1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola's Left Hand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by user, Oct 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not true. Against Boston, he was able to score off drives a couple times.

2. user

user Member

To those of you who bash threads : stop whining/complaining. If you dont like a thread, then dont contribute to it, dont "bump" it. Coming on to a thread and saying that this thread is lame, or it is whining, etc. is just pointless. I am sure you have something more productive to do with your time.

To those of you who contribute intelligent thoughts/opinions, it is very much appreciated.

The point of this thread is simple, last year against the Jazz, the only way Scola could score was off a pass from Tmac, or random hustle plays. His finishing was HORRIBLE, because the Jazz cut off his right side. It was blatantly obvious. My comment on "dribbling" was more of a sarcastic comment regarding Scola's lack of a left.

Lastly, this is NOT a Landry vs. Scola thread.

I agree, if Artest starts, and I am assuming he will, Landry is a much better option. Granted, he does not possess post moves, but he does rebound, he does hustle, he does defend, and he can FINISH and hit open jumpers. He is a much better fit.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I remember that specific play and Bull talking about him going to his left.

4. Landlord Landry

what a lame reply.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Starting 5

Rafer
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

6th man Artest
    7th man Mandry

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ron and Carl are probably my fav 2 players on the team at the moment and I still want them off the bench.

The starters have good chemistry, and just the right balance of scoring, rebounding and D.

Then you bring in those 2 beasts to dominate the 2nd unit.

We'll just wear teams down and out.

6. durvasa

Man, what the hell is wrong with Scola? He's looked bad all preseason, and this game he was downright horrific. This is the type of team he should be thriving against.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He kept taking mid range jumpers from the corners, albeit he was always open, that is definatley not his strong point. They only ran one or two post up plays which is where his true strengths lie and he immediatley passed back out after the dump in to wide open teamates on the three point line.

I think without Yao out there to absorb the opposing teams biggest defender, Scola was inneffective, having to play against taller more imposing defenders. I would'nt worry too much about him. Doesn't seem like he meshes well with the small ball line up.

8. durvasa

That's too bad, because he was supposed to be the primary backup C for us ... at least until (if) we sign Mutombo

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

you sir are very ignorant to say the least, take a glance at ricky rubio, jose cauldron and countless others that can dribble just fine and AREN'T from the US. dont forget dream as well, you don't think he was born in the USA do you? god your posts are so moronic.

i think scola uses what ever he has in his arsenal to score efficiently and not to mention his amazing foot work, as people have stated earlier, you know he's going to head to his right but teams can't really stop him regardless. if you're going to use the playoffs as an example you have to remember outside of tracy last year you didnt really have else to rely to and after you shut tracy down, or at least limit his contributions to the team (rebs/assists/points/etc), you can't really focus your offense through scola. sure he's a great player in his own right but again he's still a new to the league.

/end rant

10. larsv8

Dorsey ??

11. durvasa

If Scola tanks for whatever reason, then we may have to use the rookie. But Morey has said during training camp that he didn't expect Dorsey to play much this year.

12. larsv8

I don't see how we can afford not too, we are so small when Yao isn't out there.

13. DPballer

DPballer Member

I've heard conflicting things on this. I remember after the draft he was saying how Donte Greene is for the future, while a great defensive player like Dorsey (repeatedly called him the best defender in college basketball last year) can help us immediately.

If Scola is going to start at PF and then backup Yao, how many minutes are we talking about with him? I do not want to ware him out.

14. user

user Member

What is the point of even coming on to write this? Get a life.

If Artest comes off the bench, Scola would be better off, as his passing is better than Landry, and his overall IQ is superior. Also, with Shane spreading the court, Scola could operate down low. However, we have to presume Artest is starting as Battier is injured, so Landry should get the nod.

I am not saying Scola has one hand, I am saying if he could develop his left, he would be much more effective, he could not score against Boozer last year, and Boozer has horrible defense.

15. DPballer

DPballer Member

The reason Scola struggles against the Jazz was more about his mentality to scoring than what hand he uses to handle his balls. I remember countless times where he put up a wild shot instead of going into the contact and drawing the foul. Granted, he was struggling from the line too. But with his talented footwork and repertoire of fakes and other moves, he should be going to the FT line much more often.

And lets not forget it was just his first year in the NBA. His first playoff series. His first experience against the Jazz. A very disturbing one I imagine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4-Jq2YTmM8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4-Jq2YTmM8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:mad: :eek: :mad:

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't see how it's possible that scola gets worse. i treat him as a veteran, kinda like how i look past artest also looking like crap.

when the games count and we have a real rotation then scola will most likely outperform what he did last season, which was pretty impressive. it's kind of silly to worry about it now.

17. robby_33

robby_33 Member

dude, every shot of Luis' in that highlight is right-handed, or a dunk...
    It's not important though, seriously.
    It's important to develop your off-hand to be capable in games, but when you are an NBA level post player.. being that fr**gin good with your right is bloody good enough!!!

I'd challenge ANYONE on the BBS to think about it logically, if you went 1-on-1 with Scola, but he could only use his left... HE WOULD DESTROY ANYBODY! lol :mad: :D

18. robby_33

robby_33 Member

aussie, i friggin LOVE that nick for Landry.. "Mandry" that is a classic, i'd swear I haven't heard that used before, did u come up with it??

your post = me 95% the same, just MY feeling is have Artest start, Batman 6th man.

yet, over the course of the game I would expect Ron & Shane to play even minutes.

19. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

As in he had the ball and he just went past his guy? Interesting.

In any case, its not a consistent move (as in, he can't use it all the time). If he had the ability to do that 4-5 times a game he would be averaging 15 a game. He'd basically be Shawn Marion with a little less range.

20. diegot143

diegot143 Member

Give the dude a break. He came off the olympics as probably the second best player on the olympics. He gave his heart and soul in the olympics and has taken time off. He is rusty now, but can you blame him. Its a preseason game against the Grizzlies what do you expect?? We saw how against the Celtics he stepped it up. Luis is very smart and knows that these games dont really matter. He knows how to step it up when it matters and if you dont think so look what he did in the Olympics when it did matter. Luis is going to be great this year you just watch. You scrubs need to quit judging veteran players in preseason. you can judge the guys trying to make the team team because they are giving it their all. But Scola is not. So give the dude a break.