1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic and Nets discussing Dwight Howard trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockNRandy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

question.. does lopez agree to a S&T?

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The Rockets have a bunch of overachievers. Overachievers have, by definition, lower trade value in the eyes of other GMs, as they overachieve relative to public opinion. In addition, none of the Rockets players were high draft picks, highly paid, nor ever stars, so none of them are ever overrated. It's like those fantasy owners whose players are all overachieving- other owners are waiting for them to come crashing back down to earth any time now and revert back to the mean, and thus our Rockets have less perceived value than actual value. Although our players' actual aggregate value is a .500 ballclub, our players' perceived aggregate value around the league is probably around a .400 ballclub.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

But none of thosempicks would be valuable!!!! They would be like 25 - 30, we had three picks this year higher than what any of those future first will be... So if this happens I know something fishy Is going on!!

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lopez was picked 10th
    Humphries was picked 13th.

5. RockNRandy

RockNRandy Member

8M over the cap. The need more players so more money

Prolly be about 20M over the cap which is 45M in Luxury Tax Ramifications

$45M is a big check to write

I know I could not write a $45M check to the NBA just because I spent too much.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The issue is what they value Lopez and Humphries at and what contracts are given to these two. Not sure if I were the Magic, I wouldn't prefer to just rebuild rather than take on big contracts on not quite elite players.

But the Magic's owner is 85 years old, so he may not have the patience (or lifespan) to live through a complete rebuild.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Hard for this to make sense. If they take back Hedo, they'd have $75 mill to just 5 players.

Plis multiple first rounds that will be bottom 5? Tyat doesn't sound too appealing.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Marshon Brooks is a decent enough talent, but probably would be matched with any number of Rockets players. Will be curious to see what kind of contracts Lopez/Humphries get -- I'd imagine enough money to make them accept a sign and trade, but perhaps the 3rd year being non-guaranteed.

You can't trade multiple future first round picks if you don't have assurances that Dwight stays. A scenario where Dwight leaves likely cripples the roster, and sends the team into the tank without the benefit of high lotto talent.

9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Dwight, Deron, Joe Johnson, and Gerald Wallace is better than the old and no bench Celtics team that almost bounced the Heat in the playoffs. They will be better significantly at the center and point guard positions with good to very good wing players. Already writing off this potential team is ridiculous.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

From the CBA Salary Cap Faq

Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the 1982 trade mentioned above) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

11. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Funny how not long after Howard comes out and says he'd play for the rockets, they get into trade negotiations with the team hes wanted to be with all along. Seems like the magic may be trying to get more out of another team.

12. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

He is the seventh richest man from Russia and the 57th richest man in the world according to the 2012 Forbes listing with a fortune estimated at US$13.2 billion.

Mikhail Prokhorov

i guess for a billionaire this is peanuts...

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI

This is crazy.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

If it happens, Rockets can claim another 2nd place trophy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"So close! So so close! We thought he was ours! If he wasn't traded to New Jersey, he was ours!"

15. RockNRandy

RockNRandy Member

I don't think so,

Batter, Cole. And maybe get Ray Allen.

Joe Johnson is overrated. Good but ya.

Dwight Howard will kill Miami

But Brooklyn can't stop LeBron at the SF. And Brooklyn has no PF.

Just my opinion. Would be interesting to watch that's for sure.

16. RockNRandy

RockNRandy Member

I would not be surprised to see a 3 team trade that way Magic can dump salary and players and picks can be spread out.

And the only way it makes sense for the Magic if Nets do a S&T with Brooks and Humphries to the Magic

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The more I think about it the more im not believeing this! I swear if this nutjob in Orlando accepts this than he should be fired the next day! I could talk this guy out of a this deal that's how dumb it sounds!

Maybe I'm tired but I'm calling Dwight to Houston before the day Is over!!!

18. GPNHC56

GPNHC56 Member

In morey we trust (rolling eyes)

19. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

Screw it, make these trades & forget about Howard!

KLow, Scola & 1 of the 1st this year to LAL for Gasol
    KMartin & PPat plus a pick (Dallas protected) to Atl for JSmoove
    Bring back Gogi & Lee at whatever price
    Hopefully we have Asik

Gogi, Livingston, Luill
    Lee, Lamb
    Parsons, Morris
    JSmoove, White, DMo
    Gasol, Asik, Camby

Playoff Team for sure but maybe the best we can do unless Morey pulls of Gordon....

20. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Well thats that. We can finally move on.