1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Scout Video 1/3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Jul 15, 2007.

1. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Thanks for the insight! Can't wait to see him alongside Yao!

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great job Realjad! Very good stuff and it's better than just a highlight video.

One thing I noticed about Scola from this video and the ones in the other thread was Scola always goes towards the basket when he makes a move and doesn't mind contact. Seems like he never fades away. When the defender cuts Scola off he just changes direction and continues to move closer. He also moves well without the ball which fits Adelman's bill.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Oberto took a whole year to adjust to the NBA game (rarely played in the first season, played significant role in 2nd season). I think Scola may have to go through a similar adjustment period.

I hope he has the mental toughness to get through the adjustment and I also hope this board doesn't get hysterical if he struggles initially.

4. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

Wow Manu Ginobili!!!!!

Scola now has a good jumper

5. Astockmarketgod

well it looks like he is player who isnt afraid/or is willing to pass the ball... even when he has good position...

somthing I think Rox players as a whole, didnt do well... almost as if they had that im one on one/isolation play mentality....

hope he hasnt lost that...

6. scola

scola Member

Yes there is the 3 seconds rule in FIBA basketball. About the lane violations in free throws, the refs usually not pay attention to it. I don't think he will have a tough time with that in the NBA, he will adapt.

I agree with this, but he does rebound. He is not great at it though.

I liked what you said about him not being a physical player, but a finesse player. His play is based in his footwork and his soft hands. And as you said people can get the wrong impression watching highlights.

His mid-range shot is good but not great
    he wasn't his normal self in Athens? :confused:

That was his best showing with the National Team. :D

Was the second leading scorer of the team with 17,6 (66,2% 2pts).

And was the best player of the final scoring 25 pts and getting 11 rbs.

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

First of all, thanks for sharing the video.

But, I think he'll be fine. From everything I've read about him since the trade, he has really improved his overall game, especially his jumper. This is an experienced player who has excelled against any and all competition. He's going to be a great addition just on his passion, heart and basketball IQ alone. Those things translate more to the NBA than any stat.

I don't think the video does him justice since it's a little dated. Sure, he could be a bust but I think people have every right to be very excited about his addition and the real possibility that we filled a hole at starting PF exceptionally well. Is he THAT prototypical 4? No. But, he is a great fit next to Yao and especially in Adelman's system.

Oberto's name has been brought up as an example of Scola needing to adjust. But, it's not like Oberto played much better this season. he just got a lot more minutes. He had virtually the same production both years.

Looking forward to the other videos you are putting together. Appreciate the hard work.

#27 mogrod, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  8. Collector

Collector Member

definitely! luis should be nice complement to tracy and yao, he could bring rocket at least the PASSION and AGGRESIVENESS! lets scream. :eek: :eek:

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Great work. This is so much better than highlight video or mixes, it shows the best and worst
    of every thing.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Scola reminds me of a kid I used to play basketball with in High School. Basically, he'd score a ton because he flew around the court like his life depended on it, and everyone was afraid of getting trampled.

Scola is going to end few people's careers. We need to keep Mutombo, so that we can have him and Scola on the floor together. They'd need to call EMS to be there standby.

Also Scola ha a great knack at finishing. he may not be an all star right away, but he will be fun to watch.

Reminds me of a Najera/Bowen/Hayes type.

11. scola

scola Member

Scola will never be an all star, but a good role player.

Please don't compare him with Najera. ;)

12. blender

blender Member

Thanks Realjad for the excellent video.

13. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

Just watching the video, it appears alot of his struggles came when he was asked to create his own shot and post up against the more athletic defenders on the US. That is where he got careless with the basketball. If he's not asked to that, then I could see where he could be an asset as a power forward.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

"Uses his body well not to get blocked. "
    http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/luisscola.htm

i see this comment a lot in your video. hakeem was telling yao to lean in.
    this guy has a nose for knowing how his body will fly in the air and leans in and uses is back to protect his put backs.

15. WildSweet&Cool

Thanks, RealJad!

I think Scola is just okay, but put him on the floor with Tracy and Yao and he could be dangerous.

16. Navman

Navman Member

You hit it on the nose. That is the critical element that everybody is missing. Scola in his own right is decent, yes. Scola along with two of the most dominant players on the planet is very good. If you consider that he will almost -always- get single coverage at this point, and loads upon loads of backdoor cuts due to Adelman's offense, AND being the inside presence when Yao is on the high post...it all adds up to Scola being invaluable to us and his adjustment far easier than being on, say the Bobcats.

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

A lowlight video for once! It's actually pretty educational about scola.

18. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Looked damn encouraging to me. Three years ago and he still looked good. Actually did a decent job defending boozer and marion. He doesn't have to be KG for goodness sake.

By the way. He put up 5.9 Rb last year in 26 minutes. Holllinger says you get a 20% increase in boards in the NBA. So mathmatically that's 9.5Rb /game in the NBA in 35 minutes of play for Scola according to Hollinger.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

nice work man. as others have mentioned i'm interested in what you're going to post for his more recent work as we should see some improvement to what he currently is.

20. scola

scola Member

I want to point out again that this was a not so good game in an exceptional tournament for Scola.

So, its not really a good example to see the evolution of his game. In fact his change of role from good player of the team, to second star, he did it between the 2002 World Championships (he was the spark off the bench) and the 2004 Olympics (he was the second offensive threat of the team).