1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry hit with possibly the worst offensive foul call ever!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IzakDavid13, Feb 6, 2014.

?

The Offensive foul & Technical

1. Justified, great call by refs...

14 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. You've got to be kidding me...

198 vote(s)
    84.3%
  3. Was offensive foul, but technical was harsh...

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Wasn't an offensive foul, but technical was deserved...

20 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Also didnt mention that the Kings shot 51 FTs...the Kings...

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

If you had watched Lowry's game at all over the years(as many of us have), you would know that the form he used to shoot the three that got called is the same exact form he always uses. He is a little guy and when he is trying to get height under his shot it looks like he is kicking them out.....the commentators mentioned how if he was kicking out on purpose it would only be one leg and not both like you see when he shoots.

Now, the tech....it comes down to his past behavior with refs. They considered the run down court to be "demonstrative"...no different to them than running towards them to protest a call......if it was anyone else they probably wouldnt have hit them with a tech, but Lowry has been bad about constantly barking at the refs for his entire career.

I personally think the NBA needs to back down a bit on the whistles(understatement of the year candidate there right?). I dont necessarily want to go back to the good old days in the 80s, but Im tired of hearing more whistles than made baskets on some nights.:mad:

3. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Wow, I am simply speechless. I thought "no way can this title not be an exaggeration" but :eek:

Props to Kyle, I don't think I could have held back from kicking the living **** out of that utterly incompetent fool of a referee. He has to be fired.

4. basketballholic

What was the saddest thing about this one was the fans are the ones that lost the most. Game was still in doubt until that call.

5. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Seeing the amount of free throws for the kings, the horrible call followed by the horrible tech.. it is almost like the refs are mad with power or something. Giving a technical for running in away, give me a break..

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

NAZIS! THEY'RE ALL NAZIS!

the nba refs are turning into nazis!

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The Raptors would have had to foul immediately and make it a FT contest from there on out - The Kings could potentially dribble the clock out to 1 second and then take a shot and by the time the shot makes it to the rim and clangs off that last second would expire.

The Raptors would have gotten another possession but there would be no way to guarantee that it would remain a 2 point game - more than likely it would have been a 4 point game.

They shouldnt have been in that position to begin with but that call was beyond terrible

8. tzou88

tzou88 Member

For whatever reason the refs are trying so hard to make the Kings relevant.

9. gambingo

gambingo Member

Better late than never, unfortunately, at the expense of the Raptors, and not the Lakers.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Glad the NBA is tightening up on flopping.

-kings fan

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep. The state of L.A needs something.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

and I'm sure they would have loved to have that opportunity.

how many times does a player miss 1 out of 2 late free throws and give the other team a chance to tie or win it with a three.

#72 across110thstreet, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. Lovemachine2000

This is eff'ed up!!!!!! I feel Lowry's pain.

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't mind the tech. That was the most demonstrative "walking away" I've ever seen.

That said, brutally stupid original foul call and I don't really blame Lowry for reacting in shock and horror.

1 person likes this.
  15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I think it's a borderline ridiculous call. He was fading away, so naturally his legs kicked out, but he also kind of shoots like that as it is. So his normal shooting motion, combined with an opposing player closing out on you, while you fade away, of course your legs are going to come out. They should have either made it a no call or a DEFENSIVE foul, he ran into him while he was coming down.

As for the technical, equally ridiculous. Apparently we want players to give it their all and love the game, but when the refs make a terrible call and take an enormous play off the board, what did they expect him to do? Would they have preferred he argued? He ran away! They were going to have to run back that way when the Kings got the ball anyways. This just makes no sense to me, one of the worst things Stern did for the league was to turn it into the white washed sissy league that it is today...but he made everyone millions so who gives a ****...

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

His reaction was demonstrative, but I get the feeling he ran off because he knew he was going to give the ref an earful had he stayed. You shouldn't T up players for being upset with calls, only when they allow their frustration out in unsportsmanlike ways. Avoiding conflict the way Lowry did should be applauded.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

And I don't think he even opened his mouth when he ran away. He was just so pissed he ran straight to the bench without saying a word...and that's a T?!

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The T is the more telling part.

The fact that he tried to avoid confrontation and still got Td up tells you how power hungry these reffs are.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think it is harder to tell from that angle, but it's very possible that Lowry was kicking his legs towards the defender (to the right of the basket). I've seen Harden and Parsons do this when the game is on the line hoping they will get the call if they do not make the shot. Anyway I don't agree with it being whistled.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Looked to me like the only reason the two players touched is because McLemore hit Lowry's leg during the course of Kyle's natural form of his jumpshot.