1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MAGAZINES: How long do you Keep them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MAGAZINES: How long do you Keep them? Before you throw them away.

My mom and Aunts have JET/EBONY Magazines from when I was kid
    [I have no idea why]

I know I have some that are over a year old
    because I think the knowledge in them is still useful
    [Health Magazines, Some Tech]

I figure you can keep stuff like Reader's Digest for ever
    cause it is almost like a mini book

BTW - Do you read any of them cover to cover?
    It is rare I do that with a magazine

Rocket River
    comic books don't count. . . THEY ARE LITERATURE!!!

2. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Unless it has a particular story or feature that I find either:

1. useful for the future
    2. covering a story/person I really enjoy/admire

I toss a magazine out as soon as I am done with it.

And I read all of my magazines cover to cover. But I only subscribe to trashy magazines like ESPN the Mag, FHM (free), Blender (free), Maxim (free)

I have several magazines saved from when I was a kid - that have any Houston athlete on the cover (mostly Sports Illustrateds and Beckett magazines)

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I used to just keep them. Now I toss them out when the new edition arrives. I wish there was a place in town that accepted them for recycling.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^your local library will accept them, 'Pun.
    Black? *I knew this already, but someone had to ask. :D
    Maybe they want to remember the good old days when Michael was still black? :confused:

SERIOUSLY, though...

Sports: Only the last two Espn the MAGazines and the last maybe three Sports Illustrated, unless they're the Swimsuit Edition or Special Cover ones, then I will keep them for a while or sell them on eBay.

Science: I keep the National Geographics of extreme information (Hurricanes, Earthquakes, etc.) forever and make my little girls read one or two articles.

Tech: I still have some PC World ones with tips on Word '97 tips. :D

Reader's Digest: We keep the last three months of this one, and give them to other peeps when we're done.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Good Lord...you people don't recycle your magazines.

Get with the program. This isn't 1985.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I usually keep all my Popular Photography magazines, but for Time and Newsweek, I toss them after I'm done reading them unless they have some articles in them that's worth keeping.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I always get rid of them after I'm done reading. The exception is Money magazine, which I've recently begun buying. I keep that for the advice in it.

8. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I'm bad with magazines...I still have April 2008 and after issues to read...I have Glamour, Cosmo, Women's Health, Fitness R&X, Latina and Allure.

I recently had to throw out all of issues I had piling up from last year. I will get with the recycling program or donate them to a library.

I just keep the Fitness magazines because they have exercises and diet tips.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You ever catch yourself looking at those old beauties of the week and go...oh wait...ewwww!!

Anyway, i don't really buy mags unless its something i think i could really use for a long time. If that's the case, i end up keeping it and reusing it (rereading) at a later time just like anything else i buy.

10. no_answer

no_answer Member

After I read them, I throw it away. I hate keeping crap laying around for no reason.

11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

I throw them away or give them to book stores. Unless it's a football draft magazine....I like to keep those and look back at them.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Most magazines we get we keep forever. Most of our magazines are cooking magazines (and now HBR too), which is relevant to my wife's work, so we keep them as reference material. We have almost a decade's worth of issues for some magazines.

Other magazines that find their way into our house -- the baby magazines, professional mags, tabloid junk, etc -- goes into the trash, usually before much in them has been read.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Funny that you mention this since I'm about to recycle a bunch of old magazines that was stacking up in my bathroom.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LMAO
    Hey some of those BACK IN THE DAY beauties
    I wonder what they look like now

Rocket River