1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson joins ESPN, Van Gundy gets deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JD2010, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JD2010

JD2010 Member

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/10/13/espn.announcements/index.html

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

awesome on both fronts. we get Magic off Inside the NBA where he was always the weakest link on the set (even if he occasionally had something to say) and JVG is sticking around broadcasting, which is even better news.

for one, i'm happy for jvg's eyes. he doesn't need those bags under them that come from all the stress he puts himself under in coaching. second, while i may not have liked him initially as our coach, he grew on me a lot and now it would feel weird to have him coach somewhere else. and third, he's the best color analyst in the business and he, breen, and mark jackson have Inside the NBA-level chemistry so i'm glad that wasn't broken up.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I'm glad Jeff's going to continue doing game analysis on TV. He's smart, brutally honest and funny. You don't get enough of that in sports broadcasting (at least not all in one package).

Coaching takes such a toll on him, this has to be the best move for his health too.

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Best commentator our there and the least biased. jvg is smart funny and charismatic. marc jackson is a jerk tho, i wish theyd get rid of him.

i wonder, can he opt out of this 5 year deal if offered a coaching job?

5. Asian Sensation

My thoughts exactly. Inside the NBA is best with EJ, Kenny, and Charles. It would suck to see JVG on another bench not only because he is a great analyst but he grew on me too.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I doubt it, based on this comment... "It was a very difficult decision to forego coaching for the next five years... I decided to make this long-term commitment to broadcasting"

7. RedRaiderRocket

Congrats JVG you're still my dawg!

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm happy for JVG. I know he loves coaching, but I'm not sure how healthy it was for him, physically and mentally. This way he's still close to the game he loves. Plus he has an exceptional talent as a commentator, so its great for NBA fans.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

At first I was like, MJ? Eww no. But you put the right perspective on it. Now I am good.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

So Magic finally is fed up with Kenny and Chucky.

It can't be a money move on Magic's part. I thought he is always busy and can't make the TNT set always. But looks like he wants his voice heard more often than what he got on TNT.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The best thing about this? A.) ESPN sucked hard compared to TNT anyways. B.) Can't wait for Charles to clown on Magic all season for leaving Inside the NBA.

12. Michael Phelps

ESPN just got worse, but still has some light when they resigned JVG but too bad he's on ABC most of the time.

13. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Why do they like Mark Jackson so much? JVG makes him look like such an idiot. Put in Jon Barry in there.

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I disagree. I think Mark & JVG have great chemistry probably the best team on TV.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wow. Though I like JVG/Mark Jackson's on air chemistry, a Jon Barry/JVG team would be phenomenal

As others stated, Inside the NBA wasn't as good when Magic was commentating...Kenny, Charles and Ernie is the perfect combination.

Which reminds me...can anyone think of a more terrible potential broadcasting combo than Pippen and Isiah?

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How about Pippen and Michael Richardson?

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Magic was by far the weakest when you compare him to Kenny and Charles.
    it takes Magic forever to get his point out. Charles and Kenny get their points on fast.

Webber was a better analyst than Magic. Magic is good when he starts laughing and saying 'like what charlz said'

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

ESPN/ABC (Disney) is the worst ever when it comes to NBA coverage...and is a ratings killer. If Fox, CBS, or NBC had it, they would hit it out of the park.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JVG's commentating is way more entertaining than his coaching. I'm glad he's locked up for 5 years at the booth. I like how he disses Mark Jackson. But I'd rather have Barry with JVG.

And yeah, I wish the NBA went back to NBC.

20. Asian Sensation

Clyde Drexler and Cynthia Cooper. I'd rather be deaf. :eek: