1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowrie to get MRI on thumb from slide last night

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by donkeypunch, Apr 28, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

if you watched it live, Ashby and co. said it looked like his knee got stuck in the mud. This looked like it aggravated the slide and subsequently the impact on his wrist. Freak accident, sure, but what do you really want him to do? He contorted his body to avoid the slide, and got injured in a bang-bang play, trying to score the lead run.

2. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

YES, I expect Lowrie to change his mechanics of sliding to avoid further injury! How is this not hard to understand? It's early in the season but this is a injury that can cause our 'stros line up to feel for the next 3-4 series. Given Jed's prior issues with Houston and the way he walked away to Oak and then made his way back to our club, I say he has a lot to prove to the houston fanbase. Freak accident or not, he should try to avoid such unorthodox slides, even if it would cost us the lead run.

3. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Dude we traded Lowrie to Oakland for Trogdor, he didn't "walk away" anywhere

4. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

Actually, the Trade was for Carter and Peacock but that's getting off topic. When I say walked away, I meant how he was all hot too trot in the news about how he was here to support a young team in the ,then, first year of the ALW and then boom....gone.... All I'm trying to get at here is that I like Lowrie, as a player, he is vital to our line up and I hope for a quick recovery.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So ANY player who successfully performs the same act dozens, hundreds or thousands of times without any problems, who subsequently gets hurt due to a random issue, should change their mechanics?

6. vince

vince Member

Call up Correa!!!! :D

Just joking for right now. But i am thinking he may get a nod as soon as June.

Move Lowrie to 3rd base.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Correa is hitting 380. Its time to bring him up.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Luhnow was just on 790. Essentially said Correa isn't ready yet, they want to see him in AA as he plays second time around against teams. Good for adjustment purposes and scouting reports etc.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Villar being withheld from today's AAA Fresno game.

Probably in San Diego, in case Lowrie goes on DL today.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ha. That will only give Carlos time to adjust too! Which means that the 2nd time around those doubles will turn into triples! Triples into homeruns! And the homeruns will turn into...homeruns that cure someone's cancer or something. Something better, to be sure. Then we'll know it's time for him to go to The Show.

11. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

Again, yes! If for no other reason than to prevent further injuries.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You are saying that Clayton Kershaw should change his delivery that he has executed thousands and thousands of times if he were to step wrong for some random reason and sprain his ankle.

Who's to say that had Lowrie executed the perfect slide (in your mind) and happened to tear a hamstring, "just because".

Guys have blown an achilles or torn a muscle with the simple exercise of running to first base. Should they change their running style?

13. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

Lets agree to disagree. You asked and I answered. Get well soon Lowrie.

14. Buck Turgidson

Helicopter Parent Syndrome.

Any probability of any risk over 0% is just totally unacceptable.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lowrie on Disabled list. Out till after All Star game. Huge blow.

16. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The tear will require surgery and will sideline Lowrie until after the All-Star Break. The announcement was made by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> GM Jeff Luhnow.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/593200227282096128">April 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Bring up Correa!

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That is so disappointing. Lowrie was killing it.

19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I'll give Villar a few weeks to see if he can provide, but Correa should be an option with the way he is dominating AA

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Margo will get some burn but this flat out sucks. He'll come back like dwight and dominate.