1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luol Deng traded to Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They're not rebuilding, they're sucking this year and going for melo next year

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Perhaps. My only question is, was there a better deal on the table for Chicago?

Remember, this move is likely a prelude to a fire-sale that will leave the bulls tanking. I cannot think of another scenario where Chicago could slash this much salary (with or without any salary coming back) AND attain valuable assets.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, if they are tanking, it makes sense.

If they stay pat and just did this to get under tax, save some money and pick up a mid 1st pick (assuming they even get it)... that would be pretty sad.

Even if they'd have to overpay Deng by a few mil, that's not too bad. They'd have Rose, Butler, Deng, Mirotic, Gibson, Noah, two lottery or mid-round 2014 rookies (their own and Charlotte's). All of that while being under tax. That's a lot of talent.
    Of course, if Rose doesn't fully recover, that team is screwed, but they are screwed anyway if Rose doesn't recover.

So hopefully they are either looking to tank and targeting high lottery this year, or looking to drop more salary and targeting Melo (or at least someone like Lance Stephenson).
    They need to come out with a good player out of this one way or the other, because a mid round pick for an all star isn't a good move for them by itself, IMO.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Agreed. Kudos to the Cavs for having the gall to sign Bynum and utilize him like the asset, he is.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rose is really injured and chi is tanking

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How so?

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You don't tank for no.10 pick. I think they need more moves to truly tank this year.

Not sure what "Rose is really injured" means. I think he's out for the year, unless there were some news otherwise.

8. N/A

N/A Member

well, so much for Lin/Asik trade to Chi/Atl

9. Asian Sensation

Really injured as in not just out for this year but he may never be the same player ever again.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

By tanking I mean they are in the 6th seed right now and they just traded there good players just to lose.

Rose is really injured I mean 2 yrs recovery at least. I think they could even be done with him instead of the other way around.

And Thibs has a history of clashes with management.

11. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

of course but they're committed to signing him, might as well do it now and get him acclimated with Kyrie.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Oh I see, fair enough. I think they'll need more moves if they want to tank in this East. There are so many terrible teams this year. I think Thibodeau + Butler/Noah/Gibson/Boozer with a few other decent rotation players is still enough to end up around no.10 pick.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

After I looked the standings , Utah Jazz has a chance in the playoffs.
    They are going to have to fire Thibs to tank good.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Someone will pay Deng 15M+...after all, he went to Duke, and everybody that goes to Duke gets overpaid. (You do the research, it's truth to me at this point as much as Spurs-can't-win-in-even-years.)

But yeah, I'm looking at Detroit, Milwaukee, Sacramento, New Orleans, Minnesota, Cleveland...I mean, there's still so many poorly run teams out there! As much as journalists are talking about how GM's these days are more stats-friendly than before, most of them still don't have any measure of restraint.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

HOU was never a good match for a Deng trade. To get Deng you need to trade at least one of Lin and Asik. Chicago's owner is cheap and cares about the ballon payment. Also, if Chicago is trading Deng, it wants to preserve the cap flexibility that can potentially come with amnestying Boozer. So, they likely didn't want any 2014-15 money back at all.

From HOU's perspective, if they get a big 2014 expiring back for one of Lin and Asik, it is only useful for cap room purpose if they get rid of both of them. Also, even if they do get rid of both Lin and Asik, there really isn't too many guys they can realistically chase. The restricted guys are nearly impossible to get due to matching rights. The unrestricted top guys (Melo, Bosh, Lebron) need to take less than their max in order to sign with HOU.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Luck out with younger guys under the radar but more polished than Covington, Canaan

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Trading Deng isn't rebuilding. They're just fastracking Jimmy Butler's role on the team.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great deal for the cave playoff run.

bulls needed to get something for deng before he walked this summer... plus when they waive bynum they save money this year.

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I see what you are saying but the counter argument is that you will pay him over 10mil a year, he costs a decent amount of picks and you hurt yourself in this draft where you could have picked up a wing player.

20. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Why is CasaDolce even here?