1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Luther Head PG "Experiment" - Enough Already

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oschadha, Nov 24, 2007.

1. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Well it's not really an experiment when you know the outcome going in - DISASTER. Even JVG thought it was "interesting" to see Luther manning the 1 in the 4th. I don't see how anyone in upper management (including Morey) can tolerate such a coaching decision. As a fan, it is just frustrating as hell to watch. This crap should have been resolved in the preseason.

2. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Luther should spot up shoot. NOTHING ELSE.

No court vision. Sort of a point guard pre-requisite.

3. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Us fans are morons. We don't see all the intangibles when Head is running the point. Like his ineffective defense. Like his over dribbling. Like his many many turnovers. Like his stupidity by always fouling the jumpshooter.

Oh, wait, those are tangibles.

4. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

Why not let Luther play PG? Anyway, our pgs can't create shots for others, they shoot at very poor percentage, our opponets keeping doubling yao, leaving them wide open. Luther is a way better 3point shooter than RA. His entry pass to yao is at least not worse than ra, and also he cuts to the paint effectively( after catching yao's pass).

For now, I think playing luther as a pg maybe the only solution for us. And I am very serious here.

His +/- record for tonight's game is +5...

5. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

luther should spot up and shoot,mike james shoot spot up and shoot.These two need to get one on one dribbling out of their heads and just spread the D.

Rafer should be a emergency situation player

We need a point guard that constantly put pressure on the defense offensively.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

the title should read "Luther Head Experiment - Enough Already."

I f*cking hate Luther Head - the poster boy for what is wrong with Rockets' role players since '96.

7. magicwind

magicwind Member

Don't be mean to little Luther, he's doing his best, just not on a right position. If he were playing C, he'd have less turnovers and missed shots.

8. watashi315

watashi315 Member

One quality of a PG should be his ability to pass the ball...something Luther clearly does not have.

9. thesaint

thesaint Member

Put in Brooks or Francis already.....atleast they can penetrate n finish n brooks can shoot from outside.

10. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

woah woah woah woah WOAH

you mean can't just tell an NBA player who is fast and undersized to become PG and start dribbling? you mean being a PG is a skill that takes a lifetime to learn?

Ah screw it, why didn't we just throw Novak out there into the center position since he was 6'10, teach him a couple post moves, and in no time he should be abusing people like shaq.

11. tomjc

tomjc Member

I think the problem with the rockets, is that
    1) the players do not have a set of defined roles (every player in San Antonio, Dallas knows what his role is)
    2) the offensive set tempo is not decided on (RA is still experimenting with different sets with different rotation minutes)

There is a way to solve this problem. Run the starting 5 on a 1/2 court set
    PG Rafer Alston (If he starts jacking up 3's, put in Francis)
    SG T-Mac
    C Yao Ming
    SF Bonzi Wells (better post player in the 1/2 court set)
    PF Shane Battier (to spread the floor)

Then have the 2nd line to rest Yao + T-Mac, go small and run and gun
    PG Mike James
    SG Luther Head
    C Lois Scola
    SF Kirk Snyder
    PF Shane Battier

The reason I have Scola not start for the potential drop in scoring.

The problem the rockets are having is having their lineup adjusting to the other team. You have to find your own identity or else you're just trying to stop the bleeding from your opponents in different ways than trying to shed blood yourself.

12. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

lmao..Shane playing PF in both of your units. Interesting...

13. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

QUOTED FOR TRUTH..

thecabbage, we obviously disagree on quite a few things, but I have to say that I am 100% with you on this one. I think Luther Head shouldn't play period. he is just one horrible basketball player. the problem is, too many superficial fans love Luther Head because all they look at is his "clutch" shooting, but they neglect every single other aspect of his game, which is absolutely NOTHING.. heck, he doesn't even shoot the 3 that well anymore..

I've been a Luther hater since day 1, never liked that guy, bashed a couple of times on this board, and I totally got burned by all those blinded fans who kept citing his "clutchness" and his "accurate shooting", while forgetting about his horrible defense, horrible decision making, horrible passing, horrible ball handling, and horrible basketball IQ. but they kept saying "oh, he's a keeper, he will work on those stuff".. how in god's name is he a keeper if he can only do 1 thing INCONSISTENTLY and that's shooting the 3? my little brother can hit the 3 consistently, does that make him an NBA player?

I just don't want to see Luther Head on the court not even for a single minute, he should be buried on the end of the bench or traded away. this guy actually has some trade value because people look @ his deceiving 3 points % from last year and don't really pay attention to his major flaws.. package his a$$ with Alston for a real NBA player already.. :mad:

14. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

I think Luis proved himself to be this teams future power forward today.

And don't you just love it when shane gets torched for 31 and brings NOTHING ELSE TO THE TABLE but still plays 37 minutes AKA MORE THE YAO.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Wade is really good, and Shane isn't responsible for all those 31 points. For the most part, he did a pretty good job defending him.

And, who would you have rather seen in place of him if you think he played too much? Bonzi Wells has been terrible for several games. Perhaps you think a small lineup would have served us better?

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

don't even go there man, please, Shane is one of the few people doing exactly what they're supposed to do..

the guy wen't 3-7 from 3-point land for 9 points, he did a good job on DWade, holding him to 11-24 from the field (which is low for a guy that gets most of his points around the basket). Shane got a couple (actually 3) really tough calls but what's new? Wade always gets those phantom fouls called.. but overall, I just think is absolutely great..

what i don't get is why doesn't Adelman run more plays for Shane? he got that sweet post up move where he backs up the defender then shoots a left-handed baby-hook at a very high percentage, I think we should go to that more especially when playing smaller guys (Wade for example)..

man, Rick needs to do something and quick!, I am just sick of seeing Head and Alston on the floor.. :mad:

17. tomjc

tomjc Member

You can't win games with just defense, you need to outscore your opponents. Chuck Hayes is like the shortest PF in the NBA not to mention his 1 missed layup every game.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I would hope we're shopping him and exploring his value at this point.

19. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

I agree I am being crazy and just making noise after the loss, but please, do not run more plays for Shane. He needs to seize control himself and start contributing offensively. But yeah Wade is Wade.

Yeah Alston needs to get off the floor, but no one can bring it up as easily as he can, and I loved head before the season started but I think Aldeman has him lost right now, he'll find his nitch.

20. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Head was perfect in JVG's system. He just sat there and shot wide open 3 pt shots. That's his game.

This motion offense thing though.... he makes the occasional good play (I hope to God he can seeing as he is an NBA player) but they are only about 1/2 as many as the absolutely horrible plays he makes, most of which result in turnovers.