1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowest attendance ever at Minute Maid? (2013-14)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Clutch City1993, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Games have been looking pretty dead lately during broadcasts with the exception of opening day & holidays.

What ya'll think?

Lowest ever?

It's a beautiful park.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Are there discounts to be had?

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Not sure. The record might have something to do with it.

More investigation required.

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

As someone who went to like 40 games a year at times I have no interest in going unless there is an important September game and there are more than 4 or 5 players that will actually be here in the future

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They've drawn pretty well for weekend series in the summer... Much better than their record deserves.

When the team starts winning again, the fans will be back.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is that five or ten years? :p

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Seems like they've been drawing surprisingly well. The lasted two games I attended (A Friday night game and Cosart's first home start) looked like they had 25-30k easy.

8. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I've been honestly surprised by the attendance. Tuesday nights look horrible, but weekends have been decent. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to people being able to bring food to games? If prices went down a little on tickets, I would have more interest on weekends when you can park for free and go at a decently low price.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Considering this team has nothing to offer casual fans, it certainly could be worse.

BTW Tampa has no business with a team, the fan base is pathetic, next to last in attendance again with one of the best organizations in baseball. In fact Florida in general should be reserved for spring training only.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The numbers are not good obviously, but comparatively speaking they aren't bad, and when the team begins to win again, which I think will be sooner than most think, the stadium will be packed again.

As mentioned earlier, Tampa shouldn't have a team. 2nd best record in the AL as we draw more.

Cleveland, 62-49 and would be in the wild card game if season ended today, draws less than 150 more fans per game than we do

Kansas City, 56-52 and in the playoff chase, averages only 2,700 more per game

The city of Houston is a much better "baseball town" than given credit for, this team will be good again and MMP will be packed. Now let's get those ugly billboards torn down

11. boozle222

This.

I wish we got more media recognition as a city for sports than we do. The Rockets should help with the national media that they will get this year. The Texans not choking on ... nevermind... would help a lot. And as the Astros get better, this city will rally around them.

We may draw poorly right now, but look at the early 90s. Terrible attendance only to be boosted by a strong nucleus in an old stadium. Sure, the steroid era only helped, but a good team was most of the battle. We will rally around these guys when the time comes. We may not be the best baseball city, but we are far from the embarrassments of Miami, Tampa, Cleveland, and KC.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Houston has some wonderful hardcore fans, but the casual fans in Houston pale when compared to Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and some other areas. Since leaving Houston I have noticed the incredible amount of casual fans in some other cities. I think it is because professional sports teams have only been in Houston since the early 1960's and there are so many transplants.

Having said that Houston is overall a good baseball town. The stadium is vastly under rated and players like Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman and Ryan are/were very popular and the fans can relate to them.

13. Remix

Remix Member

MMP will be packed in a few years when Correa, Appel, Springer, Singleton, and next years 1st round pick join Cosart, Villar, and Altuve. Looking forward to it :cool:

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Keep my seat warm :grin:

15. boozle222

I think all towns have their fanatics, and Houston may have more than most. I think you are spot on, though, when you mention the "casual" fan. If we had a team that just dominated over time, I think it would be more likely to see the casual fan go up in fan-dom. It is more just still building that brand... which I know other teams have done, but hey, it takes time.

16. the shark

the shark Member

I went to a game the last time the A's were in town on a Saturday night. There was less than 5,000 people there.