1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic acquire Serge Ibaka

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Powerful athlete that is the few that can contest and blow Lebron James the way the King chases down and blocks other people. And then he can shoot the ball fairly well even from 3. You pay the man if you must.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't see how this works for Orlando unless they are determined to lock up Ibaka next summer.

For OKC, it might be good if they have a plan to shore up the PF position for this coming season.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I can see Oladipo playing the Harden type role off the bench, not sure how effective he'd be playing alongside Westbrook and Durant in the starting lineup (assuming he stays). Kind of surprised at this trade.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Yah but doubt he can do a better job than waiters

5. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

48 minutes of really good defense (at SG) between Oladipo and Roberson. Roberson can give Oladipo and KD (if he returns) a spell. Shrewd move by Presti.

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. I'm not sold on it being a slam-dunk for OKC. Not sold on Oladipo being a SG with WB/KD.

But, mainly I'm worried, because Ibaka was such a key to neutralizing the Spurs motion offense attacks from the weakside. So, not sold on trading such a key starter that beat the Spurs and had a 3-1 lead on GSW, just to get an 11th pick.

They'll need a PF plan in free agency.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

terribad trade for Orlando.. seriously, gifting OKC more solid pieces.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i think the Thunder are clearly the winners here, but i don't see how this trade helps them in the short period, at all...

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Thunder will pick up Ersan Ilyasova's option, I'm told. Only $400K of $8.4 mil guaranteed until July 1st. But OKC likes him.</p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/746179126617247744">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

This adds another perimeter player to match up with Warriors. Plus he can score. Replaces Roberson in crunch time. OKC robbed orlando.. have no clue why they had to give up so much for Ibaka..were there competing offers??

Kanter gets more playing time and they just gotta hope Sabonis can hold his own off the bench. Also, banking on Adams getting better.

12. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

This thread title shouldn't say the magic aquired ibaka. It should say wtf okc just got oladipo, ersan, and the 11th pick in the draft ibaka. Is this real life? is orlando this stupid?

13. malakas

malakas Member

Lose - Lose trade. (they exist same as win-win trades).
    Here's why
    OKC:
    Oladipo is as ball dominant as Westbrook and can't play off the ball. He's not a good shooter he's very incosistent but because he thinks in his mind that he's a star he has horrible shot selection. He's not a good defender either.
    Furthermore in 1 year he will be a RFA whose max will be 27 mil dollars. If OKC manages to do well he will demand to get paid.

Ersan I guess will help their bench? Very incosistent and not great D but for a bench of a contender he's going to help them.

Sabonis may end up being the best piece out of this when it's all said and done. On the other hand they picked McGary 2 years ago who is very similar player. So with this they wasted that pick.

Orlando:
    Orlando did it because of Vuc. Ibaka may be one of like 3 players who can work and try to hide Vuc. Also it can put Gordon in his natural position.
    But Ibaka will not only get paid a lot of money but may well not stay at all. So it's very possible if they don't make the playoffs they wasted 2 great assets for nothing.
    Also this may open the way for them keeping Fournier and giving him the max which is a very bad decision.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He can stretch the offense, good fit there

15. malakas

malakas Member

or Orlando may instead of paying Fournier go after Parsons. Their owners are tired of the lottery and want to win right now no matter the cost.

16. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

lmao wrong wrong wrong

Oladipo will be mostly used when westbrook is on the bench. But keep in mind he is fairly young in the league. He is a streaky shooter but I've seen him have 40+pts when just draining 3's when he's off the ball. And oladipo is a great defender just lmao if you think he isn't. Dude is raw talent and future superstar. If durant leaves okc which if i was him I wouldn't. But if he does, Oladipo will easily score 25+ a game. Oladipo is an exact replica of westbrook.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Just lmao if I think he isn't a good defender? Do you watch a lot of Magic games? Did you perhaps know that every single coach that the Magic had has been complaining about how his players suck and don't care about D? Have you seen how Oladipo doesnt' fight over screens loses his focus and lets the players pass by him?
    What because he can block some shots from time to time? That's not a good defender. A good defender is someone who knows how to rotate, switch is consistent doesn't take plays off,knows how to close to the wings in the frast break and communicates. He doesnt' do that. Just because he has the TOOLs to become a good defender is night and day from actually being a good defender.

Raw talent and future superstar for a guy in his 4rth year who had the keys for his team and is now 24 year old? At what age can we expect him to become...less raw? 30 perhaps? Maybe at 40 he will be well seasoned to become a superstar right? :rolleyes:

And do you really think that OKC traded Ibaka just for a 6th man off the bench when they have a huge hole at the 2?

1 person likes this.
  18. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

[youtube]dFXEg7xcOhI[/youtube]

/thread

19. malakas

malakas Member

yeah now everything is explained. Someone who thinks that defence is 5 minutes of highlights and has nothing to do with actual consistency focus and not missing rotations. Why do I bother arguing with someone with such an epidermic knowledge?

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

OKC always lacked a consistent 3rd scorer. Oladipo is more than capable to fill that void. Wow what a trade by Presti.

Vs. Warriors they can roll out this awesome lineup:
    WB, Oladipo, Roberson, KD, Adams. That lineup has defense AND offense. Lethal.