1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lunch with Jeff Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 23, 2012.

1. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

lesbian ???

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There was undoubtedly some impatience in VSpan. After all, we practically begged the guy to come over here and play for us and don't be surprised if CD and JVG led him to believe he would possibly start or at the very least play an extremely prominent role on that Rox team to get him over here. So, sure he was somewhat impatient. Wouldn't you be when you are backing up a point guard that can't hardly shoot 35%, can't finish at the rim, does not start the fast break, does not get easy buckets for the team, and was not a creator but rather a spot up jump shooter and a poor one at that????

Combine VSpan's impatience with JVG's impatience and intolerance of rookie mistakes and you have the disaster that followed. JVG would have to lie to deny that he had a huge part to play in VSpan wanting to leave the NBA and go home.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the fact that a few partizans are still clinging to the Spanoulis mythos gives me faith in the old gods.

Face it kids - your neck-haired Hellenic savior was a false idol. That much is certain.

The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can stop masturbating to Cheetarah from Thundercats.

And then we will all be better off.

1 person likes this.
  4. jopatmc

Gotta keep the record straight SamFisher. It was VSPAN or RAFER!!!! VSPAN or RAFER!!!

It is etched in my memory forever, watching every opponent we faced simply overplay everybody but sag off Rafer knowing the guy couldn't shoot to save his life and couldn't finish at the rim to save his life. It was game after game after sorry game after sorry game of our teams battling down to the wire only to watch the opponent let Rafer jack it up and clunk it.

And VSPAN sat on the bench watching. And we all sat there watching.

You'd have to be an idiot to say that Rafer deserved 35 MPG while VSpan didn't deserve a shot. A total idiot.

Van Gundy screwed that up and probably the main thing that cost him his job was his unwillingness to develop young talent. He's always talking about rookies and young players get a coach fired but the other side of the coin is not developing the talent that is handed to you will get you fired too.

Having said all that, he's an extremely likable guy....although too stubborn. And I think he is hillarious on TV. Those ESPN commercials where him and the crew are riding around in the motor home are some of the funniest commercials ever. I would laugh at all his funny candor but I sure wouldn't lob him creampuffs. If he's gonna bring up VSPAN, he'd better be ready to try to explain Rafer.

#84 jopatmc, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Clutch hadn't gone, you were my second choice....

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He got his shot, he was in the rotation for about 6 weeks, and he responded with a subhuman 5.4 player efficiency rating...and highlight films of getting destroyed off the dribble by the Kyle Korvers of the universe.

He was the worst player on the team, by far, and that included a burned out Scott Padgett, a rookie Steve Novak, and a morbidly obese Bonzi Wells, and John Lucas III - and they crushed him, producivity wise.

Not sure if you comprehend how bad that is, but it's actually one of his highlights. Rafer was awful that year - but Spanoulis really was that bad, and he was even worse in practice (I have an infamous photo showing this...don't make me post it again).

Seriously - go to youtube, pull up some 'cats, and grab some vaseline.

You'll thank me manana.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Clutch, don't Almu us...

Spill the rest, por fayver! You can even put "****'s" so DD's kids won't know what you're talking about.

8. jopatmc

Develop Sam, develop.

VSpan's career is the unproving of the irrational thought that he wasn't going to get better and couldn't help us.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Clutch, that was great! Major props to bobrek and Mattj. I'm sure what you aren't able to share is priceless.

Guys, please let the V-Mac nonsense die. Let's keep it light and focused on the lunch.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome Clutch!
    Some of us remember the rockHEAD rule!:grin:

So who's next? Rick Adelman? Dream?

11. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Clutch needs to release a tell-all book

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's Clutch's prerogative! He's the Bobby Brown of Clutchfans, while everyone else is Bel Biv Devoe

13. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Whoa, lets not get a head of ourselves. Leave Cheetarah and our masturbatory habits out of this.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I saw Mo Taylor at Edwards on 59 two Sundays ago, so I'm curious if that's also where JVG goes.

By the way, Mo was at the concessions counter.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Shake my head at Spanoulis throwing bounce passes to Yao and looking at Yao like he is dumb. Yao should have said "What the f*** are you doing? I am up here."

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow! I'm crazy jealous. Sounds like a blast. Thanks for sharing. Although highly unlikely, I would not be opposed to JVG returning as coach one day.

17. Classic

Classic Member

No need to go r****d. I said wish. Obviously not gonna happen.

18. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Nice story.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

just great stuff Clutch, well deserved