn't stop him from dominating the L like he has and continue to win MVPs like jordan did.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You bringing that up is superfluous to the point I was making in comparing Magic's pro career and Lebron's pro career and the perception of each's career.

Magic's legacy will be more revered in part simply for the small fact he was a Laker for his entire pro career. IMO.

And if anyone uses Michael's stint as a Wizard as a detraction to his legacy, then that person needs a Shaq dunk upside the head to snap him back to reality.

And if pundits and LeBron's own peers want to knock LBJ's legacy for bolting to join his superfriends, then they have every right to do so.

Pro sports, just like life, is a bit unfair at times. LeBron will carry that knock for the rest of his career, whether he (or his backers) like it or not.

11. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

He didnt do anything by himself. The organization, Gilber, Mike Brown and the players deserve credit too. He actually had good players around him in Cleveland. Your foolishly giving Lebron ALL the credit but downplay his failures when he losing. Cant have it both ways

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Michael Cooper winning DPOY keeps being brought up to show how Magic had all this help - the man only started 94 games in his 12 year career. If a bench player won DPOY nowadays it would be a complete joke. He absolutely made James Worthy as well.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There really is no difference. At the end of the day, the end result is that both players chose to play alongside great talent. While you may be ok with Magic's reasoning as to why and not ok with LeBron's, at the end of the the decision is still the same. If I steal for fun or I steal because I'm hungry, at the end of the day I still chose to steal.

Magic stayed with one pro team and I give him props for that, I guess. He never really had a reason to leave LA and he basically chose to be there (when he decided when to leave college). I really don't care that LeBron was drafted by the Cavs and that they invested so much into him. He didn't ask to be drafted there and he didn't have a choice as to where he played. The franchise basically doubled in value while he was there and he fulfilled his contractual obligation that he signed. He has the right to leave as a free agent just like they have the right to ship him off whenever they want, like we just did with David.

1 person likes this.
  15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

That is what all the KobeBLs did during years years he was absent a dominant post player and Tmac-ing in the 1st round (if his Lakers made it that far).

As best I can remember Lebron's teams have advanced every year after his rookie one.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most reasonable post here so far. Repped.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess sideshow bob is good, boobie gibson is good, mo williams as your 2nd best player is good? LMAO, Kobe had Odom who was 2x better than any Cavs player and he couldn't do anything. Treaded 0.500 until Bynum became a somewhat dominant force.

Being the cause of winning and not being the cause of losing aren't mutually exclusive. LBJ put up 29, 7.3, 8.6 this season. If they lose games what do you want him to do? Put up even more incredible numbers? :rolleyes: How about the other teammates start pulling their own weight, like what happened to Kobe and the Lakers this year?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can't stand hearing people like Magic and Air Jordan talk like that. They played in the era of the superstar and it's now the era of the super team. What's wrong with ganging up and trying to beat the Lakers or Celtics who have a few superstars themselves?

The Rockets have a great team when everyone is healthy. Bring on the best team and we'll play against that.

19. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

So let's see, these guys join forces because they want to win a championship, and they take less money to do so. How is that more about business than competitiveness?