1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola's contract value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, May 29, 2009.

1. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I really love scola, I wish he gets 10M a year if he's not a Rocket. However, how much better he is compared with Landry? Let's say if Scola gets 8.5M a year, how will Landry feel? Happy because he sees his own potential market value? Or mad because he' so underpaid?
    Anyway Landry's next contract will be similar to Scola's, can we keep them both?

2. francexplosn

francexplosn Member

He should be paid similar to Haslem. 5years 3000-3500W. Haslem is a much better defensive player than luis. But luis has better offensive moves.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

10 million for scola is too much now, and way too much for the last few years of that deal given his age. If that is the price than Morey does not hesitate to cut him loose.

4. Prince

Prince Member

NO WAY!

5. xiejun0712

xiejun0712 New Member

the answer to fiim is definitely clear: resign him with a passable contract.He make the space yao creats by two persons on him effective,he can hit the jumpers and finish the offensive.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I believe Tim Duncan did to stay in San Antonio.

"Duncan has reached agreement with the Spurs on a two-year, $40 million extension that figures to give the team enough salary-cap flexibility to continue to surround him with a competitive support cast in the waning seasons of his career, two sources with knowledge of the deal said Monday.

...what is notable about the deal are the terms: Although Duncan is eligible to receive a two-year extension worth about $51 million under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, he agreed to nearly $11 million less because it could afford the Spurs greater flexibility to pursue free agents after the 2009-10 season."

I suppose you could argue Tim Duncan is no longer in his prime, but he definitely took a pay cut.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

My prior post as at the bottom of the page and easily miss-able, so I'll reiterate:

Luis Scola is a RESTRICTED free agent. The Rockets can take their time and see what his market value is. Plus, since he is restricted, the market for him will be greatly reduced, since most teams won't waste their time negotiating with him if they know the Rockets will match any offer.

Relax.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No he won't. He's a ufa with no strings. He was a 2nd rd import not on a rookie deal. If i'm wrong, pls explain why.

I think scola is on par with haslem. He's a 6-7m player given his age and production. If he was anything better, he wouldn't be splitting time with landry. On a open market, milsap would get more money than scola because he's a younger,better player.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Any player with three (3) seasons or less of NBA experience is automatically a restricted free agent, unless he was a first round pick whose team option was not exercised. Also, first round picks whose team options had previously been picked up are restricted free agents after their fourth season.

HTML:
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bimathug, I'm going to call or e-mail my nba guy to see. He's a agent and have knowledge of situations like this. I'm pretty sure if he was restricted, he would have a qualifying offer hold. Okur was in the same boat, and he burned off. I'll post it once he gets back at me.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Go ahead, I'd be interested to get his take. However, Larry Coon's FAQs are considered the Bible of NBA collective bargaining agreement knowledge, so I will trust him on this rule.

f you continue reading via the link I gave, you'll see that a qualifying offer DOES need to be made, which in Scola's case would be 125% of his previous salary, or about $4.17M. However, this qualifying offer is not the figure used to determine his impact on the Rockets' salary cap and luxury tax during negotiations. That amount would be the $6.7M cap hold, which is based on 200% of his previous salary.

Hope this explains the matter sufficiently. If not, I invite you to read Larry Coon's FAQ for more information.

12. Seth

Seth Member

13. Seth

Seth Member

Now about the topic i think based on other teams having a lot of money, the way Scola plays, the awards he has at the international stage, and the fact that all members of that Argentinean team have been widely considered to be players able to find ways to help their teams in effective ways i think Scola can be the recipient of a big contract from another team being a big man away for of contending.

For example, the Bulls could offer him a frontloaded 3 years 30 millions if they succesfully trade away Hinrich and Deng.
    Miami is in the same situation and will have plenty of cap room (their salary cap for 2010 is at 17 millions)
    The pistons will be rebuilding, but they might take a look at him (their cap is at 11 millions)
    Atlanta could choose to pair him up with Al Horford, and a backcourt of Josh Smith and resign Mike Bibby at 10-15 and still have plenty of cap room. (right now atlanta cap room is at 14 millions)

Those are a few of teams that will have no Power Forwards under contract after 2010, and will have a lot, and i mean A LOT of money to spend.
    I think the Rox should sign him as soon as they can, a frontloaded 3 years 30 millions or 4 years at 36 millions would do it. This contract would look like this: 10.4M first year, 9.5M second, 8.6M third, 7.8M last.

The contract would be declining as his skills and body does.

14. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

KG and Tim Duncan also took paycuts.

15. illteacher

illteacher Member

How on earth is Scola worse than Rashard Lewis? Bosh is a great player nothing to say about that but have you been paying attention to the outcome of every Bosh vs Scola matchup (NBA and FIBA)? In case you don't remember Scola killed him everytime... Scola is really underrated simply because he does not conform to the jump, dunk,lose but look nice style of many of the so called NBA stars. Houston is extremely lucky to have him and I'm pretty sure they would not trade him for anyone of the better PF's you mention.
    You forgot to mention Pau Gasol which is basically a PF ( and a very good one) unlike R.Lewis and some others you included on that list... ( I'm not Spanish or a Lakers' fan in case you were wondering )

16. trugoy

trugoy Member

A paycut means that you had two deals and you chose the deal with less money. Not that you took less money on your next contract, that's like saying steve franchise took a "paycut" to come back to the rockets, trust me, if any team actually offered franchise a better deal, he would be with them in an instant.

John Amaechi is the only example anyone can cite. And it does seem he turned down more money for playing time, although, he quickly regretted his decision since he joined the utah jazz one year later. I am sure any player who even contemplates that decision today will quickly have that story told to them by their agents.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Luis Scola is a huge part of this team's success. Especially post-McGrady.

If we let him walk, we WILL regret it.

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

Whether you like it or not, offense gets paid more than defense in the NBA. Chuck Hayes is a better defender than zach randolph, what are their contracts like?

19. trugoy

trugoy Member

It does seem you are right, he is restricted. That's a relief though I have no doubt that he will get a significant offer because there are so many teams with cap space.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cat gave us a hometown discount after his contract was up after 2 years. he wanted to be with Rudy and Stevie. This was before the Arenas rule. This is the reason why he opted out of his final year when he was in Sac, and took that big contract with the Clips.