1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LSU's Tyrus Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketJedi, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I can't make up my mind as to whether Tyrus Thomas is going to be more like Amare Stoudamire or Stromile Swift. He is a very imressive player. But I do see Ryan Pittsnoggle as Matt Bullard with tatoos.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

This team needs something different. Tyrus Thomas is not different. We have Stromile Swift already... not to say he is as good as Tyrus. (Heck, Tyrus hasn't proved it yet in the NBA) But when we have seen Stromile at his best on this team... grabbing rebounds, scoring putbacks... it does not make our team that much better.

On the other hand, when a high basketball IQ player joined our team in Chuck Hayes, there was alot of hustle and genius plays that I am impressed with. High basketball IQ players are what we need, and Brandon Roy is an example of that. He is a NBA veteran in college basketball it seems like.

The only obstacle is getting a high enough draft pick to land him. He may be gone by the 6th or 8th pick.

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Not Stoudamire!! When he came into the NBA he was a boy with a man's body. Thomas doesn't have anywhere near that type of physique.

4. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I did not really mean his body, no comparison there I agree. I'm just wondering how his game will translate to the NBA. If he can get bigger then maybe he can resemble Amare more so than Stro. But if he remains more of
    stringbean then maybe will be more Stromile, great athlete but not big enough to own the paint.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Rodney Carney does not look like a fit on this team. Since his team has been down by 20, he did not make an effort to step up or at least play better D. JVG has said that this team needs players with a winning attitude. He saw that in Luther Head, I don't think he'll see it in Rodney Carney. Also, he looks more like a SF than a SG, his handles are horrible... he only dribbles with his right hand. Seems to have Luther Head handles. :D And he is usually on the perimeter waiting for the ball to get passed to him.

6. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

It's looking like 7 is the cutoff point if we want to draft a future stud.

Aldridge
    Gay
    Thomas
    Morrison
    Bargnani
    Noah
    Roy

One of them will be available at 7.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Roy would be a perfect complement to McGrady. Trade that second round pick to move up a spot or two to get him.

8. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I would LOVE it if we ever got Brandon Roy. He can score, pass, and defend a little. He's even good enough to play PG in the NBA. He would be a perfect third scorer on the rockets. That said, i doubt he's going to be available when we pick.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tyrus Thomas looked good now, but he also looks like he's a couple of BBQ plates from being a big fat expensive liability. Something to consider before drafting him.

10. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Thomas is simply a man in a boy's body.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

And how does that work, exactly?

Nobody is going to give up a spot in the lottery for our #32. We'd have to have another 1st rounder to offer in a draft this (seemingly) weak.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

You misread his post. He said we should trade our 1st and 2nd to move up a couple spots. Not trade up to the 2nd pick. ;)

14. ClutchCityReturns

No no...I read it correctly.

He's saying (for instance) that we trade our #9 and #32 for say...#7. No team will do that.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah... that's what I said...

But I do believe some team will do that.

16. ClutchCityReturns

Why? Just curious.

The way I see it, all the significant talent in this draft is going in the first 8 picks or so. The drop from 7 to 9 or 10 will likely make a huge difference in the talent available. The way this year's prospects are shaping up, an early second rounder just isn't going to be worth moving down a spot or two. Obviously anything is possible, but this is not a strategy that I think will work in the least.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Considering the weakness of the draft even packaging our 1st and 2nd round pick may not be enough to move 5-6 places up to get a better player.

18. wtplaya159

wtplaya159 Member

dont really post on here but love reading the material that everyone puts out. I would love to hear people's opinions on drafting tyrus thomas from Lsu if he decides to come out. This guy is a beast and it seems like he has a huge heart, something stromile shows little or none of. I think he would fit perfectly in jvg's system. I was wondering if you guys think he will last that long considering he improved his stock considerably in the tournament.

19. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

tyrus will be what stro was suppose to be.

can you imagine stro saying something like this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25lsu.html

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member