1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry hit with possibly the worst offensive foul call ever!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IzakDavid13, Feb 6, 2014.

?

The Offensive foul & Technical

1. Justified, great call by refs...

14 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. You've got to be kidding me...

198 vote(s)
    84.3%
  3. Was offensive foul, but technical was harsh...

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Wasn't an offensive foul, but technical was deserved...

20 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It probably was one of those "memos" that go out to the refs going "watch out for these players kicking out their legs" and the ref wanted to be a hero.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When the NBA still needs to employ 75 year old Dick Bavetta to be an official because of the lack of quality of other officials... it says a lot of the state of officiating as a whole.

They need to listen to the people who've done studies on where calls are missed the most... they need to employ stationary officials at the baselines, mid-court, and have a replay official to minimize delays.

The game has always been too fast for them... and now with advanced replay technology, HD tv, youtube, etc., their mistakes have never been more exposed.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

worst call ever

embarrassing

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wow, yes, I agree worst call ever.

If they called that a defensive foul, it would be understandable. That's how bad this call was. Lowry did not kick even slightly. The defender jump toward and that's how they made contact, which IS technically a foul against the defender.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

can't wait to see the league issue (yet another) statement how their refs botched (yet another ) late game call, with no repercussions or consequences.

lol Commissioner Silver was there...

6. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

One word: Ridiculous

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

yeah, NBAtv tuned in during this play and the Toronto commentators mentioned this was indeed one of the "point of emphasis" area of focus from the offseason...

it could have been a 2 point game with 25 seconds left. that would have guaranteed the Raptors another possession.

that's how a pro basketball game should end, not on a botched call like that.

8. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

All good shooters have a little fade on their shot. It relaxes the shoulders and contributes to a much more fluid, accurate stroke.

To say that it was an offensive foul is to say that Lowry kicked his feet out not to gain torque, but to diminish the defenders chance of an honest contest/block.

Did it really appear that he shielded his jumper with his leg(s)?
    Not really.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

don't forget Durant.

10. jocar

jocar Member

Refs need to start getting reviewed and fined. The league has gone cupcake

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

The NBA simply needs a philosophy change as far as officiating. Everything is a damn foul. When in doubt, they blow the whistle. It should be the other way around. Basketball is a contact sport, why are they turning this into such a wussified game? It's like they're scared of the game becoming too physical because they don't want fights to break out or something. This all started when Stern became obsessed with the league's image, i.e. dress codes. I'm hoping Silver can undo this ... the game is being ruined

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

If I don't understand something, that something NEVER see's the inside of my wallet. And I don't understand the NBA/refs anymore.

It's gotten so bad I didn't even miss missing the game last night.

I guess the games are more presentation than content these days.

'cest la vie

13. westcoastin

westcoastin Member

An egregious call for sure. Apparently the referee is not familiar with the sweep and sway.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Ref should be fined and suspended, at worst it's a no call, it should've been a shooting foul, and the tech was r****dation.

IF I was a player going against the mavs, I'd run into Dirks leg EVERY play, and I bet I'd get called for 6 fouls after just 6 attempts.... Bad officiating, NBA's finest.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do they have a system of accountability for refs? I've been saying this for a long time. They should review ref performance and fire the incompetent ones.

Use a point system just like the tech/flagrant point system for the players. You make a bad call, you get a point. When you accumulate certain amount of points, you get suspended. Some refs need to be suspended. Some need to be suspended for a LONG time.

And raise the pay scale to attract competent people to do the job.

That's just commonsense business practice to ensure quality of product.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It seems to me like Lowry flopped rather than commit a foul. He definitely kicked his legs out to try and get a call. However, that happens in the NBA all of the time. I don't agree with the call but I could see how he could be fined by the NBA for flopping.

17. Andrew Wiggins

Got off easy? So far this season anytime the defender touches the offensive player on the way down it's a foul. The defender has to allow the player to come down safely. The refs knew a foul had to be called and they went the BS route to cover a spread. That play resulted in Lowry being open off the switch after making a hard cut to the three point line. It's basketball and he took the shot in rhythm. So excuse me if I don't think Lowry got off easy.

He beat McLemore who fell down which resulted in the WIDE OPEN LOOK. He didn't have enough time to recover and contest the shot but he tried to anyways and he fouled. He was too late.

you are so...for real...I hate these guys who come out of the woodwork and always defend BS. I hate trying to correct them because they can't stop breathing out of their mouths.

IIRC it was Kings -3.5 on bovada, but tallonvor might be right. Who remembers these games (except for those who lost money betting on the Raptors to cover). If it was -3.5 then that means a 3 would have been danger zone since it only would have put the Kings up 3 with two Raptors time outs still remaining and time to get a final shot off if they don't foul. EVEN IF THE RAPTORS MISS then the spread would have still been covered. That's why the call had to be made in favor of the Kings.

51-24 is unbelievable.

http://www.nba.com/games/20140205/TORSAC/gameinfo.html

The FT disparity is glaring. Obvious Dirk fouls on one side and "playoff defense" on the other.

After a bull**** officiated game, he had a chance to come back and win, but the officials made sure he didn't. The refs didn't care how much they favored Sacramento in front of Kings fans or on a box score no one would click on. Lowry had every right to do more than what he did to express himself because at that point the game was already over.

The past is the past. If that's all we base things on then the NBA is rigged (as indicated in the past).

18. Andrew Wiggins

Have you ever played basketball in your life?

19. Andrew Wiggins

For bobloblaw since I doubt he reads:

That play resulted in Lowry being wide open off the switch after making a hard cut to the three point line. It's basketball and he took the shot in rhythm. Lowry beat McLemore, who fell down, which resulted in the WIDE OPEN LOOK. He didn't have enough time to recover and contest the shot but he tried to anyways and he fouled. He was too late to recover.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Line was Sacramento -1...and the kIngs covered by 7...hmmmmmmm not fishy at all...considering if that was a 3 and foul... the raptors wouldve been down by 2 points with 25.5 seconds left in the game...and the Kings are one of the worse FT shooting teams in the league.