1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Walton to join Josh Pastner and U Memphis asst coaching staff...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Aug 23, 2011.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"for the forseeable future"- during the lockout.

Luke Walton will join his fellow Arizona alum from the Lute Olsen days instead of collecting a giant paycheck from the Lakers. for Walton- talk about humbling.

for Pastner- that's pretty creative as he just hired Damn Stoudamire on his full time staff...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...18/pastner-gets-inventive-with-assistants-job

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oZ2OaT2nCqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. izeroi

izeroi Member

That Damn Stoudamire, what a great player.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Smart move, very smart. And anything that gets a player a steady paycheck during the lockout steals a little more leverage from the owners.

Overall, I agree with the owners stance...but I despise the "starve them out" tactic and they're also playing extreme hardball - not even attempting to find an acceptable compromise for all involved.

It will be interesting to watch....because more than a few owners have major financial obligations that did not go away during the lockout. No payroll, but they've still got bills to pay.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm surprised more colleges wouldn't try this. UT could definitely win some recruits with Durant walking through their door.

5. gambingo

gambingo Member

Is this the same guy that was on the cruise with Luke and R. Jefferson?

6. across110thstreet

who, Memphis University Coach Pastner?

in short , no.

were you interested in hooking up with those guys?

7. gambingo

gambingo Member

uh....no, i just thought i saw him in that cruise pic ppl were posting on here a while back:rolleyes:

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I agree it's smart for Walton given that he's at the end of his career with eyes on a coaching gig. But I don't think it's giving them much leverage at all. It would be leverage if their salaries weren't more than an order of magnitude off. I don't think owners are quaking about players foregoing salaries in the millions for salaries as assistant coaches, interns, or home depot employees. At least playing in Europe or Asia (if you can parlay the exposure into more sponsorships) can come closer.

The only way the owners can credibly signal that they really are hurting is to say, "look, the existing CBA is so bad that we're willing to not take any revenue, hurt our brand, and lose future fans." Taking a deal without playing hardball wouldn't get them anywhere near what they claim they need. You cut a deal before the season and you're likely not getting everything you can get from the players, given that they're probably facing more acute liquidity issues (See West, Delonte).

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Pastner is a Kingwood High School product, he was a senior when I was a freshman there and his dad was coach.

Everyone knew he would be a coach someday, he was writing his own newsletter at 13 years old scouting Houston area high school players. All the local coaches read it.

10. across110thstreet

yeah Pastner is a bit of a legend in the 'Wood. I always wonder if he will move up to coach in the NBA, as he has worked with plenty of future stars at Arizona and Memphis.

he seems to be the kind of coach that prefers developing young talent vs. dealing with egos...

you keep talking about that cruise pic!

11. gambingo

gambingo Member

uh.....no. I ask a question and got an answer and question in response, so i simply answered your question:rolleyes:......ok im gay

12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Commodore, I too was freshman when he was a Senior. I'm class 00, he was 96. There is a good chance we know each other.