1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

M. Night Shyamalan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by outlaw, Jul 18, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

I knew this thing was gonna be a fake.

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The "buried secret" that the Sci Fi Channel claims it uncovered about filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan is that there really is no secret.

The cable network, which has heavily promoted a three-hour documentary about Shyamalan, has admitted to lying about the show's content. Rather than an unauthorized expose about the "Signs" and "Sixth Sense" director, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan" -- airing Sunday night (July 18) -- is instead a "part-fact and part-fiction" mockumentary, Sci Fi president Bonnie Hammer says.

"Night was part of the creation from the beginning," Hammer tells the AP. "Perhaps we might have taken the guerilla [marketing] campaign one step too far."

"Buried Secret" is tied to the release of Shyamalan's latest movie, "The Village." In publicizing the special Sci Fi claimed that filmmakers Nathaniel Kahn ("My Architect") and Callum Greene ("Lost in Translation") started out to do a standard making-of film, but as they started to dig into Shyamalan's life, the director cut off their access.

They plowed ahead anyway, the story went, and discovered a secret about Shyamalan's past -- a drowning he witnessed as a child -- that provided the impetus for his moody, spooky filmmaking.

A number of media outlets (Zap2it.com included) reported on the story, but Hammer admitted Friday (July 16) that it was false. Hammer says she takes responsibility for the hoax.

A spokeswoman for NBC, which recently took control of the Sci Fi Channel in its merger with Universal, says the "Buried Secret" campaign "is not consistent with our policy. ... We would never intend to offend the public or the press and value our relationship with both."

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|89435|1|,00.html

2. drapg

drapg Member

Aargh... What a waste of TiVo hours!

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They couldn't have taken the marketing all THAT far. This is the first I have heard of this.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Bonnie Hammer is pure evil.

Only an agent of Satan would cancel Farscape and replace it with Tremors: the Series.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I tuned in, thought some of the stuff was way too freaky to be real. Like when Johnny Depp said he didn't do Signs because of quotes he had to recite, then Adrian Brody saying the same quotes...that's what tipped me off.

*switches over to The Dead Zone*

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I thought it was a good mockumentary, although a little over the top, especially with the ghosts and the constant closeups to that creepy kids drawing (not to mention the sound failing when Night got MAD). about an hour into it, I knew Night was just orchestrating the whole thing to get more interest into his movies, and they did a fine job doing so. Did anyone really think that a documentary on the SciFi channel would do otherwise?

7. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

You know that Farscape is returning soon.

It is a mini series called:

Farscape
    The peacekeeper Wars

8. Locke

Locke Member

Yeah, but that doesnt make up for cancelling the series, and then not replaying it. I still havent seen the last 5 episodes of the final season bc I was overseas when they aired them.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i freaking love this guy.