1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry/McHale Confrontation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by summitts20, Apr 23, 2012.

1. summitts20

summitts20 Member

I didn't see anything about this posted nor have I read anything about it, but I just saw this in the Power Rankings on ESPN.com

"Was a McHale/Lowry confrontation -- during the third loss of the Rockets' fatal 1-7 unraveling -- the episode that doomed these guys in spite of our favorite Dragon's MIP surge? A home win over New Orleans in Houston's finale would (gulp) make it three straight seasons out of the playoffs with a winning record."

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/17

Can someone expand on this please? Thanks

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's been all over - it was when McHale yanked Lowry (not paying attention) into the huddle and they exchanged words over it.

But it goes beyond that. Lowry didn't cause all the late game collapses. The Scola-Patterson tandem played more of a role in the end of game losses.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

BINGO! Horrible coaching and horrible line ups. I am sorry, but you do not throw Scola/Pat front line out there during the end of the games. We got slaughtered on the boards. It was disgusting to watch.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ya lowry may not have helped things, but the collapse is about 75% McHales fault.

I was a fan of hiring McHale when it happened but I'm questioning that now... Not sure why he continued to set Camby and Dalembert in late game situations, but he can look at that as a huge reason we aren't in the playoffs.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We cannot have a player openly defy the head coach. Wtf is Lowry thinking. Sad to see one of my favorite players become a damn headcase.

6. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I could not agree more. It surprises me that so few expressed this opinion. They liked Adelman, so it's cool to disrespect McHale?

Did no one play team sports growing up, or is everyone now allowed to have their own temper tantrum for fear that the coach may seem insensitive to the feelings of the students?

There is endless talk of who gets minutes and when they get them. Something that is worthy of analysis, but there are arguments to be made either way. In this case, I don't see how folks can honestly agree with Lowry on this one.

The Rockets were playing over their heads and needed every bit of chemistry they had going into the final push for the playoffs. It's probably not reasonable to blame Lowry for every loss, but it seems beyond coincidence that our free fall came his return. We were expecting to improve.

7. houseofglass21

One of the weirdest comments I heard from Bill Worrell last night late in the 4th quarter was:
    "Camby and Dalembert aren't in the game right because there's no one they can guard."

I guess because Miami had a smaller line up. Well, uh, sure they can't keep up with the smaller guys but they can clog the paint and stop layup after layup Bill.

But whatever, we were doomed to lose in the 4th when the LeBron free throw show takes over. He barrels his way thru the lane forcing contact and there's not much you can do to stop him.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Good teams force other teams to adjust and play their own game. Bad teams, bad coach, adjust and stick to what the opponent has on the court.

9. joesr

joesr Member

About three games ago, pregame report noted Dally sitting out or limited play time because of a soon to be hip surgery.

Same thing with Camby, he was hurting on something.

This is why they got limited playtime.

But go on blasting away with no clue.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think it's funny that people ignore that we were getting destroyed in the third quarter of almost all of those games with Camby and/or Dalembert in. You would think we were dominating third quarters and then McHale takes the big men out and the opposing team goes on a run.

1 person likes this.
  11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Maybe defying the coach publicly is his way of saying I don't want him back next season.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well it's not bill's fault, he's just explaining the reasoning behind Mchale's decision not to play them..

13. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

Probably more likely that it is his way getting his butt traded. More likely than McHale getting canned. But we will see.

14. mo_waiham

mo_waiham Member

I just simply do not like patrick's game. He needs to be more aggressive so we can actually stand a chance when our two bigs were out, either due to injuries or match-up issues. And this is random, but if we don't even play Kevin Martin because he's still injured, why don't we keep him on the inactive list until he's ready and give others a chance to play like Diamon Simpson?

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There could also be some additional possibilities here:

- McHale has been issued an order to tank, hence all the crappy lineups we have been seeing and Lowry does not like this.
    - Lowry is affected by rumors that Rockets may trade him to re-sign or extend Dragic and has become testy.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Scola and Patterson at the 4/5 was the death of me and the Rockets this season. I've been saying it since day 1.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The truth is Scola and Patterson were better defensively than Scola and Dally.

And the best defending big man combo on this team is Camby/Patterson. That is who should be rocking the closing lineup.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didnt see it, but it hardly sounds like a temper tantrum, **** happens, wouldnt be the first time a player had a bad moment....As long as Lowry doesn't make it a habit, then just chalk it up to a bad day/situation, isolated case....

19. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

What a classless thug. Suspend his ass for the entire postseason, oh wait...

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And who was responsible for that? And does anyone seriously believe Luis thought that lineup at the end of games during our collapse was a good idea?