1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola's contract value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, May 29, 2009.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

He's in the FIRST legit PF in 10+ since Charles Barkley era.

Remember how we went through the painful years of Eddie Griffin, Juwan Howard, Clarence Weatherspoon and Ryan Bowen? We need to keep this guy unless we get somebody MUCH BETTER in return.

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Fixed

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No need. Here's the Collective Bargaining Agreement posted on the NBA Players Association website. Presumably, it's the same copy accessible to your "nba guy."

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles.php

Go to Article XI: Free Agency

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XI.php

Section 4(b) states as follows:
    (emphasis added). The quote section says exactly what Larry Coon's FAQ says.

By the way, if you go to CBA FAQ section of the NBAPA Website, guess what they link you to?

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_faq.php

It would seem strange if the the NBAPA is linking their audience (probably players and agents, no?) an inaccurate version of the FAQ.

You are welcome.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No because it's unnecessary to do so in order to come to the obvious conclusion that Bosh is a a vastly superior player.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

6. SamFisher

I'm not going to click because it's not necessary to come to the conclusion that Bosh is the vastly superior player. I don't know what your link says, because even if it tips in favor of Scola, I do know Yao used to get owned by Eduardo Najera, but I harbored no illusions as to who was a better player.

Edit: i did click it anyway. Surprise.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for getting my back, Carl.

How many times do I have to be vindicated before people stop arguing with me when I post factual statements? I readily admit when I am unsure of something. It's as if my low post count (over 10 years) means that I am not to be trusted.

Oh, well. Free speech is a beautiful thing. Long live the BBS!

8. equinoxin

equinoxin Member

how about jordan? He took significantly less for the majority of his career just so he can win. People seem to forget that.

9. SamFisher

He took less than he was worth to the Bulls, but not less than any other team could have paid him due to the salary cap, Bird rights etc. NBA salaries didn't really explode till around 96-97 when he was coming back to the league. After that, he made far more money per year, adjusted for inflation, than anybody else, before or since. He was banking 30 million per season in 1998 and 99.

#49 SamFisher, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

People seem to forget that those $100mill plus contract are only about 8 or so years old. Jordan have banked had they of been around longer.

Scola deserves a 6-7 mill per year contract.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I wasn't arguing, its just those 2nd rd picks from europe are different. So, Detroit just didn't match Utah's deal? I guess since they already had ben,wallace,and darko on the bench and utah offered 9m per, they just decided to not even bother.

12. sporty8

sporty8 New Member

Obv. it depends a lot on salary cap situation and several other signings that summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if a good team (close to contending) throws a 10+ mil per year contract at him when (if) his contract expires.

For example, the Cavs, if they manage to resign LeBron, they'll have quite a bit cap-space left for other signings.
    Same goes for the Heat, they'll have A LOT of cap-space, again if they manage to resign Wade. (I just don't see Scola joining rebuilding teams)

Heat will be in a very interesting situation. They'll be able to re-sign Wade, but also get LeBron and Bosh (or Amare or smth.), but if that plan fails, they'll have to settle on some other players, and Scola comes to mind.

Anyway, it's a good thing he's restricted. That will discourage many teams from making him an offer, since they would tie up their cap space for a few important days.

P.s.: Off-topic: Heat will be in a really interesting situation in the summer of 2010. They only have Wades 17mil$ player option and a bunch of team options, and that's it! They have space for 2 more max players, I'm wondering why there's not more talk about it. I guess the media prefer making up stories around Knicks. ;)

13. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets should be wary of making too many roster changes. Plus, Scola is a bargain contract, his game keeps improving, and he's in his prime.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No worries, leebigez. Those 2nd rd picks from Europe are actually NOT different from a "CBA rules" perspective. The only differences are (1) the player is often coming over a few years after the draft in which he was selected and (2) he typically gets paid a little more than some American rookie would.

Yes, Detroit just didn't match Utah's deal for Okur. Okur was a restricted free agent. But Ben Wallace was coming up on a big money deal, Detroit had a promising young rookie in Darko, plus the Pistons also had Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson, Elden Campbell, Zeljko Rebraca and Darvin Ham at the 4/5 positions. Too many decent players for the Pistons to overspend on one of their bench players. They just didn't know that Okur would actually turn out to be worth all that money.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

So what if he's a restricted free agent? You can guarantee that he will get offered more than $6-$8 million by some European clubs. So you can forget about him being a restricted free agent meaning anything. The Rockets will have to shell out more than fans here are predicting. This thread sounds like all the "Rashard will take a pay cut to come to Houston" talk.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Scola probably won't require much, but unless Landry becomes the team's ultimate 6th man off the bench or we pick up a monster 6'10 or 6'11" draft pick/FA, I don't see us not going after Scola with everything we got.

The man is a glue player like Shane but with a solid offense and decent defense. His influence on the team has been huge for the Adelman/Morey era for the Rockets, as once he broke into the starting line up, it was when we started to actually win.