1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luol Deng traded to Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Jan 6, 2014.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Holy...
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have been told Luol Deng's reps wanted $15-16 million/season. Trade now gives Bulls time to waive Bynum before his deal is full guaranteed.</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/statuses/420445783196831744">January 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Feel the same. Even for Dion Waiters. (bench guy at the 2) or Varejao.
    If they intend to retain the services of Luol, then it is a must to acquire Asik.

3. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I mean now we get to ask the question if Bynum wants to come here for vet minimum.

Considering where we were 2 summers ago, it would be somewhat unbelievable if we had both Bynum AND Howard on the roster. (not that I am advocating)

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man i bet chicago fans are upset about this one now that i think about it.

Deng has been a Bull for 10 years and has provided outstanding play every year, now Rose is injured and they traded Deng for peanuts.

Only positive left on the bulls is Noah and Butler, everybody else is pretty much garbage in there current situation. Whats even worse Noah is already 28 and needs to be playing for a contender, he might go next.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought Bynum was a lock for Clippers or the Heat when he gets waived.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about keeping Asik. We have 2 former elite Centers who are pouting riding the pine. :)

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

More trades coming?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Not to overwhelm you, but source assures this is not likely <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cavs&amp;src=hash">#Cavs</a>' nor <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bulls&amp;src=hash">#Bulls</a>' final trade of yr. But let's just focus on Luol Deng for now.</p>&mdash; Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/statuses/420439456781316096">January 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I disagree, Chi fans will be upset until they realize they get a shot at drafting Simeon's Jabari Parker. Dude is NBA ready and will be a force with Rose, Noah and Butler.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Isn't amico the idiot one

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

Amick, not Amico, is the legit one.

12. Doktor Mndbndr

Exactly. Did Cleveland agree with Deng in principle on a contract extension, with dollar amount specified? Otherwise, this is a risky move.

If Deng wants more than $10 million a year, Cleveland is hardly getting a great deal (although it depends on how much more he wants).

13. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Psshhh...pass on that. We still gotta pay Parsons.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This should open up more minutes for Tony Snell and give them more incentive to develop him. He's stepped up in Deng/Butler's absence earlier this season... I think he could be a decent piece for them in the coming years.

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

LOL You're correct....I think. I always get confused with their names. I'll be more careful not post this idiot's tweet next time!

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Meh, they get a distant mid round 1st basically. Not that amazing. Not to mention that if Sacramento doesn't stop being terrible for 3 more years besides this season, that pick turns into a 2nd rounder.

Other than that, the right to swap in 2015 is likely near worthless. Will Chicago be that good next year? Very rusty Rose, no Deng, some new additions. Maybe they move up a few spots, or maybe not at all.

And they get a couple late 2nd rounders as sweeteners.

If they were sure they weren't going to re-sign Deng, then fair enough. If they plan to make more trades and truly tank or get lots of cap space and target Melo, then also fair enough.

Otherwise, this looks like a very Sarver-esque cash saving move.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Oh yeah. don't forget that Chicago has Nikola Mirotic waiting to come in once Boozer gets amnestied this summer.

2 yrs after a foreign player is drafted, he is no longer subject to the rookie scale. This is big for Mirotic as he is currently making well above that mark. If he were to come in Summer 2014, the Bulls would be able to afford his salary (MLE?) + buyout (estimated $3mill). All, but 600K of the buyout will be applied to the bulls' team salary.

Add in the prospect of re-signing Hinrich, and you can see why they only offered Deng 3yr/$30mill. So, yeah, I don't think they were banking on re-signing Deng

All in all, 2014-15 squad could look like this:

Rose/Augustin
    Butler/Dunleavy
    Draft pick?
    Mirotic/Gibson
    Noah/Nazr

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Talk about lowballing. 2 time all star in his prime, good year, 3/30?

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

If Bulls are tanking, I hope they don't trade Noah to the Thunder (or even NOH). That would be devastating to the rest of teams from WC.

Noah, KD, RW0, and Ibaka are a scary lineup for the foreseeable future.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yeah, but that was going to happen regardless.